Recognized as a premier law firm for established corporations and emerging businesses alike, Smith Anderson has earned a reputation as a national caliber firm in corporate and transactional matters. With a diverse portfolio of practice areas and services, we are positioned to serve as the single legal services source for businesses with regional, national and international interests.
Our Corporate team is comprised of seasoned lawyers, many of whom were former C-level executives, were in-house counsel or have national experience from previously practicing at some of the most prestigious global law firms. Lawyers in our Corporate practice have extensive experience advising clients ranging in size from large public companies to emerging growth businesses in a variety of industries on deals valued from several million to over a billion dollars.
Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, one of the leading ranking agencies for law firms and lawyers, has more Smith Anderson lawyers recognized within the Corporate/M&A practice than any other North Carolina-based law firm, and is the only Band One law firm in Raleigh, Greensboro and the surrounding region. Sources who were interviewed by Chambers commented: "They're easy to work with, very responsive and exceptional at their craft" and "The team as a whole is top notch - I would go to war with them any time."
The firm also ranks as one of the nation's top law firms for client service excellence in the BTI Client Service A-Team guide, the only law firm ranking based solely on direct, unprompted feedback from corporate counsel. “Best Law Firms,” a collaboration between U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, has consistently awarded its Metropolitan Tier 1 ranking to Smith Anderson in the practice categories of Mergers & Acquisitions, Banking and Finance, Securities/Capital Markets, Corporate, Venture Capital, Real Estate and Health Care law, among others. Additionally, the firm has received two national rankings in Venture Capital and Land Use & Zoning.
Smith Anderson has deep experience in many sectors and has sophisticated teams dedicated to multiple areas of corporate law, including:
For over 100 years, our firm has been guided by core principles of reliability, stability and trusted advice. Our objective with our clients is to build lasting relationships and to ensure a consistently high quality of service, responsiveness and efficiency. We work side-by-side with our clients and are available to them around the clock.
News & Publications
- Smith Anderson Bolsters its Renewable Energy Practice Welcoming Energy Transactional Attorney Mark Griffith07.02.2020
- Triangle Business Journal, 02.27.2020
- Business North Carolina, 02.04.2020
- Business North Carolina, 01.10.2020
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2019
- Triangle Business Journal, 04.10.2019
- Wake Forest Magazine, Spring 2019, 02.28.2019
- Business North Carolina, 02.01.2019
- Smith Anderson Ranks Nationally and Regionally in Practice Areas by U.S. News and Best Lawyers® 2019 “Best Law Firms”U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, 11.07.2018
- NC Chamber Asks Partner Dave Clement How Recent Changes to North Carolina Corporate Law Will Boost Business ClimateNC Chamber, 10.23.2018
- Public Company Appoints Smith Anderson Attorney Santo J. Costa as Chairman of the Board of Directors09.05.2018
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team11.30.2016
- U.S. News and Best Lawyers® Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories, Awards Firm Two National Ratings11.01.2016
- Christopher Capel, Lacy Reaves and Gerald Roach, Smith Anderson Partners, Named 2010 “Lawyers of the Year” by Best Lawyers12.04.2009
- SEC Adopts Significant Amendments to Improve Financial Disclosures Regarding Business Acquisitions and Dispositions06.25.2020
- Deal Price is King in Appraisal Rights Actions in North Carolina Where Merger Process Bears “Objective Indicia of Fairness”05.19.2020
- Another Tool in the Toolbox – Delaware Approves “Federal Forum Provisions” For Stockholder Securities Claims03.26.2020
- Stay at Home Orders—Managing the Cacophony of Government Orders Affecting Businesses and the State’s Economy03.25.2020
- Tips for Using New Statutory Ratification Procedure to Cure Defects in Authorizations of Share Issuances and Other Corporate Actions08.05.2019Published by NCBA Business Law Section Blog
- Changes to the North Carolina Business Corporation Act Affecting Voting Trusts and Shareholder Agreements10.11.2018
- New Tools for Your Corporate Law Toolbox in Recent Changes to the North Carolina Business Corporation Act07.11.2018Published originally by the North Carolina Bar Association’s Business Law Section page