Smith Anderson is a prominent North Carolina law firm for borrower and lender representation, providing legal advice that is grounded in national and international experience. Our team includes finance lawyers with extensive experience representing banks, non-bank lenders, and borrowers across the country as well as lawyers who practiced with global law firms in money centers worldwide before joining Smith Anderson.
Client service is a hallmark of Smith Anderson. Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, one of the leading ranking agencies for law firms and lawyers, has recognized our Finance practice as among the best in the state. A source who was interviewed by Chambers commented: "We are very satisfied with the work they perform and the advice they give. They are always very responsive and have people ready to address our needs in a lot of different areas." In addition to our Chambers accolades, a client recently shared with us that that our team is "one of the best" she has worked with in her nearly 30 years of commercial banking experience and a second client commented "I really appreciate your help, especially on closing day with a lot of attention needed and lots of documents to deliver...proving once again why the Smith Anderson team is top of the podium for us on legal partners we work with."
Since 2011, Smith Anderson has been one of the only North Carolina-based law firms to place in multiple years among the top firms in the nation in law firm league tables published by Thomson Reuters LPC. Smith Anderson has placed in the league tables for volume and number of borrower-side leveraged transactions.
Our Banking & Finance practice is backed by the strength of a full-service business and litigation law firm, including lawyers in our Mergers and Acquisitions, Tax, Employment, Labor and Human Resources, and other practices as needed for each transaction.
Core areas of our Banking & Finance practice include:
Corporate and Syndicated Finance – We provide borrower and lender representation, and assist boards and management in considering and structuring financing alternatives.
Mezzanine Finance – Our lawyers serve mezzanine funds, small business investment companies (SBICs), business development companies (BDCs) and other providers of mezzanine debt and junior capital.
Private Equity – Our clients include private equity funds, independent sponsors and other investors and we advise on a variety of transactions, including acquisitions, investments, buyouts and dispositions of investments.
Real Estate Finance – Our team represents clients in all aspects of real estate financing transactions, working with both developers and financial institutions and other parties that provide capital to the real estate industry in various forms.
Restructuring, Insolvency and Creditors’ Rights – Our team counsels clients in all aspects of debtor-creditor relationships, workouts, restructurings, insolvency and corporate reorganizations, and litigation relating to any of these matters.
Venture Capital – We provide practical legal and business advice on venture capital fund formation and strategic, financial and corporate investor representation and financing arrangements.
Venture Debt and Technology Finance – We have experience on both sides of the table, routinely representing borrowers as well as banks, venture capital funds and non-bank lenders.
News & Publications
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® 2023 “Best Law Firms” Rankings Honor Smith Anderson in 46 Practice AreasU.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, 11.17.2022
- Chambers USA, 06.03.2022
- IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms Ranks Smith Anderson’s M&A and Finance Practices and Five Firm LeadersIFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms, 06.07.2021
- Smith Anderson Shines in 2021 Chambers USA with Most Band 1 Practice Rankings of Any NC-Based Law FirmChambers USA, 05.21.2021
- Smith Anderson’s M&A and Finance Practices and Five Lawyers Ranked by IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law FirmsIFLR: 1000 The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms, 10.01.2020
- Triangle Business Journal, 10.01.2020
- Chambers USA, 04.23.2020
- Business North Carolina, 01.10.2020
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, 11.01.2019
- Chambers USA, 04.29.2019
- Smith Anderson Ranks Nationally and Regionally in Practice Areas by U.S. News and Best Lawyers® 2019 “Best Law Firms”U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, 11.07.2018
- Chambers USA, 05.03.2018
- Chambers USA, 05.30.2017
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team11.30.2016
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- Smith Anderson’s M&A and Finance Practices and Four Lawyers Ranked in IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms11.14.2019