Alex Bowling joined Smith Anderson in 2013. He practices in the areas of securities law, corporate law, and mergers and acquisitions. Alex regularly represents companies of all sizes, from start-up and growth companies to large public corporations, with a particular emphasis on public offerings and private placements of securities, corporate governance and compliance matters. He also advises on corporate transactions, including asset purchases and dispositions and strategic collaborations.
Alex regularly speaks and writes on recent developments in the areas of corporate and securities law, including recent SEC rules permitting small public offerings under Regulation A, Regulation Crowdfunding and related securities registration exemptions, as well as SEC-rule making affecting SEC reporting companies.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Alex was a high school teacher in Raleigh, N.C.
Areas of Focus
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2019, 2021-2023)
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2021-2024)
- Securities/Capital Markets Law (2021-2024)
- Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law (2022-2024)
- Securities Regulation (2023-2024)
- North Carolina Issue Editor and Staff Member, North Carolina Law Review, 2011-2013
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., with high honors, 2013
- The Order of the Coif
- Dean’s List
- Gressman-Pollitt Award for Excellence in Oral Advocacy
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, M.A.T., 2006
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., History, with distinction, 2005
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Golden Key International Honour Society
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Represented a Nasdaq-listed bank holding company in its assumption of all customer deposits and certain other liabilities, and acquisition of substantially all loans and certain other assets, of a bridge bank, as successor to the failed bank subsidiary of a Nasdaq-listed bank holding company, from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, as receiver for the bridge bank.
- Represented a Nasdaq-listed bank holding company in a public offering of subordinated notes for aggregate proceeds of $350 million.
- Represented a Nasdaq-listed bank holding company in a public offering of depositary shares representing interests in preferred stock for aggregate proceeds of $345 million.
- Advised a private equity fund in its acquisition of a contract research organization focused on the ophthalmology industry for an undisclosed amount.
- Represented a North Carolina bank and its parent on an approximately $220 million merger with another bank, which offered a higher price than the bank’s existing merger agreement with another company.
- Advised a U.S. clinical research organization on the purchase of all of the equity of a specialty UK-based clinical research organization.
- Advised a contract research organization in a definitive agreement to acquire a specialized contract research organization for the biotechnology industry.
- Advised a private equity fund and its contract research solutions portfolio company in their acquisition of a statistical programming, consulting, and data management company.
- Advised a private equity fund in its acquisition of a leading provider of staffing resources to the biotechnology, pharmaceutical and medical device companies for clinical trial needs.
- Advised a leading provider of patient affordability, access, adherence, and support services in a definitive agreement to acquire a provider of mobile-based medication management and adherence solutions for the life sciences sector.
- Represented a leading genome editing company dedicated to improving life in its $145.4 million initial public offering of 9,085,000 shares of common stock at a public offering price of $16.00 per share.
- Advised a semiconductor and global solid state LED lighting manufacturing company in an agreement to purchase the assets of the radio frequency (RF) power business of a publicly traded semiconductor company for $345 million in cash.
- Advised a semiconductor and LED company on the divestiture of its lighting products business unit for an initial cash payment of $225 million plus the potential to receive an earn-out payment based on the business’s post-closing performance.
- Advised a publicly traded financial institution and its wholly owned subsidiary in reaching an agreement to be acquired by another publicly owned financial institution in a transaction valued at approximately $124 million.
- Represented a global solid state LED lighting and semiconductor manufacturing company in connection with its announced agreement for its $850 million sale of assets to a publicly traded German semiconductor company. The transaction was terminated before completion due to regulatory considerations.
- Represented first North Carolina company to launch a Title III Regulation Crowdfunding offering.
- Represented a real estate micro-lending crowdfunding platform in qualification with the SEC and NASAA of Regulation A offering.
- Represented a leading private company provider of pharmaceutical product access support services in its acquisition by a private equity fund in a $206 million reverse triangular merger.
- Advises NYSE- and Nasdaq-listed public companies in various industries with respect to public disclosure and securities law compliance matters, NYSE and Nasdaq listing requirements, corporate governance, and general corporate matters.
- Represented Nasdaq-listed pharmaceutical company in connection with an acquisition of a drug product license.
- Represented Nasdaq-listed medical device company in connection with a public equity line financing.
- Represented a global solid state LED lighting and semiconductor manufacturing company in a Hong Kong joint venture to sell mid-power lighting class LED packaged products.
- Represented a national venture capital fund in multiple early stage investments in technology and life science portfolio companies.
- Advised provider of software and services for repossession management and remarketing in acquisition by a private equity group.
- Advised angel fund in multiple early stage preferred stock financings.
- Advised publicly traded financial institution in connection with subscription rights offering and concurrent private placement standby offering.
- Advised publicly traded financial institution in connection with a private subordinated promissory note refinancing transaction.
- Advised an emerging biotechnology company developing CRISPR-Cas3-engineered precision antibacterial products in its acquisition of substantially all of the assets of a biotechnology company, including its high-throughput bacteriophage (“phage”) discovery platform.
- Smith Anderson Achieves All Time Highs for Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Three CategoriesBest Lawyers®News
- The New York Times, Forbes, Bloomberg Law, Law360, The DealNews
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 30 Smith Anderson Attorneys for Recognition, With One Landing in the Top 100!Super LawyersRecognition
- Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognizes 98 Smith Anderson Attorneys in Latest PublicationBest Lawyers®Recognition
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects Largest Class of “Rising Stars” in Firm’s Recent History – 32 Lawyers Recognized in All!Super Lawyers
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 23 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2021 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in 2019Super Lawyers
- Smith Anderson Attorney Alex Bowling Discusses Crowdfunding Scenarios with Triangle Business JournalTriangle Business Journal
- Smith Anderson Advises the First North Carolina Startup to Launch a Title III Regulation Crowdfunding Campaign
Publications & Alerts
Events & Programming
- Speaking Engagement
- Co-Presenter, "November 2020 Public Companies Update," Live WebinarSpeaking Engagement
- Co-Presenter, "2019 Public Companies Update," Durham, N.C.Speaking Engagement
- Co-Presenter, "Preparing for the Upcoming 10-K and Proxy Season," Securities Law Breakfast Series, N.C. Biotechnology Center, Durham, N.C. and Smith Anderson Offices, Raleigh, N.C.Event
- Speaker, EntreDot Crowdfunding Seminar, Research Triangle Park, N.C.Event