Isaac Linnartz’s practice focuses on business litigation and employment litigation. He has experience litigating claims for breach of contract, unfair trade practices, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and other business-related claims. In addition, he represents employers in cases involving claims of discrimination, retaliation, harassment, wrongful termination, wage and hour violations, and trade secret and non-compete issues. Using this experience, Isaac also advises businesses and employers on how to prevent and resolve disputes prior to litigation.
Isaac also serves on Smith Anderson's Recruiting Committee.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2014-2019)
- Benchmark Litigation 40 & Under Hot List (2018)
- Selected, North Carolina Bar Association's Leadership Academy, Class of 2016
- Executive Editor, Duke Law Journal
- Represented an internet marketing company in bringing trade secret and breach of contract claims against public company for misappropriating trade secrets and misusing confidential information obtained during due diligence for a potential business transaction. Obtained preliminary and permanent injunctions barring the defendant from using our client’s confidential information or engaging in wrongful competition.
- Represented a publisher of telephone directories in a breach of contract case against a national telecommunications company. After a bench trial, the Court ruled in our client’s favor on all issues, issued a declaratory judgment that saved our client over $100 million, and awarded our client over $1.2 million in attorneys’ fees.
- Defended a bank in numerous consumer class action lawsuits around the country alleging that the bank facilitated improper lending practices.
- Represented a company and its directors and officers in defense of shareholder derivative claims filed under “say on pay” provisions of Dodd-Frank Act. Obtained dismissal of all claims in federal court.
- Defended a soft drink bottler against claims for breach of an alleged long-term requirements contract brought by cooperative of soft drink bottlers. The case was resolved by confidential settlement after a week-long trial in federal court in South Carolina.
- Defended a public utility company against whistleblower retaliation, retaliatory discharge, wrongful discharge, and wage and hour claims brought by former employee. Obtained summary judgment in federal court that was affirmed on appeal by the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Defended a public utility company against sex discrimination, harassment, and retaliation claims brought by former employee. Obtained summary judgment in federal court that was affirmed on appeal by the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Defended a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services against sex and national origin discrimination claims brought by former pharmaceutical sales representative. The matter was favorably resolved by confidential settlement agreement.
- Defended a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services against national origin and pregnancy discrimination claims brought by former pharmaceutical sales representative. Obtained summary judgment in federal court in Florida.
- Defended a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services and supervisor against sex discrimination, disability discrimination, FMLA non-compliance, and FMLA retaliation claims brought by former pharmaceutical sales representative. The matter was mediated and favorably resolved by confidential settlement.
- Defended a community college against religious discrimination claim brought under Title VII and obtained dismissal with prejudice.
- Defended a public telecommunications company against claims of racial discrimination and retaliation brought by a former employee in federal court. Obtained dismissal with prejudice by showing through discovery that plaintiff made false representations to the court in applications to proceed in forma pauperis.
- Represented a global pharmaceutical, vaccines, and consumer health company in putative collective and class actions in Florida and New York alleging violations of federal and state wage and hour laws based on failure to pay overtime to pharmaceutical sales representatives.
- Defended a surgeon and surgical practice at trial in case alleging wrongful death. The jury returned a verdict in favor of our clients after a 9-day trial.
- Represented a tenant pro bono in a lawsuit against her landlord for retaining her security deposit after failing to deliver habitable premises. The case was tried and resulted in our client obtaining and collecting a judgment for actual damages and punitive damages.
News & Publications
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in 2019Super Lawyers, 01.24.2019
- Benchmark Litigation, 10.16.2018
- 2018 North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty-three Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars01.25.2018
- Tyranny of the Minority: North Carolina Business Court Explores Potential Fiduciary Duties of Minority Shareholders10.01.2015
- North Carolina Business Court Limits Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practice Claims Concerning Internal Corporate Matters02.07.2014
- The Siren Song of Interrogational Torture: Evaluating the U.S. Implementation of the U.N. Convention Against Torture, 57 Duke L.J. 1485, 2008
Events & Webinars
- Panelist, Duke Annual Fund Alumni Career Night, Duke University School of LawDurham, N.C., 02.01.2018
- Panel Moderator, "North Carolina Business Court Update," NCADA Annual MeetingHilton Head, S.C., 06.2017
- Panelist, "Advice for a Career in Litigation," Duke University School of LawDurham, N.C, 04.2014
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- All North Carolina State Courts
Duke University, J.D., cum laude, 2009
- Order of the Coif
Duke University Divinity School, Master of Theological Studies, summa cum laude, 2009
Duke University, B.A., History, 2004
- Law Clerk to Chief Judge David B. Sentelle of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in Washington, DC.