After more than 100 years of law practice, Smith Anderson is known for our trial-tested lawyers who combine their extensive courtroom experience with practical business judgment. Our law firm has successfully represented clients in cases at every level of the judicial system, in North Carolina and jurisdictions around the country, as well as complex national and international arbitrations. We are proud of our success in high stakes litigation: when your business is on the line, we embrace your challenges and devote ourselves to resolving disputes efficiently and successfully.
Our firm’s Litigation practice is recognized in Chambers USA, one of the leading ranking agencies for law firms and lawyers, where clients and peers have described our litigation attorneys as “well-prepared, convincing client advocates” (Chambers USA 2014). Benchmark Litigation, Best Lawyers in America© and North Carolina Super Lawyers also recognize our Litigation practice and a number of our individual litigators as among the best in the State.
From large multi-party, multi-jurisdiction litigation for large and public companies to mission-critical matters for small private and emerging businesses and pro-bono clients, we approach each case with the goal of resolving disputes efficiently and successfully. When your business is on the line, the trial experience and proven success of your legal team are essential.
We have extensive experience in counseling and representing clients in corporate and securities litigation and complex contract disputes; disputes between buyers and sellers of goods and services; real estate and construction disputes; environmental litigation; employment litigation, including non-competes and trade secrets; intellectual property protection; data breach disputes; and insurance recovery litigation. We have a strong track record at counseling manufacturers, as well as product retailers, distributors and insurance carriers on risk management and product liability claims. And when our clients need to appeal or defend trial court decisions, we have proven success in the appellate courts.
Our Medical Malpractice group is among the most storied in the State, having defended physicians, hospitals and other health care professionals in some of the most important and ground-breaking cases in North Carolina’s history. The group also assists health care professionals through pre-litigation claims, discovery, depositions and medical records analysis.
Our litigators are also experienced in alternative dispute resolution, such as mediation and arbitration.
We begin each case by understanding our client’s needs and goals, and we seek solutions that are both effective and practical. We recognize that litigation is not always the best option for a client. Successful results without litigation are enhanced, however, by our adversaries’ knowledge that Smith Anderson litigators will aggressively pursue a lawsuit if it is necessary.
We Know the Court System
We understand the court system, not just through trial experience, but because many of our lawyers are actively engaged with the continuous development of the judicial system.
We support the advancement of the legal profession and North Carolina Courts through leadership roles in associations and professional organizations that seek to improve the court system, including the Chief Justice's Commission on the Future of the North Carolina Business Court, the North Carolina General Statutes Commission, the Civil Local Rules Subcommittee for the Eastern District of North Carolina, the North Carolina Equal Access to Justice Commission, The North Carolina Bar Association, and The North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys.
Additionally, one of the co-leads of the Litigation practice is Chair of the Board of the North Carolina Chamber Legal Institute, which works to address policy and legislative issues affecting the state's business/legal climate.
We Build Lasting Relationships
We take the time to get to know our clients and their businesses, and our clients often rely on us as outside general counsel for all of their litigation needs. From counseling on risk management and document retention to arguing their most complex cases, we help our clients build for the future. As a full-service law firm, we also work with our colleagues across other practice areas to provide our clients with legal services in areas other than litigation. We are proactive and responsive in communication, are prepared and, above all, are devoted to our clients.
- Appellate Advocacy
- Complex Contract Disputes
- Corporate and Securities Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Insurance Recovery Litigation and Counseling
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Non-Compete and Trade Secrets
- Pharmaceutical and Medical Device
- Product Liability Defense
- Real Estate Litigation
News & Publications
- Smith Anderson Ranks Nationally and Regionally in Practice Areas by U.S. News and Best Lawyers® 2019 “Best Law Firms”U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, 11.07.2018
- Benchmark Litigation, 10.16.2018
- Business North Carolina Spotlights Smith Anderson’s Sammy Thompson’s Career as a Civil Defense AttorneyPublished by Business North Carolina, 07.26.2018
- Bloomberg Tax, 02.27.2018
- Smith Anderson Litigators Explain the Shifting Trends in M&A Litigation Against U.S. Public CompaniesIR Update magazine, published by the National Investor Relations Institute, January/February Issue
- Former Smith Anderson Partner Matthew G.T. Martin Confirmed to Serve as U.S. Attorney for the Middle District of N.C.11.20.2017
- Smith Anderson Recognized in 39 Practice Categories, Receives Two National Ratings in U.S. News and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”11.02.2017
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team11.30.2016
- U.S. News and Best Lawyers® Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories, Awards Firm Two National Ratings11.01.2016
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2018North Carolina Contract Law
- “Disclosure Settlements” Live On In North Carolina Merger Litigation – But Will the Fee Awards Continue to Justify Lawsuits?01.22.2018
- The Death of Merger Litigation Part II – The North Carolina Business Court Puts a Nail in the Coffin12.06.2016
- 08.08.2016Published by the American Bar Association, "Commercial & Business Section of Litigation" and "Corporate Counsel Section of Litigation"
- Tyranny of the Minority: North Carolina Business Court Explores Potential Fiduciary Duties of Minority Shareholders10.01.2015
- 08.2015Per Curiam (Published by the Appellate Practice Section of the North Carolina Bar Association)
Events & Webinars
- Cerretta Amos
- Deanna Anderson
- Zebulon Anderson
- J. Mitchell Armbruster
- Andrew Atkins
- David Berry
- Clifton Brinson
- Toby Coleman
- Robert Desmond
- James Dorsett, III
- Sarah Fox
- Eva Frongello
- Susan H. Hargrove
- David Hayden
- Brandon Heffinger
- J. Travis Hockaday
- John Jo
- Rosemary Kenyon
- Christopher Kiger
- Kimberly Korando
- Patrick Lawler
- Timothy Lehan
- Isaac Linnartz
- John Madden
- Wayne Maiorano
- Peter Marino
- Bryan McGann
- Scott Miskimon
- Michael Mitchell
- Jackson Moore
- Robert Joseph Morris
- William Moss
- Susan Milner Parrott
- David Pasley
- Carl Patterson, Jr.
- Elizabeth Raymond
- Matthew Rhoad
- Addie Ries
- Steven Sartorio
- Amelia Serrat
- Kerry Shad
- C. Ernest Simons, Jr.
- Donald Tucker, Jr.
- William Vaughn
- Kirk Warner
- Sharita Whitaker
- Gray Wilson