Mitch Armbruster practices in the areas of commercial and administrative litigation, with significant experience in appellate litigation. He has handled a wide variety of business disputes, administrative agency disputes, regulatory enforcement proceedings, public records disputes, and antitrust matters. He has tried cases in jury and non-jury settings and conducted hearings before various state administrative boards and the North Carolina Office of Administrative Hearings.
Mitch has also handled pro bono appeals for the state Guardian Ad Litem program. Before joining Smith Anderson, he served as a law clerk to the Honorable David B. Sentelle, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Washington, D.C.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Chair, Antitrust and Complex Business Disputes Section (2016-2017)
- Appellate Rules Committee
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, Commercial Litigation
- Wake County Bar Association
- Volunteer Appellate Advocate, North Carolina Guardian ad Litem Program
Honors & Awards
- Benchmark Litigation, North Carolina Litigation Star (2021)
- Best Lawyers®, Commercial Litigation (2015-2022)
- Editor in Chief, North Carolina Law Review, Vol. 77
- Successfully defended rezoning and approval of largest mixed-use planned development in North Carolina history against series of lawsuits seeking to overturn the rezoning and enjoin ongoing construction.
- Obtained $39 million damages award and declaration of common law vested rights for coastal development group, permitting the commercial development of 40 acre oceanfront parcel.
- Successfully defended large agricultural corporation against alleged violations of state pesticide laws and regulations.
- Litigation experience with state public records disputes, seeking production of public records. Also advised government agencies regarding handling of public records requests, compliance with N.C. Open Meetings Law, and conflict of interest laws.
- Obtained summary judgment for Medicaid claims processor on $20 million claim for failure to properly adjudicate claims.
- Successfully defended lawsuits arising from chemical release and industrial accident in eastern North Carolina for a global developer and manufacturer of pharmaceuticals.
- Obtained summary judgment in antitrust class action against national and international airlines asserting price-fixing in the setting of commissions.
News & Publications
- Smith Anderson Adds a Future Litigation Star to Its 2022 Benchmark Litigation Rankings with Eleven Attorneys HonoredBenchmark Litigation, 10.18.2021
- Mitch Armbruster Highlighted in Two News Stories on Pending Class-Action Lawsuit Against Insurance GiantWBTV and Charlotte Observer, 09.21.2021
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers, 08.19.2021
- Benchmark Litigation, 10.13.2020
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- Smith Anderson Client Files Bid Protest Against DPI on Reading Diagnostics Tool Contract for K-3 StudentsThe News & Observer, 06.28.2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- The Durham Herald-Sun, 12.22.2015
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Chapter 75 Case Updates, North Carolina Bar Association Antitrust and Trade Regulation Law Section Newsletter, Antitrust News05.2006
- Conspiracy Theories, Market Behavior and Plus Factors: Summary Judgment Granted For Airlines in Travel Agent Commission Class Action, ABA Section of Antitrust Law, Transportation Antitrust UpdateWinter 2004
- Co-Panelist, "Getting to the Core of Epic v. Apple," Campbell Law School, Raleigh, N.C.10.12.2021
- Proximity Hotel | Greensboro, N.C., 03.18.2015
- Speaker, "Protecting the Attorney-Client Privilege: They Can't Find Out What We Tell Our Lawyers, Can They?," Smith Anderson's Executive Roundtable Series - Session I, Research Triangle Park, N.C.02.2014
- Administrative Law
- Appellate Advocacy
- Complex Contract Disputes
- Corporate and Securities Litigation
- Government Contracting
- Government Relations
- Higher Education
- Insurance Regulation
- Land Use and Zoning
- Mass Tort and Catastrophic Loss
- OSHA and Workplace Safety
- Real Estate Development
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- All North Carolina State Courts
University of North Carolina, J.D., with honors, 1999
Cornell University, B.S. 1993
- Law Clerk to the Honorable David B. Sentelle, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Washington, D.C.