2015 Chambers USA Honors Twenty-Five Smith Anderson Lawyers
Raleigh, N.C. – In its 2015 edition, Chambers USA, one of the leading ranking agencies for law firms and lawyers, has listed 25 Smith Anderson lawyers among the leading attorneys in North Carolina. Each year, Chambers USA publishes its national guide ranking law firms and lawyers based on independent research obtained from clients, peers and members of the business community. For the second consecutive year, one of our lawyers has received the highest and rarest ranking awarded by Chambers USA, “Star Individual,” in the category of Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use law. In addition, our Firm has more lawyers recognized within the practice of Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions in 2015 than any other North Carolina-based law firm, including the only two women attorneys to be recognized in the State for this category.
Our Firm’s full practice and lawyer rankings are outlined below.
Practice Area Rankings
Chambers USA honored Smith Anderson with recognition for the following practice categories: Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions, Banking & Finance, Environment, Labor & Employment, Litigation: General Commercial, and Real Estate.
Throughout the research process, Chambers USA speaks with clients and peers who evaluate our Firm. Included below are some of the reviews we were fortunate to receive.
- "A really good firm with experienced lawyers and a great combination of legal and business judgment."
- "I am thrilled with their level of support, the pragmatic approach they take and the support for the company. Smith Anderson understands our ethos and our approach."
- "They are methodically persistent in producing results. They push back against regulators, they are meticulous and they leave no stone unturned."
- "The thing about the firm that I really like is that they want to take care of their clients."
In Chambers USA’s individual lawyer rankings, 25 partners were recognized among the leading attorneys in North Carolina. Lawyers are assessed on their ability to demonstrate exceptional technical legal ability, professional conduct, client service, commercial astuteness, diligence and commitment to the client. The following Smith Anderson attorneys are some of the highest rated lawyers in the State:
- Lacy Reaves (Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use l): The head of Smith Anderson’s Land Use & Zoning practice received the prestigious “Star Individual” rating. This is the highest rating awarded by Chambers USA to lawyers who receive exceptional recommendations from clients and peers. A commentator states, "He has an excellent reputation as someone you can rely on to speak truthfully to you. He is an old-school gentleman and an excellent person who does a good job for his clients."
- John Jernigan (Corporate/M&A): Rated Band One, Smith Anderson’s Chairman is described as, “… an excellent business person who can understand, from a business point of view, how the law can help you. He is able to build a consensus from both sides in a negotiation."
- Kimberly Korando(Labor & Employment): Rated Band One, the head of Smith Anderson’s Labor & Employment practice “attracts significant praise for her practical approach and is described by sources as ‘really hard-working and smart.’"
- Gerald Roach (Corporate/M&A): Rated Band One, sources described the head of Smith Anderson’s corporate practice as, "the go-to business lawyer for boards and CEOs in North Carolina" and "the dean of North Carolina corporate law."
- Samuel Thompson (Litigation: Healthcare & Medical Malpractice): Rated Band One, an interviewee noted that Smith Anderson’s head of Medical Malpractice Defense “is known as one of the best medical malpractice lawyers in the state."
The following is a list of all Smith Anderson lawyers who are honored as leading attorneys in the 2015 Chambers USA guide:
Banking & Finance
Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions
- Amy Meyers Batten
- Martin Brinkley
- Christopher Capel
- Robert Duggins
- Timothy Goettel
- John Jernigan
- Byron Kirkland
- Gerald Roach
- Margaret Rosenfeld
Labor & Employment
Litigation: General Commercial
Litigation: Healthcare & Medical Malpractice
Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use
CLICK HERE to learn more about recent recognition our Firm and individual lawyers have received from clients, peers and the business community.
About Smith Anderson
Founded in 1912, Smith Anderson has grown to become the largest business and litigation law firm headquartered in the Research Triangle region and one of the largest in North Carolina. We provide a full range of legal services to a diverse and dynamic group of regional, national and international companies. Over one hundred years of practicing law has grounded our Firm's culture, informed our perspective and provided us the insight necessary to help our clients succeed. Over time, our core principles have remained unchanged. We remain personally dedicated to the success, prosperity and betterment of our clients, our friends and the communities we serve. For more information, please visit www.SmithLaw.com.
- Managing Partner
- Firm Chair