Jackson Wyatt Moore, Jr.'s practice focuses on government contracting and business dispute resolution, including litigation, mediation, and arbitration.
Jackson has significant experience handling complex civil litigation, including class actions, shareholder and internal corporate disputes, breaches of contract and trade practices, intellectual property matters and investor and employment litigation. He has handled numerous matters on an expedited basis and has represented parties in disputes pending in state and federal trial courts, the North Carolina Business Court, and the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
Jackson’s government contracting practice includes dispute resolution, including pre- and post-award bid protests of federal and state agency procurements; practicing before the Government Accountability Office (GAO) and the Small Business Administration (SBA) Office of Hearings and Appeals (OHA); pursuing Requests for Equitable Adjustment (REAs) and claims before the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals (CBCA), the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals (ASBCA) and state and federal courts; and litigating contractor disputes with other private businesses. His compliance work helps clients to navigate the provisions of the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and agency subparts (including the DFARS) as well as state of North Carolina requirements. Jackson also drafts subcontracts, teaming arrangements and joint venture agreements so that they comply with applicable federal and state law.
Before joining Smith Anderson in 2001, Jackson practiced at one of the Southwest's largest, full-service law firms in Houston, Texas.
Areas of Focus
- Benchmark Litigation, North Carolina Litigation Star (2020-2023)
- Benchmark Litigation, North Carolina Future Star (2012-2019)
- Best Lawyers®, Commercial Litigation (2019-2022)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- Co-author: North Carolina Chapter for the Guide to State Procurement: A 50 State Primer on Purchasing Laws, Processes and Procedures (American Bar Association)
- Assistant Editor, North Carolina Construction Law Deskbook, 3rd & 4th Editions
- Presenter on Various Government Contracting Topics
- Clerked for the Honorable John D. Rainey, United States District Judge for the Southern District of Texas
- Interned for the Honorable Rosemary Barkett of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Duke University, J.D., with honors, 1995
University of Virginia, B.A., with distinction, 1992
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Carolina
- American Bar Association, Public Contracting and Litigation Section
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Litigation Section Member
- Privacy & Data Security Member
- Member, Defense Alliance of North Carolina
- Wake County Bar Association
- Appellate Guardian ad Litem
- Committee Chair & Merit Badge Counselor, Scouts BSA Troop 28 (Girls’ Troop and Boys’ Troop)
Specific government contracting matters
- Representation of Contractor in Appeal of Agency of Request for Equitable Adjustment before Civilian Board of Contract Appeals.
- Assistance of novation of federal government contracts in connection with mergers and acquisition transactions.
- Analysis of auditing, compliance and reporting requirements in connection with federal grants funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.
- Assisting clients in various bidding issues involving state and local governments relating to public contracts.
- Analyzing compliance with disadvantaged business enterprise participation requirements and qualifications for small business set-asides.
- Preparing joint venture and contractor/subcontractor "teaming agreements" between large companies and small businesses seeking federal government contracts.
Specific dispute resolution and litigation matters
- Defending multiple out-of-state lawsuits brought by shareholders alleging corporate misconduct and seeking dissolution, a compelled dividend, and other relief.
- Defending multiple securities class actions brought by shareholders/members of agricultural cooperative seeking dissolution and money damages for alleged breaches of fiduciary duties.
- Defending a trustee of securitized assets against claims of negligence and wrongdoing resulting in alleged damages exceeding $200 million.
- Representing of Minority Shareholders in Pursuit of Appraisal, Securities and Breach of Fiduciary Duty claims in connection with squeeze-out merger.
- Obtaining emergency relief through arbitration and litigation with respect to clients' intellectual property, including software license, trademarks and patents.
- NewsTeamworks Gains Four Cutting-Edge Software Firms
- Speaking EngagementCo-Presenter, "Defense Contractor Academy Debriefings, Protests & Contract Administration," NCMBC Virtual Defense Contractor Academy
- Speaking EngagementCo-Presenter, "Affiliation, Contractor Teaming Arrangements, and Mentor-Protégé Relationships," NCMBC Virtual Defense Contractor Academy
- Smith Anderson “Highly Regarded” in Benchmark Litigation and Labor and Employment Rankings – 15 Attorneys HonoredBenchmark LitigationRecognition
- Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognizes 98 Smith Anderson Attorneys in Latest PublicationBest Lawyers®Recognition
- Smith Anderson Adds a Future Litigation Star to Its 2022 Benchmark Litigation Rankings with Eleven Attorneys HonoredBenchmark Litigation
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers
- Benchmark Litigation
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®
- Benchmark Litigation Honors Smith Anderson’s Litigation and Employment Litigation Groups and 12 LawyersBenchmark Litigation
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©
- Benchmark Litigation
- The Best Lawyers in America©
- Smith Anderson Partner Jackson Moore Discusses Government Contract Requirements of Potential Sale of Long-Term Care Insurance BusinessThe Capitol Forum, Vol. 6 No. 98
- Smith Anderson Receives Award for Excellence and Innovation at the 2017 Southeast Region Federal Construction, Infrastructure & Environmental Summit
- Benchmark Litigation
- Jackson Moore Speaks on Government Contracting to the Fort Bragg Post of the Society of American Military Engineers
- Jackson Moore Offers Guidance on Government Contracting Compliance to Members of the NC Veteran’s Business Association
- Jackson Moore and David Hayden Speak at Small Business and Technology Development Center’s Supplier Diversity Workshop
- Jackson Moore and David Hayden Speak at North Carolina Military Business Center’s Defense Contractor Academy
- Jackson Moore and David Hayden Speak at North Carolina Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC)
- Jackson Moore and David Hayden Speak at the North Carolina Bar Association’s 2012 Business Law Institute on Contracting with the Federal Government
Publications & Alerts
- Contributor, Guide to Fixed-Price Supply Subcontract Terms and Conditions, Fifth Edition, American Bar Association Section of Public Contract Law (2016)
- Co-author, "North Carolina" and "Missouri," State False Claims Acts: A Practitioner's Guide to the False Claims Laws of the Various States, American Bar Association (2014 ed.)
- Author, “Cyber Security, Counterfeit Parts, and the Government Contractor,” Inside the Minds: Government Contracts Compliance (2013 ed.)
- Co-author, "Qualifying as a Small Business for Government Construction Contracts," 2009 White Paper
- Labor or Bust? President Biden Orders Project Labor Agreements for Large Federal Construction ProjectsAlert
- The National Defense Authorization Act Makes Significant Changes Relevant to SBIR and STTR Program Participants
- Sons of Cyberlock: Recent Decisions Underscore Challenges in Drafting Enforceable Federal Contracting Teaming Agreements
Events & Programming
- Panelist, Risks, Costs, Disputes and Litigation, North Carolina Chamber and U.S. Chamber of Commerce's 2015 Cybersecurity Conference, Durham, N.C., December 15, 2015
- Panelist, Contracting Technical, Small Businesses and Legal Issues, FEDCON Summit 2015, Wilmington, N.C., October 29, 2015
- Presenter, Teaming Agreements, Bid Protests and Construction Administration, Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) Coastal Carolina Post's 2015 Small Business Conference, Camp Lejeune, N.C., August 13, 2015
- Co-Presenter, The Lifecycle of an Insurance Claim (With a Focus on D&O Insurance), Smith Anderson's Executive Roundtable Series: Session I, RTP, N.C., March 12, 2015
- Presenter, You will be Hacked (If you Haven't Already)...,Joint event presented by The Research Triangle Park, Durham Chamber of Commerce and Smith Anderson, RTP, N.C., January 21, 2015
- Panelist, Contracting Technical and Legal Issues, FEDCON Summit 2014, Wilmington, N.C., October 16, 2014
- Presenter, It’s 2014: You Will Be Hacked, Vaco CPE Seminar, Paragon Commercial Bank, Raleigh, N.C., September 24, 2014
- Panelist, It's 2014 - You Will Be Hacked!, Joint Presentation by The Research Triangle Park, Durham Chamber of Commerce and Smith Anderson, RTP, N.C., March 18, 2014
- Co-Presenter, Teaming Agreements, Bid Protests and Contract Administration, North Carolina Military Business Center’s (NCMBC) 2014 Defense Contractor Academy (Cary, N.C., March 14, 2014)
- Panelist, Teaming Agreements and Subcontracting, 2013 Small Business Workshop, Fort Bragg Post of the Society of American Military Engineers (Raleigh, N.C., November 21, 2013)
- Co-Presenter, Government Contracting: Legal and Accounting Issues, North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants’ 74th Annual Symposium (Greensboro, N.C., November 20, 2013)
- Panelist, Teaming Agreements, North Carolina Federal Construction, Infrastructure & Environmental (FEDCON) Summit (Wilmington, N.C., October 17, 2013)
- Speaker, Small Business Compliance, North Carolina Veteran’s Business Association 2013 Procurement Summit (Fayetteville, N.C., July 24, 2013)
- Speaker, Mentor-Protégé Programs and SBA Audit – Best Practices, Small Business and Technology Development Center’s Supplier Diversity Workshop (Cary, N.C., May 30, 2013)
- Speaker, Contracting with the Federal Government, North Carolina Bar Association Business Law Institute (Pinehurst, N.C., 2012)
- Speaker, Teaming Agreements: Joint Ventures and Subcontracting, North Carolina Military Business Center Defense Contractor's Academy (Charlotte, N.C., 2012)
- Speaker, Protests, Debriefings and Contract Administration Issues, North Carolina Military Business Center Defense Contractor's Academy (Fayetteville, N.C., 2011)
- Speaker, Teaming Agreements: Joint Ventures and Subcontracting, North Carolina Military Business Center Defense Contractor's Academy (Raleigh, N.C., 2011)
- Speaker, Bid Protests and Debriefings - 10th Annual Defense Trade Show, (Fayetteville, N.C., 2011)
- Speaker, Legal Issues in Government Contracting, 2010 Small Business Conference for Veterans (Cary, N.C., 2010)
- Co-Presenter, "Defense Contractor Academy Debriefings, Protests & Contract Administration," NCMBC Virtual Defense Contractor AcademySpeaking Engagement
- Co-Presenter, "Affiliation, Contractor Teaming Arrangements, and Mentor-Protégé Relationships," NCMBC Virtual Defense Contractor AcademySpeaking Engagement
- Co-Presenter, "Making Sense of COVID-19 Vaccine Mandates," Live Webinar in Partnership With North Carolina Military Business CenterSpeaking Engagement
- Presenter, "Joint Ventures and Teaming Legal Perspective," NCMBC Mentor-Protégé, Joint Ventures and Team Training WebinarSpeaking Engagement
- Presenter, "Mentor-Protégé Legal Perspective," NCMBC Mentor-Protégé, Joint Ventures and Team Training WebinarSpeaking Engagement
- Co-Speaker, "Latest Developments in Government Contracting Labor and Employment Laws," Live Webinar hosted by Defense Alliance of North CarolinaSpeaking Engagement
- Speaker, "Bid Protests and Contract Administration," NCMBC's Defense Contractor Academy, Charlotte, N.C.Event
- Panelist, "Technical and Legal Small Business Update," NCMBC's Southeast Region Federal Construction, Infrastructure and Environmental Summit, Wilmington, N.C.Event
- Speaker, “Debriefings, Protests and Contract Administration Issues,” Defense Contractor Academy, Cary, N.C.Event
- Co-Speaker, "Cybersecurity Issues in Government Contracting," Society of American Military Engineers, Fort Bragg, N.C.Event
- Co-Speaker, "A Company’s Legal Obligations in the Event of a Data Breach," North Carolina Technology Association Lunch and Learn, Raleigh, N.C.Event
- Panelist, "Technical and Legal Small Business Issues Dialogue," Southeast Region Federal Construction, Infrastructure and Environmental Summit, Wilmington, N.C.Event
- Speaker, "Teaming-Contracts/Subcontracts," Southeastern Tri-Regional JETS, Society of SAME, Charleston, S.C.Event
- Speaker, “Protests-Size/Small Biz Compliance/Affiliation/Exceptions,” Southeastern Tri-Regional JETS, Society of SAME, Charleston, S.C.Event
- Speaker, “Disputes-Requests for Equitable Adjustments & Claims/Damages," Southeastern Tri-Regional JETS, Society of SAME, Charleston, S.C.Event
- Speaker, "The Exciting World of Indemnification in Government Contracting," NCMA Chapter Meeting, RTP, N.C.Event
- Co-Presenter, "Government Contracting and Set Aside Programs," live broadcast on WCOM LPFM: Carrboro Community Radio, Chapel Hill, N.C.Event