By its nature, venture capital is dynamic, carrying potential for both significant risk and high reward. Having experienced, capable legal counsel can make the difference for venture funds, strategic investors, start-ups and emerging growth companies alike. As the largest business and litigation law firm headquartered in North Carolina’s world-famous Research Triangle Park area, we have a long track record of venture capital success in our region and beyond.
With considerable experience on both sides of the venture capital aisle, we have a sophisticated understanding of the goals, concerns, ambitions and perspectives of all parties involved in venture capital deals. We offer not just skilled legal analysis, but also practical business advice on venture capital fund formation and strategic, financial and corporate investor representation and financing arrangements.
We also have decades of experience in representing emerging growth and start-up companies and assist our clients in all aspects of their expansion and development. Our firm has special expertise in venture capital financing transactions. With particular expertise in information technology, clean technology, drug discovery, biotech, medical devices, health care and other life sciences, we have represented both investors and companies alike in a wide range of venture-capital transactions. When your business’s evolution requires it, we also offer seasoned counsel on mezzanine financing, other private equity, and mergers and acquisitions.
Our highly capable team members include lawyers with corporate, securities and fund experience at major national and international law firms. As a full-service business law firm, we offer assistance in such related areas as Securities, Tax, Mezzanine Finance, Intellectual Property, Corporate Governance and Compliance, Employment, Labor and Human Resources, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation, Government Relations, Corporate Relocations and Expansions, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Corporate and Securities Litigation.
- Corporate formation and initial organizational documents
- Employment and non-competition agreements
- Stock option planning and administration
- Strategic alliances and joint ventures
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Intellectual property planning, protection and licensing
- Venture capital and angel financings
- Tax strategies and counseling
News & Publications
- Smith Anderson Recognized in 39 Practice Categories, Receives Two National Ratings in U.S. News and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”11.02.2017
- Council for Entrepreneurial Development, Website, 10.30.2017
- Smith Anderson Partner Merrill Mason provides insight on the impact of Intersouth Partner’s decision to stop investing in new companiesTriangle Business Journal, 04.17.2017
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team11.30.2016
- U.S. News and Best Lawyers® Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories, Awards Firm Two National Ratings11.01.2016
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2016 U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories and Awards a National Rating11.02.2015
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Governor Pat McCrory appoints Jeff Truitt to Serve as Member of the North Carolina State Board of Certified Public Accountant Examiners02.21.2014
- Smith Anderson Honored with 2013 ‘Best Law Firms’ Rankings by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- Smith Anderson Sponsors Biotech/Life Science 2011 Conference - Sponsorship Complements Partners’ Board Service and Life Sciences Practice02.18.2011
- Smith Anderson Sponsors Biotech 2010 Conference - Sponsorship Complements Partners’ Board Service and Life Sciences Practice02.05.2010
- Changes to the North Carolina Business Corporation Act Affecting Voting Trusts and Shareholder Agreements10.11.2018
- We’re Still Waiting: When Will the SEC Lift the Ban on General Solicitation and Advertisements for Rule 506 and 144A Offerings?01.01.2013
Events & Webinars
- HQ Raleigh | Raleigh, N.C., 04.22.2015