Allen York focuses his practice on a wide range of real estate transactions, including representation of developers in connection with all phases of acquisition, ownership, operation and disposition of real property, such as title related matters, preparation of easements, restrictions and covenants for commercial developments, purchase and sale contracts, retail and office space leases and ground leases, property management and leasing agreements, real estate financing and disposition/acquisition closings. Allen has worked extensively on all aspects of retail developments, including mixed use developments, enclosed malls and power centers.
Allen is a LEED Accredited Professional (LEED-AP), a distinction he earned through the Green Building Certification Institute. In Chambers USA, clients say Allen “provides excellent advice and counsel” and he is “easy to work with and provides timely responses."
Professional & Community Affiliations
- International Council of Shopping Centers, Member
- Urban Land Institute, Member
- Wake County Bar Association, Real Property Section, Member
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Real Estate Law (2016-2022)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers, Real Estate (2016-2021)
- Business North Carolina's Legal Elite, Real Estate (2016, 2018, 2020)
- Hall of Fame since 2020
- Business North Carolina's Legal Elite
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2018-2021)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2012-2016)
- Represented a hotel management company regarding the disposition of a portfolio of twenty hotels valued over $350 million.
- Represented a developer in the disposition of a portfolio containing over forty office and retail properties valued over $550 million.
- Represents publicly-traded retail REITs in space and ground leasing matters, as well as acquisition and disposition of shopping centers and outparcels.
- Represented a developer regarding real estate matters related to the acquisition of an eighteen parcel, fifty acre assemblage.
News & Publications
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects Largest Class of “Rising Stars” in Firm’s Recent History – 32 Lawyers Recognized in All!Super Lawyers, 01.13.2022
- Business North Carolina, 01.07.2022
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers, 08.19.2021
- Smith Anderson Shines in 2021 Chambers USA with Most Band 1 Practice Rankings of Any NC-Based Law FirmChambers USA, 05.21.2021
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 23 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2021 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.15.2021
- Business North Carolina, 01.12.2021
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Chambers USA, 04.23.2020
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 24 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2020 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.22.2020
- Business North Carolina, 01.10.2020
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- Chambers USA, 04.29.2019
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in 2019Super Lawyers, 01.24.2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- Chambers USA, 05.03.2018
- 2018 North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty-three Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.25.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- National Rankings Guide Recognizes Smith Anderson’s Environment and Real Estate Development Practices and Seven Attorneys06.23.2017
- Chambers USA, 05.30.2017
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- Chambers USA, 06.01.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
“Considerations for Festival Events at Shopping Centers”, Retail Law Strategist; Winter 2011, Vol. 11, Issue 4
“The Basics of Shopping Center Leasing”, The Real Property Reality Show: Fear Factor or Survivor, November 6-7, 2008.