Investing in the communities we serve, both professionally and personally, has been a hallmark of Smith Anderson since our founding in 1912. Our people hold significant leadership positions in a wide range of civic, charitable and philanthropic organizations at local, regional and national levels and serve or have served on the boards of prominent North Carolina colleges and universities. In support of their service and of our client’s initiatives, each year our firm sponsors more than 100 events and supports more than 80 nonprofits and industry groups. We offer continuing education opportunities to members of our local and state bar associations and contribute to campaigns for service and law-related projects and keeping their facilities updated.
Smith Anderson fosters a culture that supports and encourages advocacy on behalf of those with limited means. To mark our firm's centennial, we committed $100,000 to Legal Aid of North Carolina, a nonprofit law firm that provides free legal advice to low-income individuals. Our attorneys spend thousands of collective pro bono hours each year counseling Legal Aid clients on their most pressing legal issues, which include assisting impoverished tenants who are denied their rights by landlords; advocating for abused and neglected children by supporting Guardian ad Litem appeals; helping disabled veterans secure their legal rights; and representing nonprofits to resolve legal issues that would otherwise drain funds from the communities they serve.
Smith Anderson Community Fund
Through our charitable arm, the Smith Anderson Community Fund, we provide financial assistance to organizations that support underprivileged individuals, children and families in need of food, medical aid, housing and education, as well as groups that address racial equality. Since its inception, the Smith Anderson Community Fund has contributed over $450,000 to more than 40 nonprofits.
Organizations We Support
Smith Anderson sponsors and is committed to more than 80 nonprofits and industry groups dedicated to furthering our mission of civic and altruistic service, including, but not limited to:
- A Place at the Table
- Activate Good Inc.
- Addiction is Real, Inc.
- Alliance Medical Ministry
- American Heart Association
- Band Together NC
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Triangle
- Boys & Girls Clubs
- Building for Good, Inc.
- Children's Flight of Hope
- Communities in Schools in NC, Inc.
- Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina, Inc.
- First Tee Triangle/Triangle Golf Foundation
- Frankie Lemmon Foundation
- HQ Raleigh, LLC
- Industries of the Blind, Inc.
- Inner Banks STEM Center, Inc.
- Midtown Raleigh Alliance Inc.
- C. Bar Foundation
- North Carolina Arts in Action
- NC Biosciences Organization
- NC Business Committee for Education
- NC Community Colleges Foundation, Inc.
- NC Senior Living Association
- NCCU Foundation, Inc.
- Neighbor to Neighbor Ministries, Inc.
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Biotechnology Center
- North Carolina Chamber of Commerce
- North Carolina Defense Business Association
- North Carolina Medical Society Foundation
- North Carolina Museum of Art
- North Carolina Technology Association
- Occoneechee Council, Boy Scouts of America
- Pretty In Pink Foundation
- Raleigh City Farm
- Raleigh Midtown Kiwanis Children's Fund
- Regional Transportation Alliance
- Research Triangle Foundation of North Carolina
- Rise Against Hunger, Inc.
- Rotary Club of the Capital City
- The Salvation Army
- The Foundation Fighting Blindness
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- The North Carolina Symphony
- The Triangle Community Coalition
- The V Foundation for Cancer Research/Don't Ever Give Up, Inc.
- Triangle Artworks, Inc.
- Triangle Community Foundation
- UNC School of Law
- United Way of the Greater Triangle
- USO of North Carolina
- Veterans Life Center
- WakeMed Foundation
- YMCA of the Triangle
"The lawyers are incredibly responsive, acutely aware of the urgency of matters and never fail to deliver. They understand not only our business but also our culture and team dynamics."Client quotation as published in Chambers USA
"The team provides top-end talent, experience and quality of work."Client quotation as published in Chambers USA
"Their work is excellent. The timing, responsiveness, negotiation quality, personality, thoroughness and cost management are all beyond expectations."Client quotation as published in Chambers USA