Businesses operating in regulated industries need trusted advisers to help navigate the complexities of federal, state and local regulations and compliance requirements. Smith Anderson is known for our unique capability to utilize a highly experienced and knowledgeable bipartisan approach to help clients achieve their objectives.
As a full-service business law firm with decades of experience, Smith Anderson clients large and small alike have access to corporate, transactional and litigation lawyers in areas such as Construction, Technology, Intellectual Property, Environmental and OSHA, Health Care, Employment, Labor and Human Resources, Tax and Mergers and Acquisitions who work together closely to help clients realize their objectives.
Our Government practice areas and lawyers are routinely recognized in industry-leading publications including U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” and The Best Lawyers in America©.
Our core areas of practice are:
Administrative Law: We regularly advise on issues that arise under state and federal law across a wide range of business disputes, including state and federal government bid protests, government procurement, licensing, audits, administrative and regulatory enforcement proceedings, challenges to state agency rulemaking, cybersecurity and privacy-related matters (including HIPAA and FERPA).
Corporate Relocation and Incentives: For companies seeking to relocate or expand to North Carolina, our work ranges from helping navigate regulatory, zoning, tax and land-use requirements to securing the full benefit of state and local financial incentives such as the North Carolina Job Development Investment Grant Program (JDIG) and the One North Carolina Fund.
Government Contracting: We have extensive experience in government contracts formation and administration, compliance requirements, and dispute resolution for a range of contracts, including federal military and nonmilitary and state, local and public construction. We help resolve the legal needs of long-time federal, state and local government contractors, subcontractors and grantees.
Government Relations: Our lawyers have decades of strategic advocacy success on a broad array of political, legislative, regulatory, administrative and legal issues – including extensive political campaign experience – and maintain strong relationships throughout North Carolina’s state government and in many of our cities and counties.
Insurance Regulation: Insurance industry professionals benefit from receiving a full range of services, from the formation and licensing of insurance companies, Holding Company Act transactions, and market conduct and financial examinations, to a myriad of other regulatory compliance projects. We work often with insurance companies, HMOs, MEWAs, captive insurers, and other industry participants.
News & Publications
- North State Journal, 08.24.2020
- Smith Anderson Named to Prestigious List of 37 Midsize Law Firms in U.S. “Punching Above Their Weight”Published by BTI Consulting Group, 05.07.2020
- Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team 2020; Recognized as a Leader in Client Service for the Fifth YearBTI Consulting Group Client Service A-Team, 12.05.2019
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, 11.01.2019
- Smith Anderson is Recognized as a Leader in Client Service, Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team for the Fourth YearBTI A-Team, 01.22.2019
- Smith Anderson Ranks Nationally and Regionally in Practice Areas by U.S. News and Best Lawyers® 2019 “Best Law Firms”U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, 11.07.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team, Recognized as a Leader in Client Service for the Third YearBTI A - Team, 11.29.2017
- Smith Anderson Recognized in 39 Practice Categories, Receives Two National Ratings in U.S. News and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, 11.02.2017
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team11.30.2016
- U.S. News and Best Lawyers® Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories, Awards Firm Two National Ratings11.01.2016
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- Smith Anderson Ranked Nationally as a Top 100 Firm for Client Service: Named to BTI Client Service A-Team01.04.2016