Joe Fields advises buyers and sellers on mergers and acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures in a wide range of industries, including software, e-commerce, health care, business services, manufacturing and distribution. He also advises companies and nonprofit organizations on corporate governance, business and real estate transactions and nonprofit law matters.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Joe worked for a North Carolina law firm, where he advised clients on a variety of matters including mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, corporate governance and health care.
While in law school, Joe served as Student Bar Association President and provided corporate and transactional counsel to North Carolina nonprofit organizations through the Community Development Law Clinic. Joe holds a Certificate of Nonprofit Management from Duke University.
Prior to law school, Joe worked in the nonprofit sector, assisting nonprofits in strategic planning, board development and financial management.
Areas of Focus
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America
- Business Organizations - LLCs and Partnerships, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2023-2024)
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., 2019
- President, Student Bar Association
- President, Transactional and Corporate Law Association
- President, Construction and Real Estate Law Association
- UNC Law School Ambassador, North Carolina Chief Justice’s Commission on Professionalism
- Staff Member, North Carolina Banking Institute Journal
- Deans Fellow
- Clinic Student Attorney, Community Development Law Clinic
- James E. and Carolyn B. Davis Society
- University of North Carolina at Wilmington, M.P.A., 2016
- MPA Graduate of the Year
- University of North Carolina at Wilmington, B.A., 2014
- President, Pre-law Society
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- Co-Chair, Young Alumni Leadership Council, UNC Law Alumni Association (2020 – present)
- Member, Triangle Regional Alumni Club, University of North Carolina School of Law (2020 – present)
- Affiliate Member, Carolina Angel Network (2019 – present)
- North Carolina Bar Association (2019 – present)
- Business Law Section
- Young Lawyers Division
- Wake County Bar Association (2019 – present)
- Philanthropy/Communication Service Liaison, UNCW Triangle Alumni Chapter (2020 – present)
- Member, Urban Land Institute (2018 – present)
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth (2019 – present)
- Coach, Winter Youth Basketball, Town of Cary (2020 – present)
Advised a sports and media company on its acquisition of a summer collegiate baseball league.