Taylor Dewberry joined Smith Anderson in 2017. She is an associate in Smith Anderson’s Employment, Labor and Human Resources practice group. Her practice focuses on employment-related counseling and defending employers against claims involving discrimination, wrongful discharge, retaliation, harassment and civil rights claims. She has represented clients in state and federal courts and agencies throughout North Carolina.
Areas of Focus
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch®, Labor and Employment Law – Management (2022-2024)
- The National Black Lawyers Top 100, Top 40 Under 40 (2020)
- Executive Notes Editor, Washington University Journal of Law and Policy
- Judicial Intern, Chief Justice Mark Martin, North Carolina Supreme Court
- Judicial Intern, Judge James A. Wynn Jr., United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Washington University School of Law, cum laude, J.D., 2017
- Stanford University, B.A., with honors, American Studies with a minor in African-American Studies, 2014
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- American Bar Association
- District 9 Representative, Young Lawyers Division
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Young Lawyers Division, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (2018-2022)
- Co-Chair, Young Lawyers Division, Disaster Legal Services Committee
- Wake County Bar Association
- Executive Board Member, Black Law Students Association
- Advised a Nasdaq-listed pharmaceutical development company in the acquisition of a specialty dermatology company for up to $51 million in up-front and contingent consideration.
- Advised a global contract research organization and drug development services company in a transaction to acquire a provider of mobile-connected self-service platform solutions for decentralized clinical trials that included cross-border employment issues for employees and contractors located in Europe and India.
- Advised a life sciences company on its acquisition of a clinical manufacturing facility for an undisclosed amount.
- Advised a specialty pharmaceutical company in its acquisition of a private pharmaceutical company focusing on pediatric medications.
- Advised a leading contract research organization on the employment law aspects of a definitive agreement to acquire a provider of contract research, clinical and regulatory and other consulting services.
- Defended employers against claims involving discrimination, wrongful discharge, retaliation, harassment, wage and hour, and civil rights claims.
- Represented clients in investigations conducted by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Presented on workplace issues, such as recruiting, onboarding and sexual harassment law.
- Conducted an internal investigation into workplace harassment.
- WRAL Offers Primer on DEI Initiatives in the Workplace with Smith Anderson’s Chief Diversity OfficerNews
- Smith Anderson Achieves All Time Highs for Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Three CategoriesBest Lawyers®News
- North Carolina Lawyers Weekly Features Q&A on DEI Initiatives With Chief Diversity Officer Taylor DewberryQuoted
- A Place at the Roundtable: Chief Diversity Officer Taylor Dewberry Joins Other Business Leaders to Talk Diversity and InclusionBusiness North CarolinaQuoted
- Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognizes 98 Smith Anderson Attorneys in Latest PublicationBest Lawyers®Recognition
- Smith Anderson Attorneys’ Presentation to N.C. State Football Team Wins National Public Service AwardRecognition
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers
- The National Black Lawyers
Publications & Alerts
- Note – Title VII and African American Hair: A Clash of Cultures, Washington University Journal of Law and Policy, Vol 54
- Published by North Carolina Bar Association's NCBarBlog, Young Lawyers DivisionPublication
- Employee Privacy Laws: North CarolinaPractical Law™ Labor & Employment
Events & Programming
- Panelist, "Let’s Get Serious about (Having) Fun," North Carolina Chamber's Women > A Force in Business Conference, Raleigh, N.C.Speaking Engagement
- Moderator, "Key Developments for Multi-State Employers," Smith Anderson's 30th Annual Employment Law Update, VirtualSpeaking Engagement
- Panelist, "What’s New for 2022 in Employment Law," Smith Anderson's 30th Annual Employment Law Update, VirtualSpeaking Engagement
- Panelist, "Diversity in Business, Embracing Our Differences," Roundtable hosted by Business North Carolina, Raleigh, N.C.Speaking Engagement
- Presenter, “Fostering LGBTQ+ Equity, Inclusion and Belonging: Past, Present and Future” North Carolina Bar Association CLE, Cary, N.C.Speaking Engagement
- Co-Panelist, "Hot (Non-COVID-19) Topics in Employment Law," Smith Anderson 29th Annual Employment Law Update, VirtualSpeaking Engagement
- Panel Member, "Hot Topics in Employment Law,” Smith Anderson 28th Annual Employment Law Update, VirtualSpeaking Engagement
- Co-Presenter, "Good Trouble: Making It Good, Avoiding the Trouble," Smith Anderson 28th Annual Employment Law UpdateSpeaking Engagement
- Co-Presenter, "Boomers, Bots and Gen Z," Smith Anderson 27th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.Speaking Engagement
- Co-Panelist, "Panel Discussion - Hot Topics in Employment Law," Smith Anderson 27th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.Speaking Engagement
- Co-Presenter, "The Post-#MeToo Era: Emerging Trends & Best Practices,” Smith Anderson 26th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.Event