Andrew Atkins joined Smith Anderson in 2013 and is a member of the firm’s Construction and Commercial Litigation practice groups. Andrew represents owners, contractors and developers in multi-party disputes involving public and private commercial projects. He is also regularly involved in other commercial, contract and business-related disputes.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Andrew served as a Judicial Law Clerk to Justice Mark Martin, Supreme Court of North Carolina. He also practiced at the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, United States Department of the Treasury (OCC), where he often worked with national banks on regulatory matters affecting their business operations and pursued enforcement actions on behalf of the OCC. Andrew’s previous experience has prepared him well to interact with government entities, as well as investigate and litigate matters on behalf of clients.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Member, North Carolina Rules Review Commission (2017-Present)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Reporter, Public Trust and Confidence Committee, North Carolina Commission on the Administration of Law and Justice (2015-2016)
- Member, Board of Advisors, North Carolina Center for Banking and Finance, 2010-2012
- Holy Trinity Anglican Church
Honors & Awards
- Selected, North Carolina Bar Association's Leadership Academy, Class of 2018
- Selected, E.A. Morris Fellowship for Emerging Leaders, Class of 2016
- Institute Editor, North Carolina Banking Institute Journal, 2010-2011
- Recipient, Chancellors’ Scholarship, University of North Carolina School of Law
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2019)
- Represented a wireless network engineering and construction company in Federal court in relation to recovery of losses arising out of fire damage to a cellular service tower. Obtained summary judgment on all claims for damages including recovery of attorneys’ fees.
- Represented a North Carolina municipality in relation to multiple disputes arising out of the design and construction of the municipalities’ sewer system.
- Represented a national engineering firm in relation to an arbitration regarding a force main failure in a residential neighborhood serving a military base.
- Represented clients before North Carolina Court of Appeals on a matter of first impression regarding the North Carolina Real Property Marketable Title Act, as well as the construction of restrictive covenants.
- On several occasions, represented a utility company in relation to allegations of personal injury.
- Represented multiple clients before the North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors and the North Carolina Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
- Represented a national general contractor in relation to disputes arising out of the construction of two public health care facilities.
News & Publications
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in 2019Super Lawyers, 01.24.2019
- Smith Anderson Receives Award for Excellence and Innovation at the 2017 Southeast Region Federal Construction, Infrastructure & Environmental Summit10.26.2017
- Three Smith Anderson Lawyers Appointed to Newly Created N.C. Commission on the Administration of Law and Justice09.22.2015
Author, New Methods of Financial White-Collar Criminal Investigation and Prosecution: The Spillover of Wiretaps to Civil Enforcement Proceedings, 33 Pace L. Rev. 716, Spring 2013
Author, The AIG Bailout: Constraining the Fed’s Discretion, 14 N.C. Banking Inst. 335, Spring 2010
Bar & Court Admissions
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- All North Carolina State Courts
University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., with high honors, 2011
- The Order of the Coif
- Dean’s List
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., Political Science (honors) and Economics, with highest distinction, 2008
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Dean’s List