Brian is a life-long North Carolinian who has spent his entire legal career at Smith Anderson, practicing law less than 15 minutes from where he grew up in nearby Garner. Brian joined Smith Anderson after becoming a “Double Tar Heel” by earning an undergraduate business degree and a law degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Using his business and legal education on a daily basis, Brian helps his clients achieve their goals by negotiating a wide range of transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, commercial real estate purchases and dispositions, and long-term commercial contracts such as supply agreements and sponsorship agreements. Brian enjoys bringing a practical, solutions-oriented approach to transactions, recognizing that most businesses want their lawyers to focus on completing transactions in a way that is agreeable to both parties.
Brian assists public and private companies in a wide range of industries, with a focus on businesses that manufacture or distribute tangible products such as foods and beverages, pharmaceuticals, and industrial equipment and supplies. Brian regularly assists these clients with legal issues at all points of the supply chain, and has experience drafting and negotiating contract manufacturing agreements, distribution agreements, logistics contracts, product warranties, customer agreements, sales contracts, and similar documents. Brian also has significant experience helping manufacturing and distribution companies manage their real estate needs through vacant land and completed building acquisitions, new site development, long-term facility leases, storage and warehousing agreements, and property dispositions.
When not negotiating transactions for his clients, Brian gives back to those who made his education possible by providing free legal advice to North Carolinians as part of the Lawyer on the Line program, a partnership of the North Carolina Bar Foundation and Legal Aid of North Carolina. Brian also actively volunteers to support the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the nation’s first public university, and is currently on the leadership team of its Law Alumni Association.
In his spare time, Brian enjoys playing golf, coaching youth sports teams, and traveling with his wife and two children, especially to the North Carolina mountains or anywhere the Tar Heels are playing.
Areas of Focus
- Best Lawyers®
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2022-2024)
- Corporate Law (2024)
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite, Real Estate (2012)
- J. Nelson Young Award Winner, 2003 (Outstanding Third-Year Student in Tax Law)
- North Carolina Banking Institute, Articles and Notes Editor, 2002-2003
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2013-2018)
- University of North Carolina, J.D., 2003
- University of North Carolina, B.S., with highest distinction, 2000
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- UNC Law Alumni Association Board of Directors (2015-2017; 2019-present)
- Second Vice President (2019-2020)
- Secretary (2020-2021)
- Vice President (2021-present)
- UNC Law Alumni Association Engagement Committee (2009-2017)
- Chair (2014-2017)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mentor, North Carolina Bar Association Mentoring Program (2011-2013)
- North Carolina YLD Bar Exam Committee (2007-2010)
- Tenth Judicial District Bar, Bar Candidate Interview Committee (2005-2013)
- Vice-Chair (2009-2013)
- Wake County Bar Association
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a large privately-held soft drink manufacturer, seller and distributing company in multiple acquisitions of independent bottlers.
- Advised a sports and media company on its acquisition of a summer collegiate baseball league.
- Advised a life sciences company on its acquisition of a clinical manufacturing facility for an undisclosed amount.
- Advised a publicly traded financial institution in reaching an agreement to be acquired by another publicly owned financial institution.
- Represented a family-owned national customized food service company in acquisition of a national restaurant chain’s in-house distribution business.
- Represented a major convenience store chain in multiple acquisitions of convenience stores throughout the southeast.
- Represented a specialty pharmaceutical company in a merger with a subsidiary of a publicly-traded international pharmaceutical company.
- Advised a protein bar manufacturer in a definitive agreement to be acquired by a global wellness products company.
- Represented a large privately-held soft drink manufacturer, seller and distributing company in negotiation of multiple sponsorship agreements with professional sports teams, colleges and universities, and tourist attractions.
- Represented a publicly-traded international pharmaceutical company in a contract manufacturing agreement with a developer of bioequivalent and branded pharmaceutical products.
- Represented a private materials and recycling technology company in a manufacturing, warehousing, and services agreement with a product supplier.
- Represented a family-owned national customized food service company in negotiation of multiple distribution agreements with regional and national restaurant chains.
- Represented a multinational manufacturer and supplier to the papermaking industry in negotiation of multiple supply agreements with materials suppliers and sales agreements with paper manufacturers.
- Advised a high concentration solar module manufacturer in the negotiation of a long-term supply agreement with an international energy company.
Real Estate Development
- Represented a large privately-held soft drink manufacturer, seller and distributing company in acquisition, development, leasing, and disposition of bottling plants and distribution facilities.
- Advised a developer in land acquisition and financing for a multifamily and retail mixed used development.
- Represented an equipment retailer in connection with store acquisitions and leasing matters.
- Represented a major convenience store chain in acquisition, development, leasing, and disposition of convenience store locations.
- Advised numerous borrowers in negotiation of legal opinions required by lenders in secured real estate transactions.
- Assisted owner of a country club in negotiation of drainage, construction, and other development easements.
- NewsSmith Anderson Achieves All Time Highs for Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Three Categories
- RecognitionBest Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognizes 98 Smith Anderson Attorneys in Latest Publication
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch
- Smith Anderson Achieves All Time Highs for Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Three CategoriesBest Lawyers®News
- Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognizes 98 Smith Anderson Attorneys in Latest PublicationBest Lawyers®Recognition
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers
- 2018 North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty-three Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising StarsSuper Lawyers
- Super LawyersAlert
Publications & Alerts
Events & Programming
- Co-Presenter, "Real Estate Due Diligence in M&A Transactions: Title, Survey, Financing, Lease Transferability, Environmental," hosted by Strafford Publications, Inc.Speaking Engagement
- Presenter, "Commercial Lease Agreements," NC LEAP WorkshopSpeaking Engagement
- Presenter, "Purchase and Sale of Real Estate," National Business Institute's Real Estate Law 101 CLE, Raleigh, N.C.Speaking Engagement
- Presenter, "M&A Agreements: Drafting Real Estate and Environmental Contract Provisions," Strafford Publications, Inc.Webinar
- Presenter, "Real Estate in Mergers and Acquisitions," National Business InstituteWebinar
- Presenter, "Ethical Issues in Pro Bono Service," UNC Chapel Hill Law Reunion Weekend, Chapel Hill, N.C.Event
- Presenter, "Real Estate Issues in Mergers and Acquisitions," Investors Title 2015 Fall Gathering, Chapel Hill, N.C.Event