Mike works with companies on their corporate transactional activity, including mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, capital-raising financings, technology transactions and other mission critical matters.
He co-leads the firm’s Life Sciences and AgTech industry practice groups, and often works with pharmaceutical, biotechnology, precision agriculture, medical device and animal health companies. Mike also regularly counsels entrepreneurial and closely-held businesses from start-up through growth stages in industries ranging from gaming to retail to technology.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Council for Entrepreneurial Development (CED)
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee (2015-Present)
- Secretary (2016-Present)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Past Director, Association for Corporate Growth, RTP Chapter
- Founding Director, National Association of Corporate Directors, RTP Chapter
- Past President, Temple Beth Or, Raleigh, NC
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice; Corporate Law; Mergers & Acquisitions Law; Securities/Capital Markets Law; Venture Capital Law (2010-2022)
- Best Lawyers®, "Lawyer of the Year," Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice (2015, 2019), Securities/Capital Markets Law (2020)
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2011-2021)
- Advised a EU-based clinical research organization in a definitive agreement to acquire the pharmacovigilance business from a global, listed healthcare services company for approximately $10,000,000 in cash.
- Represented a leading genome editing company dedicated to improving life in its $145.4 million initial public offering of 9,085,000 shares of common stock at a public offering price of $16.00 per share.
Lead counsel to a venture capital-funded genome editing company in a worldwide partnership, worth up to $1.6 billion, including an upfront payment of $105 million, with a global, publicly-traded pharmaceutical company to develop and commercialize allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T cell therapies for multiple cancers. The transaction was awarded the 2016 Life Science sector Deals of Distinction™ award by the Licensing Executives Society and was awarded the 2016 Collaboration Impact Deal of the Year: High Range by LMG Life Sciences.
- Represented a private ag biotech company in a $400 million sale to public ag bio company in a cash and milestone-based transaction.
- Advised leading global healthcare services company in acquisition of specialty laboratory and diagnostics products company.
- Represented second and third generation owners in sale of their interests in family-owned industrial company in structured finance transaction.
- Advised a leading healthcare services provider in the $60 million cash acquisition of a global sourcing company.
- Represented a drug development company in $60 million late stage venture capital raising preferred stock financing (largest such deal in the Southeast at the time).
- Represented the special board committee of portfolio company of large private equity fund in connection with financing transaction.
- Advised a global CRO business in the staged acquisition of the leading interactive response technology provider for $75 million in value.
Advised a leading CRO in Asia in the acquisition of CRO assets in the United States.
- Represents institutional investors in portfolio company financings, including seed financings of technology, life sciences and ag biotech companies.
- Represented a healthcare IT company in connection with $100 million bid for strategic target in auction process and in multiple other acquisitions.
- Advised a 100% Employee Stock Ownership Plan-owned company providing support services to the poultry industry in an acquisition by a private equity-backed buyer for approximately $21 million in cash and equity.
- Advised a private materials and recycling technology company in its purchase of certain assets of a maker of emission control catalytic materials for the global automotive industry.
- Represented a leading travel management company in multiple strategic acquisitions, including its purchase of the assets of a Canadian travel management company.
- Advised a global contract research organization in a definitive agreement to merge with a North American contract research organization.
- Advised a private scientific research, systems engineering, and design company in its purchase of a consulting firm.
- Represents a manufacturer dealer network in strategic acquisitions for cash and stock of family-owned businesses for expansion and consolidation of network.
- Represented a large contract research organization in strategic acquisition of global consulting firm.
- Represents ESOP companies and trustees in sell-side and buy-side transactions.
News & Publications
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers, 08.19.2021
- Law.com International | Ally Law, 04.30.2021
- Chambers Global, 02.24.2021
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 23 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2021 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.15.2021
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Chambers Global, 02.14.2020
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 24 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2020 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.22.2020
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- Triangle Business Journal, 04.10.2019
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in 2019Super Lawyers, 01.24.2019
- Precision BioSciences Inks Strategic Collaboration with Gilead Sciences Valued at Up to $445 Million09.18.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- Smith Anderson Strengthens its National Technology Transactions Practice with the Addition of Darrell Fruth05.02.2018
- Smith Anderson Advises on Deals with Monsanto, Harvard for AgTech Company to Advance Innovation in Agriculture04.02.2018
- 2018 North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty-three Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.25.2018
- Triangle Business Journal, 11.28.2017
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- Super Lawyers, 01.20.2017
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- My Company Can be Sued Where?: Supreme Court Resolves Some Questions of Where Businesses May Be Sued for Patent Infringement but Leaves Others Unsettled08.28.2017Seed World
- Contributor, “Middle Market M&A: Handbook for Investment Banking and Business Consulting,” Wiley Finance, 2012
- Co-Presenter, "The Money Food Chain - Sources of Capital for New & Growing Businesses (A Lawyer's Perspective)," NCACPA's 80th Annual Symposium, Greensboro, N.C.11.20.2019
- Panelist, "Today's M&A Market: Private Company Exit Strategies and Opportunities," Raleigh, N.C.03.22.2019
- Speaker, "Hot Topic in the Agribusiness Sector," Ally Law's Americas Regional Conference, Montreal, Canada10.19.2018
- Speaker, “Agribusiness and the Agtech Sector,” Ally Law’s 2018 Annual Client Conference, London, U.K.06.01.2018
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
Emory University, J.D., 1989
Columbia University, A.B., 1984