Lee Kirby, a partner at the firm for twenty-two years, joined Smith Anderson in 1995 after almost a decade in New York City practicing with leading international law firms in project finance, syndicated credit facilities, mergers and acquisitions and other corporate matters. As a partner at Smith Anderson, Lee assisted clients in a broad array of domestic and international finance, corporate and energy matters, with particular emphasis on sophisticated financial transactions and corporate combinations. Prior to his transition to Of Counsel status in 2019, Lee served as head of the Smith Anderson Commercial team and chair of the firm’s Energy practice group (including Renewable Energy), and assisted the firm in attaining a national ranking for representation of borrowers in leveraged finance transactions. Lee remains Of Counsel in the areas of corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, public finance, contracts and nonprofit organizations.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association
- Member, Wake County Bar Association
- Board of Directors of Artsplosure, Inc.
- Past Vice President of Board of Trustees of the Baptist Retirement Homes of North Carolina, Incorporated
- Past President, Boylan Heights Association
- Former VISTA Volunteer
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers, Banking & Finance (2014-2022)
- Best Lawyers®, Banking & Finance Law, Corporate Law (2011-2022)
- "Lawyer of the Year," The Best Lawyers in America©, Raleigh Banking and Finance Law (2020)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- Represented a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in $2.225 billion senior secured revolving and term loan credit facilities for purpose of refinancing outstanding indebtedness and payment of significant dividend, and subsequent $250 million term loan and revolving credit facility add-on transaction and repricing amendments.
- Represented a holding company in dividend recapitalization utilizing a new $300 million senior secured term loan.
- Represented a multinational manufacturer and supplier to the papermaking industry in $280 million multi-currency senior secured credit facilities and $240 million senior notes offering.
- Represented a major convenience store chain in $480 million senior secured revolving and term loan credit facilities and $250 million senior notes offering for purpose of refinancing outstanding indebtedness including redemption of outstanding senior subordinated notes.
- Represented clinical technology provider in going-private transaction utilizing $445 million senior secured credit facilities and $250 million senior notes offering.
- Represented global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in going-private transaction utilizing $1.2 billion senior secured credit facilities and $480 million senior subordinated notes offering.
- Represented global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in series of transactions for the monetization of revenue streams from approved pharmaceuticals.
- Represented the largest electric utility in the United States in series of acquisitions relating to power generation, including gas, wind and solar.
- Advised a publicly traded supplier of water and water dispensers in an agreement to acquire by merger a publicly traded competitor for $263 million in cash and stock.
- Represented a family-owned national customized food service company in asset based financing transactions, including a $260 million revolving credit facility and an $80 million securitization of receivables.
- Represented a major regional hospital in series of tax-exempt bond transactions.
- Represented the largest electric utility in the United States in financing of $250 million expansion of smart grid capabilities through utilization of federal grant.
- Represented the largest electric utility in the United States in $478 million revolving credit facility.
- Advised a leading provider of financial software and information products to U.S. financial institutions in a reverse triangular merger with a private equity-backed company.
- Represented shareholders of a major food service and distribution company in the sale of all shares to subsidiary of large publicly-traded holding company.
News & Publications
- Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognizes 98 Smith Anderson Attorneys in Latest PublicationBest Lawyers®, 08.18.2022
- Chambers USA, 06.03.2022
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers, 08.19.2021
- Smith Anderson Shines in 2021 Chambers USA with Most Band 1 Practice Rankings of Any NC-Based Law FirmChambers USA, 05.21.2021
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Chambers USA, 04.23.2020
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- Chambers USA, 04.29.2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- Chambers USA, 05.03.2018
- Inc. Magazine, 08.24.2017
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- Chambers USA, 05.30.2017
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- Chambers USA, 06.01.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Smith Anderson Represents General Parts International in $2.04 Billion Merger with Advance Auto Parts03.18.2014
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- Speaker, "Going Global: An International Panel Discussion," Cary, N.C.04.2016
- Speaker, "Accessing the Debt Markets," VACO Raleigh's Continuing Professional Education Series, Raleigh, N.C.03.2014
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- New York
Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1986
Carleton College, A.B., magna cum laude, 1978