Steve Parascandola is recognized as one of North Carolina's leading environmental, health and safety lawyers by Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers, The Best Lawyers in America©, Marquis' Who's Who in American Law, Business North Carolina's Legal Elite, and North Carolina Super Lawyers. He leads Smith Anderson's Governmental Affairs, Administrative and Regulatory Law team, including the Environmental and OSHA practice groups.
Steve began his career as an environmental, health and safety attorney in the New York City office of a prominent regional law firm. Prior to joining Smith Anderson in 1996, he also spent almost four years as Senior Enforcement Counsel for the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality. Among other things, Steve served as co-counsel in the first Superfund cost recovery action ever brought by the State of North Carolina, and helped to implement the state Brownfields Program. He has also served as lead defense counsel in one of the largest OSHA enforcement actions brought to date in North Carolina.
His current practice involves many substantive areas of environmental, OSHA and land use law, including the State and Federal CERCLA, RCRA, UST, FIFRA, TSCA, FDA, FSMA, USDA/APHIS, Dry Cleaner Solvent and Brownfields Programs. His practice also includes water quality, landfill, storm water, and wetlands issues. In addition, Steve advises clients in the biotechnology, pesticide, agricultural, pharmaceutical and food management industries with respect to registrations, certifications, labeling, permits, and regulatory compliance. He is a registered lobbyist in North Carolina.
He regularly counsels clients on risk management, particularly with respect to mergers and acquisitions, due diligence, insurance matters, investigations and audits, and public company environmental disclosures. He also has extensive experience representing clients before regulatory agencies and has handled a broad range of complex transactions for the purchase, sale, leasing, construction and development of commercial, industrial, and public utility properties.
Within the firm, Steve has held various leadership positions, most recently serving as a member of the firm’s Partnership Admission and Compensation Committees.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- New York Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Member, Environmental Law Section Council
- Wake County Bar Association
- Local Advisory Board, Capital Bank
- Member, Existing Industry Committee, Cary Chamber of Commerce
- President, Board of Governors of MacGregor Downs Country Club, Ltd.
- Member, North Carolina Association of Environmental Professionals
- Member, North Carolina Citizens for Business and Industry’s Environmental Concerns Committee
- Member, North Carolina Economic Developers Association
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Environmental Law (2007-2021)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers, Environmental (2013-2020)
- Business North Carolina "Legal Elite," Environmental
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2010-2013, 2016-2020)
- Marquis Who's Who in American Law
- Fluent in Italian and Spanish; conversational and written Portuguese
- Advised an investment company in a definitive agreement to purchase the outstanding equity interests of the largest independent blender and packager of lubricants to the automotive, agriculture, commercial and heavy duty markets in North America.
- Served as local environmental counsel for Fortune 100 company that owns and operates large scale waste-to-energy facilities.
- Represented a major convenience store chain for over 20 years in connection with acquisitions, enforcement defense, environmental permitting, and private party settlements throughout 14 states.
- Represented a leading North Carolina developer in connection with contaminated property redevelopments throughout North Carolina.
- Represented a global developer and manufacturer of pharmaceuticals, biopharmaceuticals and agrochemicals in connection with defense of one of the single largest OSHA enforcement actions ever brought by the N.C. Department of Labor.
- Represented an international privately-held soft drink manufacturer, seller and distributing company in connection with its acquisitions and environmental and OSHA compliance at facilities across the United States.
- Represented one of North Carolina’s largest community banks in connection with financing of Brownfields Program projects throughout North Carolina.
- Advised a semiconductor and LED company on the environmental aspects of the divestiture of its lighting products business unit for an initial cash payment of $225 million plus the potential to receive an earn-out payment based on the business’s post-closing performance.
- Assisted the largest electric utility in the United States for over 16 years with acquisitions, dispositions, and regulatory compliance regarding the utility's power plant properties, lakes, substations, transmission and distribution projects across North and South Carolina.
- Represented a national paper product company in connection with its environmental permitting and OSHA compliance at several North Carolina facilities.
- Represented a major convenience store chain with environmental insurance coverage disputes throughout the Southeast.
- Represented the largest electric utility in the United States who is a performing party in a CERCLA removal action at the largest Superfund Site in North Carolina and also in related contribution litigation brought against over 150 parties.
- Represented the nation's third-largest poultry producer in OSHA enforcement defense, managing OSHA inspections, and with responses to employee complaints made to NCDOL's OSH Division.
- Represented one of the nation's largest convenience store chains with the acquisition of 47 stores and 6 ethanol distribution facilities in Kansas and Missouri.
- Assisted a global developer and manufacturer of pharmaceuticals, biopharmaceuticals and agrochemicals with OSHA compliance, document requests and inspections by NCDOL's OSH Division.
- Represented various clients to defend against and avoid to third-party claims for property damage and personal injury related to off-site contamination from underground storage tanks and general facility operations.
News & Publications
- The Deal | Law360 | Triangle Business Journal, 10.16.2020
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Yahoo! News Seeks Insight from Steve Parascandola on New OSHA Requirements for Companies to Report COVID-19 Cases to Employees and PublicYahoo! News, 06.30.2020
- TBJ Asks Rose Kenyon and Steve Parascandola about Coronavirus Testing and OSHA as it Relates to EmployersTriangle Business Journal, 04.29.2020
- Chambers USA, 04.23.2020
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 24 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2020 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.22.2020
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- Chambers USA, 04.29.2019
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in 2019Super Lawyers, 01.24.2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- Chambers USA, 05.03.2018
- 2018 North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty-three Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.25.2018
- Triangle Business Journal, 11.28.2017
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- National Rankings Guide Recognizes Smith Anderson’s Environment and Real Estate Development Practices and Seven Attorneys06.23.2017
- Chambers USA, 05.30.2017
- Super Lawyers, 01.20.2017
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- Chambers USA, 06.01.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- 06.08.2015Publication: Material Handling & Logistics (MH&L)
- 04.23.2015Construction Executive
- North Carolina MGM News, August 2010, Vol. 21, No. 3
- Introduction to Biotech: Environmental, Health & Safety Laws Commonly Affecting the Biotechnology Industry05.16.2002
- Co-Author, "North Carolina Construction Law Deskbook," Chapter VII: Environmental Issues in Construction Law, 2013
- Author, "North Carolina Construction Law Deskbook," Environmental Law Chapter, 2010
- Co-Author, "Water Availability: Practical Approaches for Dealing with Drought and Growth Pressures," Land Use Institute, 2008
- Co-Author, "Consider State Incentives Before Deciding to Expand," Business North Carolina Law Journal, 2005
- Author, "Businesses Face Significant Regulation Bringing Biotech Products to Market," Business North Carolina Journal, 2001
- Reopening Safely Under OSHA05.28.2020
- Presenter, "COVID-19 and the Workplace: Staying Out of Trouble,” Smith Anderson 28th Annual Employment Law Update, Virtual10.15.2020
- Co-Presenter, "Open for Business During the Times of COVID-19: Key Considerations for North Carolina Businesses," Webinar hosted by NCEDA06.18.2020
- Co-Presenter, "Open for Business During the Times of COVID-19: Is Your Company Prepared?" Webinar hosted by the NCBA06.10.2020
- Presenter, "Reopening Safely Under OSHA," Live Webinar05.28.2020
- Presenter, "OSHA Hot Topics and Trends: 2019 and Beyond," Smith Anderson 27th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.11.2019
- Presenter, “Navigating an OSHA Case: From Inspection to Hearing,” Western North Carolina Safety & Health Conference, Asheville, N.C.11.01.2016
- Presenter, "Navigating an OSHA Citation from Inspection to Hearing," Eastern Carolina Safety and Health School, New Bern, N.C.04.2016
- Co-Presenter, "Navigating an OSHA Case From Inspection to Hearing," North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys' 2016 Winter Workshop, Morrisville, N.C.01.2016
- Co-Presenter, "OSHA 2015: A Busy Year and More to Come - Will You Face Enforcement Action and Are You Ready,?" Smith Anderson's 23rd Annual Employment Law Update, Raleigh, N.C.10.2015
- Presenter, "Federal Legislative and Regulatory Update," North Carolina Chamber's Energy & Environmental Management Conference09.2015
- Co-Presenter, "OSHA 2014 and Beyond: Back in the Enforcement Business," Smith Anderson’s 21st Annual Employment Law Update, Raleigh, N.C.11.2013
- Co-Presenter, "OSHA 2013 and Beyond: Back in the Enforcement Business," North Carolina Manufacturers Alliance’s Environmental, Energy, Health and Safety School08.2013
- Co-Presenter, "OSHA 2013 and Beyond: Enforcement Defense Strategies," Eastern Carolina Safety and Health School04.2013
- Presenter, "Hazard Communication Standard & Worker Safety Requirements Applicable to Corrective Action," North Carolina Bar Association Environmental Law Section Meeting2013
- Presenter, North Carolina Chamber of Commerce 3rd Annual Environmental Management Summit2011
- Co-Presenter, "OSHA 2010 and Beyond: Back in the Enforcement Business," Smith Anderson's 18th Annual Employment Law Update, Raleigh, N.C.2010
- Co-Presenter, "Introduction to Biotech: Environmental, Health & Safety Laws Commonly Affecting the Biotechnology Industry, Emerging Trends in Environmental Law," North Carolina Bar Association Continuing Legal Education, Raleigh, N.C.05.2002
- Presenter, "Addressing Environmental Issues in Mergers and Acquisitions," North Carolina Bar Association Business Law Section Annual Meeting2002
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- New York
Stetson University, J.D., 1988
- Law Review
Eckerd College, B.A. 1984
Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 1982-1983