Sharita has had a passion for real estate from a very young age. Growing up, she witnessed that ownership of land, a home, or business was unattainable for many, including her own family. Learning about real estate was the foundation upon which Sharita wanted to build her career. Having a career that is dedicated to real estate is a dream fulfilled on a daily basis.
Sharita is a member of the firm's Real Estate Development Group and focuses her practice in the areas of Commercial Real Estate and Real Estate Development. Sharita regularly assist clients with many aspects of commercial real estate, including, among other things: acquisitions, dispositions, and leasing; title analysis and title disputes; public utility real estate issues; right-of-way acquisitions; condemnation/eminent domain actions; and easement negotiation and drafting.
Sharita is committed to diversity and inclusion within the legal field and beyond and devotes a considerable amount of time to this commitment. She serves as co-chair of the firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee and is an active member of Triangle Commercial Real Estate Women (TCREW) and the North Carolina Bar Association’s Minorities in the Profession Committee.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Former Chair, Minorities in the Profession Committee
- Former Co-Chair, Minorities in the Profession Committee's ¡Adelante! Moving Forward Program
- Member, Real Property Section
- Legal Aid of North Carolina Volunteer Lawyer Program
- Wake County Bar Association
- Wake County Real Property Lawyers Association
- Triangle Commercial Real Estate Women (TCREW)
- International Right-of-Way Association (IRWA)
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2021)
- The National Black Lawyers Top 100 (2020)
- "Future Leader - Minority Lawyers (Private Practice)", inaugural Chambers Diversity Award, 2016
- "Tar Heel of the Week", The News & Observer, January 3, 2016
- "Leaders in Diversity" Award, Triangle Business Journal, 2015
- Awarded the honor of serving as a law student member of the 2008 Thurgood Marshall College Fund Leadership Institute in New York
- Extensive experience with complex real estate acquisition, right of way/easement acquisition, and title/boundary disputes.
- Certified to review and sign North Carolina real estate title opinions for numerous title insurance companies.
- Significant experience representing condemnors in condemnation/eminent domain matters across North Carolina.
News & Publications
- Kerry Shad and Sharita Whitaker Talk Diversity & Inclusion with Lawyers Weekly at Its D&I Awards CeremonyNorth Carolina Lawyers Weekly, 05.19.2021
- Above the Law Showcases Smith Anderson Attorneys on Diversity and Inclusion Initiatives for Law FirmsAbove the Law, "The Jabot" Podcast, 05.18.2021
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 23 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2021 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.15.2021
- The National Black Lawyers, 08.10.2020
- Smith Anderson Sponsors 4th Annual Women > A Force in Business Conference Attracting 1000+ Attendees11.20.2019
- Chambers USA, 06.20.2016
- Sharita Whitaker Discusses Minorities In The Profession Committee with North Carolina Lawyer Magazine05.13.2016
- Sharita Whitaker Offers Welcoming Remarks at the NCBA Minority Law Student and Attorney Meet and Greet10.31.2013
- Moderator, "A Stronger Workforce: The Business Case for Second Chance Employment, Part 2," hosted by the NC Chamber12.10.2020
- Panelist, "Millennials in the Workplace: A Cross-Generational Discussion," N.C. Chamber Women > A Force in Business Conference09.2017
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
North Carolina Central University, J.D., magna cum laude, 2010
- Member, Phi Alpha Delta Legal Fraternity
- Senior Editor for the NCCU School of Law Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Law Review
North Carolina State University, B.A., Public and Interpersonal Communication, summa cum laude, 2007