John Gibson focuses his practice on advising a variety of health care stakeholders, including large physician group practices, clinically integrated networks, accountable care organizations, laboratories, long term care providers and investors focused on the health care industry. His experience includes helping clients navigate the complex federal and state regulatory environment surrounding the health care industry, including compliance under HIPAA, HITECH, Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute and the False Claims Act. He also provides strategic counsel related to value-based care programs and accountable care issues generally.
John also advises clients on commercial transactions and corporate matters, including mergers and acquisitions, governance issues, contract negotiation, business formation and compliance with licensing rules and regulations.
John enjoys traveling abroad, cheering on the Clemson Tigers and spending time outdoors.
Areas of Focus
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch®, Health Care Law (2024)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Paul M. Burch, Fourth Judicial Circuit, South Carolina
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., 2018
- University of South Carolina Arnold School of Public Health, Master’s in Health Administration, 2018
- Clemson University, B.A., 2013
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- American Health Lawyers Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Health Care Law Section
- National Association of Accountable Care Organizations
- Wake County Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Transitions LifeCare (2023-2026)
- Council Member, NCBA Health Law Section (2023-2026)
- Represent accountable care organizations, clinically integrated networks and other value-based initiatives nationwide in formation, regulatory compliance and contracting.
- Advise public and private sector entities on governmental contracting requirements related to federal and state awards.
- Provide healthcare regulatory counsel to secured lenders, including applicable laws related to corporate practice of medicine/dentistry, referral arrangements, licensure and fee-splitting.
- Advised a multistate skilled nursing, home care, and I/DD company in a definitive agreement to acquire the largest home care company in Rhode Island.
- Advised client on physician members’ investments in medical products to comply with Stark Law and the Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Advised behavioral health company on CMS Global and Professional Direct Contracting agreement.
- Prepared physician compensation plan to comply with Stark Law productivity bonus rules.
- Advised provider client on lease with pharmacy company.
- Negotiated and drafted physician employment, independent contractor, and medical director agreements.
- AlertA Renewed Focus on Primary Care – CMS Releases a Request for Applications for the Making Care Primary Model
- NewsSmith Anderson Achieves All Time Highs for Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Three Categories
- PublicationKey Regulatory Considerations for Direct Pay and Concierge Models in Family Medicine
Publications & Alerts
- A Renewed Focus on Primary Care – CMS Releases a Request for Applications for the Making Care Primary ModelAlert
- Published by North Carolina Family PhysicianPublication