Our clients choose to work with Smith Anderson for many reasons, one of which is that our attorneys’ breadth of experience spans various areas of law, particularly administrative law. We have extensive experience in administrative law, appellate litigation, government contracts formation and administration, regulatory compliance, government relations and information technology agreements.
Lawyers in our Administrative Law practice regularly advise on administrative law issues arising under state and federal law, including analysis of statutes, rules and regulations and other agency guidance. Such issues occur across a broad spectrum of business disputes, including state and federal government bid protests, government procurement, licensing, audits, administrative and regulatory enforcement proceedings, and challenges to state agency rulemaking. We have appeared in administrative proceedings before many state agencies, including the North Carolina Office of Administrative Hearings and the Rules Review Commission, and in federal administrative proceedings.
Further, with decades of strategic advocacy success on a wide array of political, legislative, regulatory, administrative and legal issues – including extensive political campaign experience – our bipartisan team of government relations lawyers have deep connections throughout North Carolina’s state government and in many of our cities and counties. In its inaugural rankings, North State Journal named Smith Anderson a top five lobbying firm and one of our attorneys as a top 10 lobbyist. Our lawyers’ knowledge merges regulatory compliance, technology law and licensing, commercial contracting and dispute management with our trial-tested litigation team to provide subject matter expertise in the courtroom setting – named 2020 and 2021 “North Carolina Firm of the Year” for Litigation by Benchmark Litigation.
- State and federal government bid protests
- Government procurement
- Administrative and regulatory enforcement proceedings
- Challenges to state agency rulemaking
- Cyberecurity and privacy-related matters (including HIPAA and FERPA)
News & Publications
- Benchmark Litigation, 04.01.2021
- NC Chamber and NC Chamber Legal Institute Sidebar, 03.22.2021
- U.S. News and Best Lawyers® 2021 “Best Law Firms” Ranks Smith Anderson Nationally and Regionally in 45 Practice AreasU.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, 11.05.2020
- North State Journal, 08.24.2020
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Benchmark Litigation, 03.06.2020
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, 11.01.2019
- Smith Anderson Client Files Bid Protest Against DPI on Reading Diagnostics Tool Contract for K-3 StudentsThe News & Observer, 06.28.2019