Bill Nelson is co-chair of the firm’s tax group. Bill receives a Band 1 ranking in Chambers USA Tax Law. Clients say Bill is "…responsive, gracious, patient, kind, thoughtful and provides deep insight. He has a very thorough knowledge of North Carolina tax law and has built strong relationships within the Department and the legislature" (Chambers USA 2020).
Bill's experience includes tax planning for corporate acquisitions, tax-free reorganizations and divestitures, forming and advising joint ventures and private equity funds, providing tax and business law advice to limited partnerships and limited liability companies, and representing domestic and foreign taxpayers on international tax matters. He also represents taxpayers before federal, state and local tax authorities in tax controversies. He has extensive experience advising clients on North Carolina tax matters and representing taxpayers before the NC Department of Revenue and in the General Assembly. Bill has written and spoken on a variety of federal and state tax topics and has been active in a number of state tax and business law legislative reform efforts.
In addition to tax matters, Bill regularly represents private companies in acquisitions and divestitures and other corporate and commercial matters. He also advises tax-exempt entities, including both public charities and private foundations on corporate law and tax matters.
Before joining Smith Anderson, Bill practiced with a prominent international law firm in Los Angeles.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Fellow, American College of Tax Counsel
- Chairman, North Carolina Chamber Tax Committee
- Member, UNC Tax Institute Board of Advisors
- Past Chair, North Carolina Bar Association Tax Section
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Past Member, North Carolina Bar Foundation Endowment Committee
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Tax Law (2006-2021)
- Best Lawyers®,"Lawyer of the Year," Raleigh Tax Law (2020)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Tax (2020)
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2007-2019)
Guest Lecturer, Duke University School of Law, 2016-2021
Adjunct Professor of Law, UNC School of Law, Spring Semester 2009
- Represented an international research-oriented healthcare group in the acquisition of worldwide product rights from a Canadian pharmaceutical company.
- Advised a private equity fund in its acquisition of a leading provider of staffing resources to the biotechnology, pharmaceutical and medical device companies for clinical trial needs.
- Advised a global CRO business in the staged acquisition of the leading interactive response technology provider for $75 million in value.
- Represented a global financial services technology company in its acquisition of a leading provider of deal analytics and valuation technology.
- Represented a major regional distributor of industrial gases in a strategic merger of equals of two similarly situated businesses.
- Advised a pharmaceutical and biotech construction company and its shareholders in a stock sale transaction for $25.5 million.
- Represented a specialty pharmaceutical company in a $120 million merger with a subsidiary of a publicly-traded international pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a leading provider of pharmacy-based patient care solutions and medication synchronization services to independent and chain pharmacies in its approximately $41 million sale of the company to a publicly traded buyer.
- Advised a private equity fund in its acquisition of a specialty pharmaceutical company.
News & Publications
- The Deal | American Banker | Law360, 10.16.2020
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Bloomberg Tax, 07.02.2020
- Chambers USA, 04.23.2020
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- Bill Nelson Provides Insight to Bloomberg Law on N.C Tax Refunds Linked to June U.S. Supreme Court RulingBloomberg Law, 07.17.2019
- Bloomberg Law, 05.21.2019
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in 2019Super Lawyers, 01.24.2019
- Bill Nelson Provides Insight on North Carolina’s Decision to Enforce Remote Sellers to Collect Sales Tax with Bloomberg TaxBloomberg Tax, 08.15.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- Bloomberg Tax, 06.12.2018
- Tax Analysts, 05.21.2018
- Bloomberg Tax, 04.17.2018
- Bloomberg Tax, 02.27.2018
- Bloomberg Tax Discusses Impact of Federal Tax Bill on North Carolina Taxpayers with Smith Anderson Business Tax AttorneyBloomberg Tax, 02.21.2018
- 2018 North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty-three Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.25.2018
- Bloomberg Tax Reviews Tax Decisions Facing North Carolina Lawmakers in 2018 with Smith Anderson Partner Bill NelsonBloomberg Tax, 01.08.2018
- Smith Anderson Partner Bill Nelson Discusses Tax Reform and Its Potential Impact on the Triangle’s Business ClimateTriangle Business Journal, 12.28.2017
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- Bloomberg BNA, 07.05.2017
- WUNC TV “Bottom Line”, 06.26.2017
- Triangle Business Journal, 06.23.2017
- Bloomberg BNA Taps Partner Bill Nelson for Insights on Senate Bill 75 Proposing a Cap on North Carolina’s Personal Income Tax RateBloomberg BNA, 03.17.2017
- Super Lawyers, 01.20.2017
- Triangle Business Journal Discusses North Carolina Tax Changes Expected in 2017 with Partner Bill NelsonTriangle Business Journal, 01.03.2017
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Smith Anderson Represents General Parts International in $2.04 Billion Merger with Advance Auto Parts03.18.2014
- Kimberly Swintosky and Bill Nelson Serve on the 2012 J. Nelson Young Tax Institute Planning Committee05.11.2012
- Wolters Kluwer, CCH Group
- 12.16.2019Published by North Carolina Law Review
- 01.25.2019Interim Report | North Carolina Association of CPAs
- Remote Sellers Face Deadline for North Carolina Sales Tax Compliance: North Carolina Responds to Wayfair08.08.2018
- U.S. Supreme Court Overrules Quill, But Leaves Many Unanswered Questions: South Dakota v. Wayfair Inc.06.26.2018
- Co-Presenter, "Legislative Update," NCACPA NC State & Local Tax Conference Webcast12.09.2020
- Co-Presenter, "Legislative, NC Taxes and Covid-19 Liability Update," NCACPA Business & Industry Fall Virtual Conference09.15.2020
- Speaker, "Overview of CARES Act Tax Relief for Businesses," Live Webinar hosted by NC Chamber04.08.2020
- Co-Speaker, "State Legislative Issues," ncaCPA's 2019 Members in Business & Industry Spring Conference, Greensboro, N.C.05.22.2019
- Speaker, "Significant Changes in Multi-State Taxes, South Dakota v. Wayfair," North Carolina State and Local Tax Conference, Greensboro N.C.12.05.2018
- Speaker, "South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc.: The Decision & Implications," Tax Executives Institute, Inc. Carolinas Chapter, Durham, N.C.11.02.2018
- Speaker, "South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc.: The Decision & Implications," Tax Executives Institute, Inc. Carolinas Chapter, Charlotte, N.C.10.04.2018
- Speaker, "Reforming North Carolina’s Tax System," University of North Carolina's 2016 Festival of Legal Learning, Chapel Hill, N.C.02.13.2016
- Speaker, "Key Issues for Manufacturing - Single Sales Factor and Franchise Tax Reform," North Carolina Chamber's Annual Tax Conference, Charlotte, N.C.11.13.2014
- Speaker, "North Carolina Tax Reform and its Impact on Business," North Carolina Chamber’s Annual Tax Conference, Charlotte, N.C.11.07.2013