Pete Marino has been practicing in the area of construction and public infrastructure law for more than 30 years and co-chairs Smith Anderson’s Real Estate Development and Construction Law groups. Pete also serves as chair of the Freeways Division for the Regional Transportation Alliance. He has been integrally involved as lead legal counsel in some of the most significant infrastructure projects in North Carolina and the surrounding region, including, among others, the state's first Interstate toll road project and its largest single award design-build highway project, the state’s first and second light rail projects, numerous international airport and land and airside projects, and a LEED-certified World Headquarters campus for a Fortune 500 company. In Chambers USA, clients say he’s "truly an expert in the field," and "incredibly responsive and diligent" (Chambers USA).
His practice includes all facets of construction law arising out of public and private projects, representing owners, developers, general contractors, sureties, design professionals and large subcontractors, and serves upon request as an independent arbitrator in construction disputes. Pete regularly represents clients in various public construction bid, contracting and litigation matters involving highway and other public infrastructure and military projects. He has represented clients in connection with contracting, bid and claim disputes related to reconstruction projects in Iraq and Afghanistan, among many other national and international projects. Pete has served as past chair of the NCBA Construction Law Section, is a Co-Author of the North Carolina Construction Law Deskbook and has held various leadership positions in the American Bar Association’s Forum on Construction Law.
Areas of Focus
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Construction (2019-2023)
- Best Lawyers®
- Construction Law (2008-2024)
- Litigation–Construction (2008-2024)
- Best Lawyers®, "Lawyer of the Year," Raleigh Construction Law (2020-2021)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2006-2023)
- Business North Carolina's Legal Elite, Construction (2008-2015)
- Hall of Fame since 2011
- Top Construction Lawyer in North Carolina, Legal Elite peer selection edition, Business North Carolina magazine (2011)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Continuing Legal Education Volunteer of the Year, North Carolina Bar Association (2009-2010)
- Outstanding Volunteer Attorney Award, Legal Aid of North Carolina (1998)
- Outstanding Volunteer Attorney, The Volunteer Lawyers Program, Wake County (2004)
- University of North Carolina, J.D., with honors, 1990
- Lemoyne College, B.A., 1987
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Carolina
- American Bar Association, Construction Forum Section, Division II
- Immediate Chair
- Steering Committee Member
- Court Appointed and Certified Arbitrator for the Tenth Judicial District, North Carolina
- Regional Transportation Alliance
- Chair, Freeways Division
- Highway Funding Task Force Member
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Construction Law Section
- Past Chair and Vice Chair
- Past Co-Chair, Lien Law Committee
- Real Property Section
- Construction Law Section
- Past Member, Strategic Planning and Emerging Trends Committee, North Carolina Bar Association
- Carolinas Association of General Contractors (CAGC) and North Carolina Bar Association Joint Committee
- Fellow, Construction Lawyers Society of America
- Advisory Board, Salvation Army of Wake County
- Past Member, Board of Trustees, East Central Community Legal Services
- Serve as outside counsel to international airport with regard to 11,500 foot runway project and other construction and facilities related projects.
- Represent an international contractor in connection with project close-out claims related to 9.6 mile light rail expansion project.
- Represented a national contractor in a successful bid dispute resulting in award to client of contract for North Carolina’s first light rail project.
- Represented a national contractor on a sustainable roof-top solar project involving a 200,000 square foot Civic Center project.
- Represented a prime contractor on a bid and all other legal issues related to North Carolina’s first Turnpike Authority highway construction project ($800 million I-540 extension project).
- Represented a large pharmaceutical company in connection with construction and development of its LEED-certified world headquarters located in the Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company on design-build engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) agreement for construction of the “next generation” nuclear power plant project estimated at $4 billion.
- Represented a national contractor on bid issues and claims arising from a $140 million state and federal interstate highway project.
- Represented a pre-cast concrete subcontractor in federal court litigation involving a $40 million state prison construction project.
- Represented a developer in state court litigation involving construction defect claims in a 140-unit town home complex.
- Represented a national contractor in a dispute involving airport authority and a national concrete contractor in connection with a $10 million airport aircraft taxiway-bridge project.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company on design-build and EPCM agreements for numerous construction and LEED-certified sustainable retro-fit projects in the U.S., United Kingdom and Puerto Rico.
- Represented an international contractor in litigation with a government prime contractor arising from performance of the Communications Sector Design/Build Services IDIQ Project in Iraq.
- Served as general counsel for a national general contractor on challenging Public Safety Center project including bid, bond and subcontractor default issues, as well as design and scheduling-related claims and project closeout issues.
- NewsSmith Anderson Achieves All Time Highs for Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Three Categories
- RecognitionSmith Anderson Gains Four More Chambers Ranked Practitioners Across Practices in 2023 Chambers USA Guide
- Speaking EngagementCo-Presenter, "P3's," American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL) May Meeting, Virtual
- Smith Anderson Achieves All Time Highs for Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Three CategoriesBest Lawyers®News
- Smith Anderson Gains Four More Chambers Ranked Practitioners Across Practices in 2023 Chambers USA GuideChambers USARecognition
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 30 Smith Anderson Attorneys for Recognition, With One Landing in the Top 100!Super LawyersRecognition
- Business North CarolinaRecognition
- Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognizes 98 Smith Anderson Attorneys in Latest PublicationBest Lawyers®Recognition
- Chambers USAAlert
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects Largest Class of “Rising Stars” in Firm’s Recent History – 32 Lawyers Recognized in All!Super Lawyers
- Business North Carolina
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers
- Smith Anderson Shines in 2021 Chambers USA with Most Band 1 Practice Rankings of Any NC-Based Law FirmChambers USAAlert
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 23 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2021 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers
- Business North Carolina
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®
- Chambers USAAlert
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 24 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2020 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©
- Chambers USAAlert
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in 2019Super Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America©
- 2018 North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty-three Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising StarsSuper Lawyers
- Smith Anderson Receives Award for Excellence and Innovation at the 2017 Southeast Region Federal Construction, Infrastructure & Environmental Summit
- The Best Lawyers in America©
- Triangle Business Journal Quotes Pete Marino During the Regional Transportation Alliance’s 2017 BreakfastTriangle Business Journal
- Super LawyersAlert
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America® Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s HistoryAlert
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America® Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s HistoryAlert
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 2013
Publications & Alerts
- Managing Editor and Co-Author, North Carolina Construction Law Deskbook (2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th Editions)
- Author, “Recent Developments in Construction Law,” manuscript prepared for seminar, “Managing Complex Construction Law Issues in North Carolina,” January 26, 2006
- Author, “The Contractor’s ‘Sledge Hammer’ The Sale of the Owner’s Property (or Threat Thereof) Under North Carolina’s Lien Law” published in the Change Order, Volume 19, Number 2, April 2005; Republished in North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys publication The Defender, Winter 2006
- Author, “The Swain Amendment – An Adequate Fix to the Double Liability Problem?” published in Change Order, Volume 14, No. 1, January 2000
- Published by Law360Publication
- Published by National Association of Surety Bond ProducersPublication
- Published by North Carolina Bar Association, Construction Law SectionPublication
- Published by North Carolina Bar Association/NCBarBlogPublication
- “Construction Liens” Chapter of North Carolina Construction Law Deskbook (4th-7th Editions (2016, 2013, 2010, 2006))
- “Insurance Issues in Construction” Chapter of North Carolina Construction Law Deskbook (3rd-7th Editions (2016, 2013, 2010, 2006, 2003))
- “Licensing of Construction Industry Professionals” Chapter of North Carolina Construction Law Deskbook (3rd-7th Editions (2016, 2013, 2010, 2006, 2003))
- Summary of Key Changes and New Provisions – 2007 AIAs Owner-Contractor General Conditions (A201) and Owner-Architect Agreement (B101)North Carolina Bar Association's Construction Law Section
- The Contractor's 'Sledge Hammer' - The Sale of the Owner's Property (or Threat Thereof) Under North Carolina's Lien Law
Events & Programming
- Co-Presenter, "P3's," American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL) May Meeting, VirtualSpeaking Engagement
- Moderator, "Long Term Transportation & Infrastructure Needs in North Carolina," NC Chamber’s Transportation and Infrastructure Summit, Durham, N.C.Speaking Engagement
- Panelist, "Transportation and Logistics, Ready to Roll," March Roundtable hosted by Business North Carolina, VirtualSpeaking Engagement
- Panelist, "RTA 2020 Transportation Breakfast: A Fast Vision for the Triangle," Virtually Presented by Research Triangle Foundation of North CarolinaSpeaking Engagement
- Presenter, "Sustainable Funding for Highways, Transit and Other Public Infrastructure," Regional Transportation Alliance's 2018 Summit Series, RTP, N.C.Event
- Presenter, “The Proposed ‘Complete 540’ Toll Road Project Initiative in Wake County,” Executive Committee Meeting of the Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, Raleigh, N.C.Event
- Presenter, “NCDOT Highway Improvement Projects,” The Cary Chamber of Commerce, Cary, N.C.Event
- Moderator, “Has It Really Been a Decade? The 2017 AIA Contract Documents,” ABA Forum on Construction Law, Boston, Mass.Event
- Panelist, Regional Business Leaders Panel, Regional Transportation Alliance Breakfast, Cary, N.C.Event
- Speaker, "Owners: So You Want to LEED? - Here's What You Need to Know," ABA Forum on Construction Law 2017 Midwinter Meeting, Palm Desert, Calif.Event
- Speaker, "Differing Site Conditions and Change Orders," ABA Construction Forum, Regional CLE Program, Charlotte, N.C.Event
- Speaker, "Lien and Bond Law – The New and the Old," seminar given at Construction Law 2013: Practice Smarter, Not Harder! 2013 Construction Law Winter Program, NC Bar Center, Cary, N.C.Event
- Speaker, "Hot Topics in Public Construction," and panel discussion member: MILCON Summit, Koury Conference Center, Greensboro, N.C.Event
- Speaker, "Introduction of the 2007 Revisions to the AIA Form Contracts," and Panel Discussion Member: "AIA vs. ConsensusDOCS," NCBA Construction Law Section 2008 Construction Law Winter Program, NC Bar Center, Cary, N.C.Event
- Speaker, "Managing Complex Construction Law Issues in North Carolina," sponsored by National Business Institute, North Raleigh Hilton, Raleigh, N.C.Event
- Speaker, "Highlights of a Construction Law Practice: Contracts, Breaches and Damages, Liens, Bonds, and Licensure Issues," North Carolina Bar Association Practical Skills SeminarEvent