Government policies impact all sectors of our economy and affect all businesses, non-profits, and individuals. Whether its legislation, federal and state regulations, or local zoning issues, Smith Anderson’s team of business and regulatory attorneys helps clients navigate complex government policies and, if needed, influence change. We have decades of experience assisting clients in complying with government regulations in areas such as health care, public securities, employment, environmental, land use, banking and data use and privacy.
As the largest law firm headquartered in the state capital, Smith Anderson has guided clients through issues with North Carolina government agencies and the legislature for more than a century. We regularly support clients in a number of public policy areas including: legislative and executive branch lobbying, economic development incentives, government contracting and procurement, agency rulemaking, land use regulation, administrative proceedings and litigation.
Our expertise and experience has landed our individual attorneys and practices on leading legal publications that include Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, U.S. News - Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” and The Best Lawyers in America®. Lawyers at Smith Anderson provide practical, creative strategies to help our clients achieve their business goals while untangling the complexities of state, federal and international regulatory policies.
News & Publications
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® 2023 “Best Law Firms” Rankings Honor Smith Anderson in 46 Practice AreasU.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, 11.17.2022
- North State Journal, 12.21.2021
- U.S. News and Best Lawyers® 2022 “Best Law Firms” Ranks Smith Anderson Nationally and Regionally in 45 Practice AreasU.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, 11.10.2021
- North State Journal, 08.24.2020
- Smith Anderson Named to Prestigious List of 37 Midsize Law Firms in U.S. “Punching Above Their Weight”Published by BTI Consulting Group, 05.07.2020
- Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team 2020; Recognized as a Leader in Client Service for the Fifth YearBTI Consulting Group Client Service A-Team, 12.05.2019
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, 11.01.2019
- Smith Anderson is Recognized as a Leader in Client Service, Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team for the Fourth YearBTI A-Team, 01.22.2019
- Smith Anderson Ranks Nationally and Regionally in Practice Areas by U.S. News and Best Lawyers® 2019 “Best Law Firms”U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, 11.07.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team, Recognized as a Leader in Client Service for the Third YearBTI A - Team, 11.29.2017
- Smith Anderson Recognized in 39 Practice Categories, Receives Two National Ratings in U.S. News and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, 11.02.2017
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- Recognized Nationally for Best-in-Class Client Service, Smith Anderson is Named to the BTI Client Service A-Team11.30.2016
- U.S. News and Best Lawyers® Recognizes Smith Anderson in 38 Practice Categories, Awards Firm Two National Ratings11.01.2016
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- Smith Anderson Ranked Nationally as a Top 100 Firm for Client Service: Named to BTI Client Service A-Team01.04.2016