Zeb Anderson has devoted his career to the representation of private and public employers in connection with all aspects of employment-related litigation. He has represented employers in state and federal courts and before government agencies throughout North Carolina and in other jurisdictions across the country. His experience includes litigation involving employment-related statutory, as well as common law, claims arising under federal and state law and issues that arise when employees leave to join competitors, including non-compete and non-solicitation restrictions, trade secret misappropriation, tortious interference and unfair competition.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Employment Section
- Defense Research Institute, Employment Law, Intellectual Property Litigation, and Diversity Committees
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, Employment and Commercial Litigation Practice Groups
- North Carolina Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- Member, Section Council
- North Carolina Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Former Member, Section Council
- Former Editor, The Litigator
- Former Treasurer
- Co-chair, Smith Anderson Lawyer Development Committee
- Member and former co-chair, Smith Anderson Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- Member and former co-chair, Smith Anderson Recruiting Committee
- Wake County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Benchmark Litigation, North Carolina Labor and Employment Star (2018-2021)
- Best Lawyers®, Litigation - Labor and Employment (2016-2022); Employment Law-Management (2018-2022)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers, Labor & Employment (2015-2021)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2012-2021)
- Business North Carolina's Legal Elite, Employment (2017)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2009)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- Since 2000, served as lead counsel in over 80 cases in various industries involving the defense of employment-related claims, including alleged discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge, civil rights violations, labor standards and wage and hour violations, denial of employee benefits and workplace violence.
- Served as lead counsel in aviation industry-based class and collective action alleging violation of wage and hour laws in connection with baggage-related tip and service charge practices.
- Represented global pharmaceutical company in series of class and collective actions filed in Arizona, California and New York alleging that the company’s failure to pay its pharmaceutical sales representatives overtime for hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week violated the FLSA and state law.
- Defended employer in the material handling industry that was sued in Florida state court by Fortune 100 company that claimed the employer misappropriated its trade secrets, tortiously interfered with its employee relationships and otherwise unfairly competed with it when the employer hired 19 of its at-will employees over the course of several months.
- Defended employer in the entertainment industry and a newly-hired employee who was sued in Michigan state court by a competitor who previously employed that employee and who claimed that the employee breached and the employer tortiously interfered with a non-solicitation agreement after the employee joined the employer.
- Represented multiple insurance companies in lawsuits brought in state and federal courts in North Carolina that involved allegations of non-compete and non-solicitation agreement breach by insurance agents who left one company to join a competitor.
- Represented medical device distributor in lawsuit filed in federal court in North Carolina that sought to restrain the sales activities of former sales employees who left to join a competitor, but were bound by non-solicitation agreements.
- Represented many employers in the health care, pharmaceutical, logistics/transportation and other industries in lawsuits throughout the state and federal courts in North Carolina involving allegations of non-compete and non-solicitation agreement breach, trade secret misappropriation, tortious interference and unfair competition.
- Provided advice and counseling to employers in connection with all aspects of employment law, ranging from EEO issues to non-compete agreements and trade secret protection.
- Advised a global financial services technology company on the employment-related aspects of its acquisition of a leading provider of deal analytics and valuation technology.
News & Publications
- Four Smith Anderson Employment Litigators Honored in 2021 Edition of Benchmark Litigation Labor & EmploymentBenchmark Litigation Labor & Employment, 09.23.2021
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers, 08.19.2021
- Smith Anderson Shines in 2021 Chambers USA with Most Band 1 Practice Rankings of Any NC-Based Law FirmChambers USA, 05.21.2021
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 23 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2021 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.15.2021
- Benchmark Litigation, 10.13.2020
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- North Carolina Lawyers Weekly and South Carolina Lawyers Weekly, 07.23.2020
- Chambers USA, 04.23.2020
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 24 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2020 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.22.2020
- Benchmark Litigation Honors Smith Anderson’s Litigation and Employment Litigation Groups and 12 LawyersBenchmark Litigation, 10.14.2019
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- Chambers USA, 04.29.2019
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in 2019Super Lawyers, 01.24.2019
- Benchmark Litigation, 10.16.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- Triangle Business Journal Consults with Trade Secrets Attorney Zeb Anderson on the Growing Upsurge in Trade Secrets Lawsuits in NCTriangle Business Journal, 07.23.2018
- Chambers USA, 05.03.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- Chambers USA, 05.30.2017
- Super Lawyers, 01.20.2017
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- Chambers USA, 06.01.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Zeb Anderson Elected to Labor and Employment Law Section Council of the North Carolina Bar Association12.01.2011
- Supreme Court Concludes Firing an Employee Based on Sexual Orientation or Transgender Status Violates Title VII06.23.2020
- Supreme Court Holds Class Action Waivers in Arbitration Agreements are Enforceable - a Victory for Employers05.29.2018
- 2015Practical Law™ Labor & Employment
- NC Business Court Allows Misappropriation Case to go Forward but Declines to Issue Preliminary Injunction11.27.2013
- Contributor, Chapter 11, “Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity,” Employment Discrimination Law4th Edition 2007 BNA
- Contributor, Chapter 33, “Litigation Procedure,” Employment Discrimination Law3rd Edition 2002 Cumulative Supplement BNA
- Presenter, "EEO Update,” Smith Anderson 28th Annual Employment Law Update, Virtual10.15.2020
- "EEO Update," Smith Anderson 27th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.11.2019
- "Mandatory Arbitration - It's a No-Brainer - or is it?” Smith Anderson 26th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.11.14.2018
- "Equal Employment Opportunity Update,” Smith Anderson 26th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.11.2018
- "Equal Employment Opportunity Update,” Smith Anderson 25th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.10.2017
- "EEO Update," Smith Anderson's 23rd Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.10.2015
- "Restrictive Covenants in Employment Agreements: Best Practices in 2015," Executive Roundtable Session 3, Raleigh, N.C.06.2015
- "EEO Update," Smith Anderson's 22nd Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.10.2014
- "EEO Update," Smith Anderson’s 21st Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.11.2013
- "Non-Compete Agreements: What to Protect and How to Protect it," Protecting Proprietary Business Assets: Strategies to Safeguard Your Company Seminar at Vaco, Raleigh, N.C.10.2013
- Protecting Proprietary Business Assets: Strategies to Safeguard Your Company seminar at The Umstead, Cary, N.C.06.2013
- "EEO Update," Smith Anderson’s 20th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.11.2012
- "Protecting Your Business from Unfair Competition by Former Employees: A Roadmap of Tools and Enforcement," Smith Anderson’s 20th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.11.2012
- "EEO Update," Smith Anderson’s 19th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.11.2011
Bar & Court Admissions
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
- All North Carolina State Courts
University of Virginia, 1994
- Editorial Board, Virginia Law Review, 1992-1994
- Order of the Coif
Duke University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1991