Rob Duggins leads the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions group and practices corporate law. He has advised public and private buyers and sellers in a variety of industries, notably pharmaceutical services, technology and electronics, and regularly advises boards of directors on related matters of corporate governance. His recent experience includes both domestic and cross-border work in acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures. In Chambers USA, clients say he is "masterful at getting into the specifics of a particular issue and solving it, as there is little that he hasn't seen" (Chambers USA 2020).
Rob also advises sell-side clients on strategic planning and preparations in advance of potential acquisitions and has worked with and advised multiple buy-side clients on developing systematic programs to leverage efficiencies across multiple acquisitions and to integrate and harmonize execution between in-house legal departments and transaction lawyers from the firm.
In addition to his M&A practice, Rob is the partner in charge of Smith Anderson’s Knowledge Management program and the firm’s Corporate partner in charge of pricing and client service.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Business Law Section Council
- Chair, Mergers and Acquisitions Committee
- Business Law Section Council
- Wake County Bar Association
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Alice Aycock Poe Center for Health Education
- Elder, past Clerk of Session, Hudson Memorial Presbyterian Church
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Trinity Academy of Raleigh
Honors & Awards
- "Highly Regarded," IFLR1000: The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms, M&A (2021)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions (2015-2021)
- Best Lawyers®, Corporate Law; Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2013-2022)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2015-2021)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- Advised a semiconductor and global solid state LED lighting manufacturing company in an agreement to purchase the assets of the radio frequency (RF) power business of a publicly traded semiconductor company for €345 million in cash.
- Represented a global solid state LED lighting and semiconductor manufacturing company in connection with its announced agreement for its $850 million sale of assets to a publicly traded German semiconductor company. The transaction was terminated before completion due to regulatory considerations.
- Advised a semiconductor and LED company on the divestiture of its lighting products business unit for an initial cash payment of $225 million plus the potential to receive an earn-out payment based on the business’s post-closing performance.
- Advised the world’s largest provider of biopharmaceutical development and commercial outsourcing services in its acquisition of a health-information analytics and technology services company focused on healthcare providers.
- Represented a public specialty pharmaceutical company in its $150 million acquisition of a private specialty pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a global solid state LED lighting and semiconductor manufacturing company in connection with its $525 million stock acquisition of a manufacturer and distributor of commercial lighting products.
- Represented a global solid state LED lighting and semiconductor manufacturing company in a Hong Kong joint venture to sell mid-power lighting class LED packaged products.
- Represented a global solid state LED lighting and semiconductor manufacturing company in connection with its strategic alliance with a manufacturer and distributor of specialty lighting control products.
Advised a global contract research organization and drug development services company in a definitive agreement to acquire a provider of decentralized and traditional clinical trial-related services.
Advised a global contract research organization and drug development services company in a definitive agreement to acquire a provider of mobile-connected self-service platform solutions for decentralized clinical trials.
- Advised specialty contract research organization as U.S. counsel in its purchase of a European contract research organization.
- Represented venture-backed laboratory software company in its $30 million acquisition by a global supplier of medical products.
- Advised a privately-held food processing technology company in an agreement to sell the assets of its two wholly-owned subsidiaries for $25 million in cash at closing with a $20 million cash earnout.
- Represented subsidiary of a company focused on investment and collaborative transactions in biopharmaceuticals and related industries in connection with its collaboration agreement with a global pharmaceutical company to conduct multiple clinical trials.
- Represented a human resources computer software company in its $100 million acquisition by a private equity firm.
- Represented a leading provider of pharmacy-based patient care solutions and medication synchronization services to independent and chain pharmacies in its approximately $41 million sale of the company to a publicly traded buyer.
- Represented a company in the sale of its contract drug manufacturing organization business. This transaction was awarded the Corporate/Strategic Deal of the Year ($10-$25 million) award at the 2019 M&A Advisor Awards.
- Represented an international manufacturer of integrated fueling systems for fueling stations in its strategic collaboration with a specialty software company.
- Represented a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in connection with its collaboration agreement with a Fortune 150 company to develop a project management platform.
- Represent a global solid state LED lighting and semiconductor manufacturing company in a wide range of supply, distribution, collaboration and other commercial arrangements with industry partners.
- Advised an enterprise storage management company in its sale to a private equity sponsor.
- Advised a leading contract research organization in a definitive agreement to acquire a provider of contract research, clinical and regulatory and other consulting services.
News & Publications
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers, 08.19.2021
- Smith Anderson Shines in 2021 Chambers USA with Most Band 1 Practice Rankings of Any NC-Based Law FirmChambers USA, 05.21.2021
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 23 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2021 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.15.2021
- Smith Anderson’s M&A and Finance Practices and Five Lawyers Ranked by IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law FirmsIFLR: 1000 The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms, 10.01.2020
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Chambers USA, 04.23.2020
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 24 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2020 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.22.2020
- The M&A Advisor, 12.03.2019
- The M&A Advisor, 09.13.2019
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- Chambers USA, 04.29.2019
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in 2019Super Lawyers, 01.24.2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- Chambers USA, 05.03.2018
- 2018 North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty-three Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.25.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- Chambers USA, 05.30.2017
- Super Lawyers, 01.20.2017
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- Chambers USA, 06.01.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- Presenter, "Leveraging Technology for Competitive Differentiation," Ally Law Americas Meeting, Grand Rapids, M.I.09.20.2019
- Presenter, "Closing the Deal & Post-Exit Considerations," CED Accelerate Series, Research Triangle Park, N.C.06.27.2019
- Presenter, "Mergers & Acquisitions," Selected Issues for Multi-Disciplinary Corporate Practitioners, Morrisville, N.C.02.15.2019
- Guest Lecturer, "Life Cycle of an M&A Deal," University of North Carolina School of Law (2017-2019)
- Co-Presenter, "The Untapped Power of Bylaws to Protect Your Company and Preparing a Well-Organized M&A Due Diligence Process to Sell Your Company or Buy Another," VACO CPE Series, Raleigh, N.C.06.2015
- Presenter, "Mergers & Acquisitions: The Accountant’s Role from Start to Finish," the NCACPA 73rd Annual Symposium11.2012
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
University of North Carolina, J.D., with honors, 1990
North Carolina State University, B.S., Computer Science, 1987