We take pride in assisting our private equity and private equity-backed clients as they help drive the engines of the global economy. As a full-service business and litigation law firm based in Raleigh, North Carolina, our firm’s robust Private Equity practice, combined with our strength in the related areas of Mezzanine Financing, and Mergers and Acquisitions, provides us with an ideal blend of experience to offer our clients sophisticated legal services and counsel.
Our veteran private equity lawyers work closely with clients to craft targeted, innovative strategies for each deal. We regularly advise private equity funds, independent sponsors and other investors on a variety of transactions, including portfolio company acquisitions, control and minority investments, management buyouts, add-on acquisitions and dispositions of portfolio company investments. We also assist with other aspects of private equity transactions, including the negotiation and structuring of senior credit facilities, subordinated debt investments and management equity arrangements.
We have significant experience representing fund sponsors in the structuring and formation of new private equity funds as well as general partner and management company entities. Our attorneys also regularly advise limited partners and other investors in connection with investments in private equity funds and negotiation of side letters.
In addition to our experience representing funds and their investors, we have a long tradition of representing private equity-backed companies in connection with the negotiation of investments from private equity funds and other investors. Our experience on the investor side gives us a clear perspective for market terms and allows us to provide our clients extensive and practical knowledge in negotiating financing transactions. We routinely represent both investors and portfolio companies in private equity transactions ranging from $1 million to $3 billion.
We work closely with you to help achieve your business objectives, add value and create wealth. Our highly capable team members include lawyers with corporate, securities and fund experience at major national and international law firms. We offer assistance in such related areas as Securities, Tax, Mezzanine Finance, Corporate Governance and Compliance, Intellectual Property, Employment, Labor and Human Resources, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation, Government Affairs, Corporate Relocations and Expansions, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Complex Contract Disputes.
Highlights of our experience includes:
- Representation of a $500 million + private equity fund in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology space on multiple investment transactions
- Representation of a university endowment in its investments in private equity transactions
- Representation of a Fortune 500 company in its alternative investment transactions aggregating $240 million + in private equity funds
- Represented mezzanine lenders on over 50 financing transactions with an aggregate value over $500 million
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
News & Publications
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, 11.01.2019
- IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms Ranks Smith Anderson’s M&A and Finance Practices and Four Lawyers06.10.2019
- Smith Anderson Ranks Nationally and Regionally in Practice Areas by U.S. News and Best Lawyers® 2019 “Best Law Firms”U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, 11.07.2018
- Smith Anderson Recognized in 39 Practice Categories, Receives Two National Ratings in U.S. News and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”11.02.2017
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team11.30.2016
- U.S. News and Best Lawyers® Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories, Awards Firm Two National Ratings11.01.2016
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2016 U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories and Awards a National Rating11.02.2015
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Curt Brewer Gives Advice on the Legal Challenges of Succession Planning at the Southern Private Equity Conference02.24.2015
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- Delaware Court Finds That a Reverse Triangular Merger Does Not Result in an Assignment by Operation of Law04.10.2013
Events & Webinars
- HQ Raleigh | Raleigh, N.C., 04.22.2015