Mike works with companies on their corporate transactional activity, including mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, capital-raising financings, technology transactions and other mission critical matters.
He co-leads the firm’s Life Sciences and Chambers Global-rated AgTech industry practice groups, and often works with pharmaceutical, biotechnology, precision agriculture, medical device and animal health companies. Mike also regularly counsels entrepreneurial and closely-held businesses from start-up through growth stages in industries ranging from gaming to retail to technology.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Council for Entrepreneurial Development (CED)
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee (2015-2022)
- Secretary (2016-2022)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Past Director, Association for Corporate Growth, RTP Chapter
- Founding Director, National Association of Corporate Directors, RTP Chapter
- Past President, Temple Beth Or, Raleigh, NC
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice; Corporate Law; Mergers & Acquisitions Law; Securities/Capital Markets Law; Venture Capital Law (2010-2022)
- Best Lawyers®, "Lawyer of the Year," Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice (2015, 2019), Securities/Capital Markets Law (2020)
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2011-2021)
- Advised a EU-based clinical research organization in a definitive agreement to acquire the pharmacovigilance business from a global, listed healthcare services company for approximately $10,000,000 in cash.
- Represented a leading genome editing company dedicated to improving life in its $145.4 million initial public offering of 9,085,000 shares of common stock at a public offering price of $16.00 per share.
Lead counsel to a venture capital-funded genome editing company in a worldwide partnership, worth up to $1.6 billion, including an upfront payment of $105 million, with a global, publicly-traded pharmaceutical company to develop and commercialize allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T cell therapies for multiple cancers. The transaction was awarded the 2016 Life Science sector Deals of Distinction™ award by the Licensing Executives Society and was awarded the 2016 Collaboration Impact Deal of the Year: High Range by LMG Life Sciences.
- Advised a leading travel management company in a definitive agreement to acquire a corporate and leisure travel company.
- Represented a private ag biotech company in a $400 million sale to public ag bio company in a cash and milestone-based transaction.
- Advised leading global healthcare services company in acquisition of specialty laboratory and diagnostics products company.
- Represented second and third generation owners in sale of their interests in family-owned industrial company in structured finance transaction.
- Advised a leading healthcare services provider in the $60 million cash acquisition of a global sourcing company.
- Represented a drug development company in $60 million late stage venture capital raising preferred stock financing (largest such deal in the Southeast at the time).
- Represented the special board committee of portfolio company of large private equity fund in connection with financing transaction.
- Advised a global CRO business in the staged acquisition of the leading interactive response technology provider for $75 million in value.
Advised a leading CRO in Asia in the acquisition of CRO assets in the United States.
- Represents institutional investors in portfolio company financings, including seed financings of technology, life sciences and ag biotech companies.
- Represented a healthcare IT company in connection with $100 million bid for strategic target in auction process and in multiple other acquisitions.
- Advised a 100% Employee Stock Ownership Plan-owned company providing support services to the poultry industry in an acquisition by a private equity-backed buyer for approximately $21 million in cash and equity.
- Advised a private materials and recycling technology company in its purchase of certain assets of a maker of emission control catalytic materials for the global automotive industry.
- Represented a leading travel management company in multiple strategic acquisitions, including its purchase of the assets of a Canadian travel management company.
- Advised a global contract research organization in a definitive agreement to merge with a North American contract research organization.
- Advised a private scientific research, systems engineering, and design company in its purchase of a consulting firm.
- Represents a manufacturer dealer network in strategic acquisitions for cash and stock of family-owned businesses for expansion and consolidation of network.
- Represented a large contract research organization in strategic acquisition of global consulting firm.
- Represents ESOP companies and trustees in sell-side and buy-side transactions.
News & Publications
- Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognizes 98 Smith Anderson Attorneys in Latest PublicationBest Lawyers®, 08.18.2022
- Smith Anderson’s AgTech Practice Continues to Flourish - Recognized as a Chambers Global Market Leader for Third Consecutive YearChambers Global, 02.17.2022
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers, 08.19.2021
- Law.com International | Ally Law, 04.30.2021
- Chambers Global, 02.24.2021
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 23 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2021 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.15.2021
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Chambers Global, 02.14.2020
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 24 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2020 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.22.2020
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- Triangle Business Journal, 04.10.2019
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in 2019Super Lawyers, 01.24.2019
- Precision BioSciences Inks Strategic Collaboration with Gilead Sciences Valued at Up to $445 Million09.18.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- Smith Anderson Strengthens its National Technology Transactions Practice with the Addition of Darrell Fruth05.02.2018
- Smith Anderson Advises on Deals with Monsanto, Harvard for AgTech Company to Advance Innovation in Agriculture04.02.2018
- 2018 North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty-three Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.25.2018
- Triangle Business Journal, 11.28.2017
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- Super Lawyers, 01.20.2017
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- News & Observer, 11.17.2015
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- My Company Can be Sued Where?: Supreme Court Resolves Some Questions of Where Businesses May Be Sued for Patent Infringement but Leaves Others Unsettled08.28.2017Seed World
- Contributor, “Middle Market M&A: Handbook for Investment Banking and Business Consulting,” Wiley Finance, 2012
- Co-Presenter, "The Money Food Chain - Sources of Capital for New & Growing Businesses (A Lawyer's Perspective)," NCACPA's 80th Annual Symposium, Greensboro, N.C.11.20.2019
- Panelist, "Today's M&A Market: Private Company Exit Strategies and Opportunities," Raleigh, N.C.03.22.2019
- Speaker, "Hot Topic in the Agribusiness Sector," Ally Law's Americas Regional Conference, Montreal, Canada10.19.2018
- Speaker, “Agribusiness and the Agtech Sector,” Ally Law’s 2018 Annual Client Conference, London, U.K.06.01.2018
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
Emory University, J.D., 1989
Columbia University, A.B., 1984