Elizabeth Raymond is a member of Smith Anderson’s Real Estate Development practice group, and her practice focuses primarily on construction law. Elizabeth advises owners, developers, and contractors on a variety of construction related matters, including drafting construction contracts, professional design services agreements, consulting contracts and subcontracts. While her current litigation practice focuses on construction disputes, Elizabeth’s commercial litigation experience at Smith Anderson includes representing clients in connection with breaches of commercial contracts, with collection actions and enforcement of judgments and with business litigations involving unfair trade practices and trade secrets, fraud and misrepresentation and breach of fiduciary duty.
After graduating from the University of Michigan Law School in 2002, Elizabeth first practiced as a labor and employment litigation associate attorney in the Chicago, Illinois, office of a global law firm. When Elizabeth moved from Chicago to her hometown of Indianapolis, Indiana, she was admitted to the Indiana State Bar and joined the Competitive Business Practices Litigation group of a large law firm as an associate attorney focusing on injunctive relief, trade secrets and unfair competition. After settling in Raleigh, North Carolina, Elizabeth joined Smith Anderson in 2016 as a member of the firm’s Litigation practice group. She was admitted to the North Carolina State Bar in 2018 and transitioned to membership in Smith Anderson’s Construction Law practice group in 2022.
Areas of Focus
- DePauw University English Department Panel Discussions (2004 & 2007)
- Editorial Board, Dicta, The University of Michigan Law School’s Literary Magazine (2000-2002)
- The University of Michigan School of Law, J.D., 2002
- DePauw University, B.A., magna cum laude, with honors,1999
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1999
- Mortar Board, 1999
- King’s College, London (Spring, 1998)
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- Junior League of Raleigh (2012-present)
- Junior League of Indianapolis (2004-2012)
- Board of Directors, Park Tudor School Alumni Association, Indianapolis (2004-2008)
- Board, Indianapolis Alumni Association of Kappa Kappa Gamma (2004-2006)
- NewsUnited Therapeutics Unveils Net Zero Energy Distribution Center
- AlertConstruction Project Participants Face Differing Time Limits for Claims as NC Court of Appeals Interprets Definition of "Substantial Completion"
- Combating Prohibited Access to Computers, Using the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act in the Corporate Context
Publications & Alerts
- Construction Project Participants Face Differing Time Limits for Claims as NC Court of Appeals Interprets Definition of "Substantial Completion"Alert
- Combating Prohibited Access to Computers, Using the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act in the Corporate ContextIndiana Lawyer