Chris Smith is co-chair of the firm's Business Litigation team and is a trial and appellate lawyer who counsels clients on business strategy and crisis management. He manages large, multi-party, and multi-jurisdiction projects, and both prosecutes and defends mission-critical claims for clients. In Chambers USA, clients say Chris “provides really seasoned and measured advice,” is "very, very well respected," "fabulous," "extremely proactive and insightful," "provides excellent strategic advice," is "bright, extremely cerebral yet superbly practical in his approach when managing a dispute" and “writes exceptionally well.”
Chris’s interests lie in the intersection of law and business. He is a member of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee of the North Carolina Chamber and he serves on the Board of Directors of the North Carolina Chamber Legal Institute, which is the business community’s voice for legal policy development and analysis. He works with business groups and government officials on initiatives to improve the quality and efficiency of the administration of justice in North Carolina and on policy and legislative matters affecting the business legal climate in the state. Chris is also a Past-President of the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys.
Chris has tried numerous lawsuits to jury verdict. His recent projects include a tax dispute on behalf of various insurance companies with the State of North Carolina, engagement by various stakeholders to defend the application and constitutionality of liability immunity legislation, as well strategic risk management projects for companies developing innovative renewable energy technologies.
He has argued appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
Chris was an associate with an international law firm in Washington, D.C. before joining Smith Anderson in 1995. In addition to his leadership of the Business Litigation team, Chris serves on the firm's Management Committee.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Chamber Legal Institute
- Member, Board of Directors (2015-Present)
- Chair, Board of Directors (2015-2019)
- M&F Bank (Mechanics and Farmers Bank)
- Member, Board of Directors (2015-2019)
- North Carolina Chamber
- Member, Board of Directors (2014-Present)
- Member, Executive Committee (2020-Present)
- National Defense Research Institute
- Chair, Trade Secrets Group (2013-2019)
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Board of Directors (2006-2014)
- Immediate Past-President (2013-2014)
- President (2012-2013)
- President-Elect (2011-2012)
- Executive Vice President (2010-2011)
- Treasurer (2009-2010)
- Secretary (2007-2009)
- Chairman, Commercial Litigation Section (2005-2007)
- North Carolina Hillel
- Member, Board of Directors (2016-2022)
- Pro Bono General Counsel, The Lerner Jewish Community Day School (2002-2019)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Law School Liaison Committee (2008-2013)
- Tenth Judicial District Fee Dispute Committee (2007-2013)
- Association for Corporate Growth/Research Triangle Park Chapter
- Board of Directors (2001-2006)
- Vice-President (2003-2006)
- American Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Lawyers Weekly "Leader in Law" (recognizing "the most influential individuals within our state's legal community") (2014)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) nationwide award for Exceptional Performance (recognizing work for "having contributed to the improvement of the administration of justice in the public interest") (2013)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) State Association Diversity Award (awarded to the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys during Chris' Presidency for demonstrating a "significant commitment to diversity") (2012)
- Benchmark Litigation, North Carolina Litigation Star (2010-2022)
- Best Lawyers®, Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Environmental (2013-2022)
- Business North Carolina's Legal Elite, Litigation
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers, Litigation: General Commercial (2014-2022)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2007-2022)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Top 100 Lawyers (2013-2016)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Top 25 Raleigh Super Lawyers (2014)
- Lead counsel for a company in successfully protecting and enforcing intellectual property rights.
- Lead counsel to corporation in defending claims of false advertising.
- Lead trial counsel for insurance company in dispute with North Carolina Department of Revenue regarding renewable energy tax credits.
- Lead counsel in trademark infringement dispute against worldwide vendor.
- Lead counsel and management of multi-venue contract dispute involving lawsuit, arbitration and public utility commission proceedings arising out of contracts addressing client's business in 27 states.
- Lead counsel for nationwide risk management project for telecommunications infrastructure company involving multiple parties and lawsuits in state and federal court and regulatory proceedings in various state public utilities commissions.
- Co-lead counsel for client who successfully sued to have a "poison pill" adopted by a bank declared unlawful.
- Lead counsel for client who successfully defended against a preliminary injunction in a trademark infringement case for a new subsidiary business.
- Lead counsel in large trade secrets and unfair and deceptive trade practices claim for plaintiff corporation resulting in verdict at trial for plaintiff client.
- Lead counsel for defendant client in $50 million+ arbitration regarding earn-out provisions of an asset purchase and sale agreement resulting in favorable verdict for defendant client.
- Lead counsel in multi-million-dollar dispute involving claims against client to "pierce the corporate veil" resulting in favorable pre-trial rulings and settlement.
- Lead counsel at trial in multi-million-dollar dispute involving claims of "software malpractice" on client's counterclaim resulting in successful settlement for client during trial.
- Risk management of pre-litigation disputes of a broad range of matters including complex contract disputes, pharmaceutical development and licensing agreements, non-compete and trade secrets issues, and environmental contamination matters.
- Management and primary counsel on $100 million+ pharmaceutical development dispute for defendant client resulting in partial summary judgment for client followed by a favorable settlement.
- Trial counsel in multi-million-dollar brain injury case where jury verdict was obtained on behalf of our plaintiff client.
- Lead counsel and management of complex environmental Superfund cost recovery action for client in an action involving more than 100 defendants.
News & Publications
- Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognizes 98 Smith Anderson Attorneys in Latest PublicationBest Lawyers®, 08.18.2022
- Chambers USA, 06.03.2022
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects Largest Class of “Rising Stars” in Firm’s Recent History – 32 Lawyers Recognized in All!Super Lawyers, 01.13.2022
- Smith Anderson Adds a Future Litigation Star to Its 2022 Benchmark Litigation Rankings with Eleven Attorneys HonoredBenchmark Litigation, 10.18.2021
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers, 08.19.2021
- Smith Anderson Shines in 2021 Chambers USA with Most Band 1 Practice Rankings of Any NC-Based Law FirmChambers USA, 05.21.2021
- NC Chamber and NC Chamber Legal Institute Sidebar, 03.22.2021
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 23 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2021 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.15.2021
- Benchmark Litigation, 10.13.2020
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Chambers USA, 04.23.2020
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 24 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2020 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.22.2020
- Benchmark Litigation Honors Smith Anderson’s Litigation and Employment Litigation Groups and 12 LawyersBenchmark Litigation, 10.14.2019
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- Chambers USA, 04.29.2019
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in 2019Super Lawyers, 01.24.2019
- Benchmark Litigation, 10.16.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- Chambers USA, 05.03.2018
- 2018 North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty-three Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.25.2018
- Benchmark Litigation, 10.03.2017
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- Chambers USA, 05.30.2017
- Super Lawyers, 01.20.2017
- N.C. Lawyers Weekly Quotes Partner Chris Smith on the Use of the ‘Apex Doctrine’ in Business Court CasesNorth Carolina Lawyers Weekly, 10.14.2016
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- Chambers USA, 06.01.2016
- Smith Anderson Partner Christopher G. Smith Named Chair of the Board of the N.C. Chamber Legal Institute10.05.2015
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Christopher Smith Chosen as a recipient of North Carolina Lawyers Weekly’s 2014 “Leaders in Law” Award08.22.2014
- Smith Anderson’s Executive Roundtable Series Addresses How Companies can Prepare for and Respond to a Data Breach07.11.2014
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- North Carolina Court of Appeals Affirms Plasma Centers of America’s $37 Million Verdict Against Talecris Plasma Resources08.08.2012
- Christopher Smith Elected Executive Vice-President of the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys06.23.2010
- As NC State of Emergency Expires, Businesses and Health Care Providers Need to Prepare to Avoid More COVID Confusion07.13.2022
- Sigh of Relief for NC Business and Health Care Communities as First Lawsuit Challenging COVID-19 Claims Is Dismissed—Legislation Confirmed by General Assembly03.15.2021
- Stay at Home Orders—Managing the Cacophony of Government Orders Affecting Businesses and the State’s Economy03.25.2020
- Federal Court Upholds Rules Prohibiting the Practice of Law by Corporations – Rejecting Attempt by Trade Association to Represent Its Members06.05.2019
- 01.15.2019By Mike Mitchell and Christopher Smith
- 06.2015In-House Defense Quarterly, published by DRI- The Voice of the Defense Bar, Summer 2015, Vol. 10, No. 3
"Firms should hail changes in patent, case venue laws," Guest Column, Triangle Business Journal, August 8, 2014
- Co-Presenter, "Healthcare Heroes & Immunity: A Look at Healthcare Litigation," presented by NC Association for Defense Attorneys04.14.2021
- Presenter, "H118: COVID-19 Civil Liability Protection for Businesses," NCACPA Webinar10.08.2020
- Co-Presenter, "Legislative, NC Taxes and Covid-19 Liability Update," NCACPA Business & Industry Fall Virtual Conference09.15.2020
- Moderator, “A Stronger Workforce: The Business Case for Second Chance Hiring,” hosted by the NC Chamber09.09.2020
- Co-Presenter, "COVID-19 Civil Immunity Protections for Businesses," NCEDA Live Webinar08.20.2020
- Presenter, “Managing Independent School Liability in the COVID Era,” NCAIS Live Webinar08.06.2020
- Co-Presenter, "COVID Liability Legislation Update," NC Chamber Live Webinar07.30.2020
- Co-Presenter, "COVID-19 Civil Immunity Protections for Businesses," Live Webinar07.09.2020
- Co-Presenter, "Open for Business During the Times of COVID-19: Key Considerations for North Carolina Businesses," Webinar hosted by NCEDA06.18.2020
- Co-Presenter, "Open for Business During the Times of COVID-19: Is Your Company Prepared?" Webinar hosted by the NCBA06.10.2020
- Presenter, "A Lie Can Travel Halfway Around the World, while the Truth is Still Putting on its Shoes," VACO CPE Series, Durham, N.C.11.12.2019
- Co-Presenter, "A Lie Can Travel Halfway around the World, while the Truth is Still Putting on Its Shoes," Smith Anderson 27th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.11.2019
- Co-Speaker, "State Legislative Issues," ncaCPA's 2019 Members in Business & Industry Spring Conference, Greensboro, N.C.05.22.2019
- Moderator, “New Business to NC: Supporting the Israeli-NC Pipeline,” Jewish Federation of Durham-Chapel Hill’s Ignite Talks Forum, Durham, N.C.12.04.2018
- Co-Speaker, "Leveraging Your IP Assets to Maximize Enterprise Value," Vaco CPE Series, RTP, N.C.11.14.2018
- Proximity Hotel | Greensboro, N.C., 03.18.2015
- Co-Presenter, The Untapped Power of Bylaws to Protect Your Company and Preparing a Well-Organized M&A Due Diligence Process to Sell Your Company or Buy Another, VACO CPE Series, Raleigh, N.C., June 16, 2015
- Presenter, Outside Counsel: The Life Cycle of a Company's Trade Secrets, DRI's Intellectual Property Litigation Seminar, Chicago, Ill., May 7-8, 2015
- Co-Presenter, Building Better Bylaws, Smith Anderson's Executive Roundtable Series: Session II, Raleigh, N.C., May 5, 2015
- Moderator, You will be Hacked (If you Haven't Already)..., Joint event presented by The Research Triangle Park, Durham Chamber of Commerce and Smith Anderson, RTP, N.C., January 21, 2015
- Presenter, It’s 2014: You Will Be Hacked, Vaco CPE Seminar, Paragon Commercial Bank, Raleigh, N.C., September 24, 2014
- Presenter, It's 2014: You Will be Hacked. Positioning Yourself Now, Responding When it Happens, Smith Anderson's Executive Roundtable Series: Session III, Research Triangle Park, N.C., June 25, 2014
- Moderator, Protecting Proprietary Business Assets: Strategies to Safeguard Your Company, seminar at Vaco, Raleigh, N.C., October 2013
- Moderator, Protecting Proprietary Business Assets: Strategies to Safeguard Your Company, seminar at The Umstead, Cary, N.C., June 2013
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- All North Carolina State Courts
- District of Columbia
- New York
University of Pennsylvania, J.D., cum laude, 1992
University of Pennsylvania, B.A., summa cum laude, 1987
- Phi Beta Kappa