Joey Morris has over 30 years of complex litigation experience and co-leads Smith Anderson’s Intellectual Property practice group. He represents plaintiffs and defendants in intellectual property litigation matters throughout the country involving patent, copyright, trademark, publicity rights, trade dress, trade secrets and licensing issues.
His patent litigation experience includes pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, software, industrial machinery, building materials, and electronics. He has handled trademark litigation involving consumer products and packaging, real estate services, financial and health care consulting services, restaurant décor, and pop culture. His copyright litigation background includes photography, advertising logos, video games, websites, software, and technical manuals. He also has experience with consumer product advertising disputes, including proceedings before the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau.
Joey also represents clients in licensing and business transactions involving intellectual property assets, and he frequently provides our transactional lawyers with practical litigation-oriented solutions for managing intellectual property risks
He has earned praise from clients as “a highly experienced and outstanding attorney” whose work is “exceptional.” (Chambers USA). Clients value “his strategic thinking, his knowledge of the law, and his written advocacy.” (Chambers USA). They describe him as “a zealous and trustworthy advocate” who is “efficient and intelligent” and “easy to communicate with.” (Chambers USA).
Joey has served with notable success as post-conviction counsel for several North Carolina death row inmates. In 2003, he won a significant ruling that vacated his client’s death sentence and awarded his client a new trial due to prosecutorial misconduct that his post-conviction investigation brought to light. In 2004, he obtained an order vacating a client’s death sentence based upon compelling proof of the client’s mental disability which had not been presented at trial.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Joey practiced at an international law firm in Washington D.C.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
- North Carolina Bar Association, Intellectual Property and Litigation Sections
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Litigation - Patent, Litigation - Intellectual Property (2014-2022)
- Best Lawyers®, "Lawyer of the Year," Raleigh Litigation - Patent (2015, 2019)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers, Intellectual Property (2014-2022)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- Defended a manufacturer of pipe repair products against patent infringement claims asserted by a competitor.
- Represented a developer of automotive products in an action against a former distributor for breach of contract, trademark and trade dress infringement, false advertising, and unfair and deceptive trade practices.
- Represented a provider of deposit placement services in patent infringement litigation with a competitor.
- Represented an operator of a Duke University dining establishment against trademark infringement claims asserted by a previous dining establishment operator.
- Represented an agricultural products company in litigation to protect its intellectual property in genetically-modified seed from unauthorized use.
- Defended a manufacturer of industrial insulation products against patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation claims asserted by a competitor.
- Represented a public specialty pharmaceutical company in several patent infringement actions arising from competitor’s attempted launches of generic versions of non-Orange Book products.
- Represented a developer of ground-breaking DNA editing technology in patent infringement litigation against a competitor.
- Defended a seller of ADA-compliant tactile warning systems against patent infringement claims by a competitor.
- Defended a seller of consumer agricultural products in an advertising challenge brought by a competitor in the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau.
- North Carolina counsel for numerous leading pharmaceutical companies in patent infringement actions under the Hatch-Waxman Act.
- North Carolina counsel for internationally-known electronics manufacturers in patent infringement litigation.
- North Carolina counsel for a provider of online ticket sales services in patent litigation.
- Defended a leading online retailer of fine art and posters in copyright, trademark and publicity rights litigation matters.
- Defended a major research institute in litigation concerning ownership of intellectual property created in connection with consulting services.
- Defended a public specialty pharmaceutical company in litigation arising from acquisition of pharmaceutical product line.
- Defended a developer of video game software against copyright infringement claims asserted by a former licensor.
- Defended a leading online provider of real estate listing services against a magazine publisher's claims alleging copyright and trademark infringement.
- Represented a world-famous golf resort in litigation to protect the resort's trademark rights.
- Served as counsel for a major research university in licensing negotiations with pharmaceutical companies concerning monoclonal antibodies discovered by a university researcher.
- Defended a video game developer against copyright infringement claims concerning game artwork.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for two university researchers on copyright infringement claims against a university spin-out company formed to commercialize their anti-stuttering technology.
- Defended a leading developer of interactive voice response technology against a customer action seeking indemnification for an intellectual property infringement claim.
- Defended a major convenience store chain in trade dress litigation concerning fast food décor.
News & Publications
- Chambers USA, 06.03.2022
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers, 08.19.2021
- Smith Anderson Shines in 2021 Chambers USA with Most Band 1 Practice Rankings of Any NC-Based Law FirmChambers USA, 05.21.2021
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Chambers USA, 04.23.2020
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- Chambers USA, 04.29.2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- Chambers USA, 05.03.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- Chambers USA, 05.30.2017
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- Chambers USA, 06.01.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- My Company Can be Sued Where?: Supreme Court Resolves Some Questions of Where Businesses May Be Sued for Patent Infringement but Leaves Others Unsettled08.28.2017Seed World
- Supreme Court Considers Impact of TTAB "Likelihood of Confusion" Finding on Trademark Infringement Litigation02.25.2015
- U.S. Supreme Court Relaxes Standard For Prevailing Parties To Recover Attorneys’ Fees In Patent Infringement Litigation05.22.2014
- Fourth Circuit Clarifies the Role of the District Court in a Trademark Civil Action Following a Proceeding Before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board01.11.2014
- "IP: How to Protect Your Company," CED Accelerate Series, Research Triangle Park, N.C.06.24.2019
- Panelist, Patent Law and Patent Troll Legislation, Law360 Tweet Chat, February 12, 2015
- Protecting Proprietary Business Assets: Strategies to Safeguard Your Company, seminar at The Umstead, Cary, N.C., June 2013
- Social Media: How Your Company, Customers, Competitors, Shareholders and Others Are Using It and the Legal Pitfalls and Best Practices You Need to Know, Association of Corporate Counsel, Research Triangle Area Chapter, October 2012
- Defending the Castle: Procedure, Strategies and Practical Considerations for Enforcing Patents, 2012 Laws of Science Symposium, North Carolina Bar Association Intellectual Property Section, March 2012
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Duke University, J.D., with honors, 1988
Duke University, A.B., magna cum laude, 1985