Bart Norman practices corporate and commercial law and has broad experience in finance transactions and mergers and acquisitions of public and private companies. His finance experience includes syndicated and commercial loans, senior and subordinated debt offerings, mezzanine finance and financing for start-up and growth companies. He represents buyers and sellers in mergers and acquisitions and regularly counsels clients with regard to other complex commercial transactions.
Bart has been honored with recognition by clients and peers in such ranking publications as Chambers USA and North Carolina Super Lawyers. According to sources interviewed by Chambers USA on the quality of Bart’s service, he exhibits "great analysis, skill and judgment".
Bart is currently the co-leader of the Commercial team at Smith Anderson. Additionally, Bart is a member of Smith Anderson’s Management Committee and a co-chair of Smith Anderson’s Lawyer Development Committee.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Rise Against Hunger (founded as Stop Hunger Now)
- Immediate Past Chair, Board of Directors
- Member, Executive Committee
- Member, Finance Committee
- Member, White Memorial Presbyterian Church
- Transitions LifeCare (founded as Hospice of Wake County, 1979)
- Past Secretary, Board of Directors
- Past Chair, Governance Committee
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Staff of Hope
- Past Chair of the Finance Committee and Elder, Kirk of Kildaire Presbyterian Church
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers, Banking & Finance (2014-2022)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Star, Securities and Corporate Finance
- Represented a public contract research organization (with significant private equity ownership) in a series of syndicated loan financings and high yield note offerings, including in connection with its going-private transaction and subsequent IP; in a $1.95 billion senior secured credit facility and an $800 million senior notes offering; and in more than $5 billion of multicurrency senior secured revolving credit facilities, term loans and senior notes to finance a portion of an approximately $20 billion merger of equals.
- Represented a specialty pharmaceutical company in its $200 million senior secured credit facility.
- Represented one of the largest national food service distribution companies in the U.S. in a $80 million accounts receivable purchase program.
- Advised a sporting goods distributor in its acquisition of fishing and hunting goods and marine products inventory from secured lenders of another sporting goods distributor.
- Represented a food technology company in its accounts receivable purchase program.
- Represented a restaurant holding company and its affiliates in multiple acquisitions of franchised and non-franchised restaurants in multiple states.
- Advised a privately-held food processing technology company in an agreement to sell the assets of its two wholly-owned subsidiaries .
- Represented a wholesale sporting goods distribution company in its $165 million cross-border senior secured credit facility.
- Represented an agricultural manufacturer and its affiliates in a $248 million senior secured credit facility to finance working capital and acquisitions.
- Represented a multinational manufacturer and supplier to the papermaking industry in $280 million multi-currency senior secured credit facilities and $240 million senior notes offering.
- Represented a telecommunications company in leveraged buyout utilizing $363.9 million senior secured term loan facilities.
- Represented a holding company in dividend recapitalization utilizing a new $300 million senior secured term loan.
- Represented a medical products supplier in $350 million senior unsecured revolving credit facility.
- Represented a major convenience store chain in $480 million senior secured revolving and term loan credit facilities and $250 million senior notes offering for purpose of refinancing outstanding indebtedness including redemption of outstanding senior subordinated notes.
- Represented a clinical technology provider in going-private transaction utilizing $445 million senior secured credit facilities and $250 million senior notes offering.
- Represented a special purpose entity in $250 million royalty stream monetization.
- Represented a publicly-traded specialty pharmaceutical company in $60 million secured term loan.
- Represented a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in connection with a $275 million accounts receivables purchase program.
News & Publications
- Chambers USA, 06.03.2022
- Smith Anderson Shines in 2021 Chambers USA with Most Band 1 Practice Rankings of Any NC-Based Law FirmChambers USA, 05.21.2021
- Chambers USA, 04.23.2020
- Chambers USA, 04.29.2019
- Chambers USA, 05.03.2018
- Chambers USA, 05.30.2017
- Chambers USA, 06.01.2016
- Speaker, Accessing the Debt Markets, VACO Raleigh's Continuing Professional Education Series, Raleigh, NC, March 24, 2014
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
University of North Carolina, J.D., with honors, 2002
Princeton Theological Seminary, M.Div., 1999
North Carolina State University, B.A., cum laude, English, 1994