Steve Mason practices in the areas of commercial real estate, lending transactions and corporate law. His practice includes representation of commercial banks and other lending institutions.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Former Chair, Board of Directors, DHIC, Inc., non-profit affordable housing developer
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, American College of Mortgage Attorneys
- Best Lawyers®, Real Estate Law (1995-2022)
- Best Lawyers®, "Lawyer of the Year," Raleigh Real Estate Law (2012)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Real Estate: Finance (2004-2022); Real Estate (2017-2022)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2006-2014)
- Top 100 Lawyers, North Carolina Super Lawyers
- Named Top Business Lawyer in North Carolina by Business North Carolina (annual Legal Elite peer selection edition, January 2009)
- Business North Carolina's Legal Elite, Real Estate (2004-2016)
- Hall of Fame since 2009
- Adjunct Professor, University of North Carolina School of Law (2015-Present)
Steve Mason has over thirty years of experience in the areas of:
- real estate finance.
- counseling clients with regard to development and leasing issues.
- counsel to various office, retail and residential developers and investors.
He has also been involved in numerous secured lending transactions as well as syndicated credit arrangements.
Additionally, he engages in a general business practice, counseling clients on contract issues, finance and acquisitions.
News & Publications
- Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognizes 98 Smith Anderson Attorneys in Latest PublicationBest Lawyers®, 08.18.2022
- Chambers USA, 06.03.2022
- Business North Carolina, 01.07.2022
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers, 08.19.2021
- Smith Anderson Shines in 2021 Chambers USA with Most Band 1 Practice Rankings of Any NC-Based Law FirmChambers USA, 05.21.2021
- Business North Carolina, 01.12.2021
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Chambers USA, 04.23.2020
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- Chambers USA, 04.29.2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- Chambers USA, 05.03.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- National Rankings Guide Recognizes Smith Anderson’s Environment and Real Estate Development Practices and Seven Attorneys06.23.2017
- Chambers USA, 05.30.2017
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- Chambers USA, 06.01.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- Chambers USA 2012 Distinguishes Twelve Smith Anderson Partners Among America’s Leading Lawyers for Business06.07.2012
- Chambers USA 2011 Recognizes Eleven Smith Anderson Partners Among America’s Leading Lawyers for Business06.15.2011