Mary Pat Sullivan joined Smith Anderson in September 2012. Her practice focuses on life sciences, technology contracting and licensing, and information privacy and security.
Mary Pat regularly advises life sciences and technology clients, including in connection with patent and technology licensing, research and development collaborations, supply and distribution arrangements, and other strategic transactions. Mary Pat also advises clients on information privacy matters, including compliance with federal and state data privacy laws and data breach responses.
Areas of Focus
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch®
- Technology Law (2021-2024)
- Corporate Law (2022-2024)
- Health Care Law (2024)
- Intellectual Property Law (2024)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2022)
- Elected, Order of the Coif, University of North Carolina
- Staff Member, North Carolina Law Review, 2010-2011
- University of North Carolina, J.D., with high honors, 2012
- Order of the Coif
- Wofford College, B.A., 2007
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Past Member, Board of Directors, New Leaf Behavioral Health
- Represented a venture capital-funded genome editing company in a worldwide partnership, worth up to $1.6 billion, including an upfront payment of $105 million, with a global, publicly-traded pharmaceutical company to develop and commercialize allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T cell therapies for multiple cancers. The transaction was awarded the 2016 Life Science sector Deals of Distinction™ award by the Licensing Executives Society.
- Advised the majority owner of a leading provider of retail staffing services in a definitive agreement to sell his interest to the company in a management buyout.
- Represented multiple pharmaceutical companies in negotiating clinical and commercial supply agreements.
- Represented a biotechnology company focused on discovery of complex traits for improving intrinsic yield in multiple research collaborations and commercial partnerships with agricultural biotechnology companies.
- Represented multiple pharmaceutical companies in multiple out-licenses of pharmaceutical products for therapeutic areas ranging from oncology to CNS.
- Represented a global specialty pharmaceutical company in negotiation of a distribution agreement.
- Represented a venture capital-funded biotechnology company in negotiation of a development and clinical supply agreement for a nanotechnology-derived pharmaceutical product.
- Represented a biotechnology company in the negotiation of a production and supply agreement for its lead product, a shelf-stable bioengineered blood vessel for use in dialysis patients.
- Represented a leading provider of pharmacy-based patient care solutions and medication synchronization services to independent and chain pharmacies in its approximately $41 million sale of the company to a publicly traded buyer.
- Advised a private materials and recycling technology company in an agreement to acquire assets from a leading supplier of high performance catalysts for $27 million in cash plus potential additional amounts via an earnout.
- Advised clients on privacy and data security matters involving HIPAA, the HITECH Act, COPPA, Section 5 of the FTC Act, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, FERPA, and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act.
- Drafted HIPAA privacy and security policies and procedures for covered entity and business associate clients.
- Advised companies on data breach responses and investigations in the manufacturing, health care, information technology, and financial services industries, including obligations to notify affected individuals and state and federal regulators.
- NewsSmith Anderson Achieves All Time Highs for Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Three Categories
- RecognitionBest Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognizes 98 Smith Anderson Attorneys in Latest Publication
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects Largest Class of “Rising Stars” in Firm’s Recent History – 32 Lawyers Recognized in All!
- Smith Anderson Achieves All Time Highs for Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Three CategoriesBest Lawyers®News
- Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognizes 98 Smith Anderson Attorneys in Latest PublicationBest Lawyers®Recognition
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects Largest Class of “Rising Stars” in Firm’s Recent History – 32 Lawyers Recognized in All!Super Lawyers
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®
- Precision BioSciences Inks Strategic Collaboration with Gilead Sciences Valued at Up to $445 Million
- Smith Anderson Strengthens its National Technology Transactions Practice with the Addition of Darrell Fruth
Publications & Alerts
- Long-Term Suspensions and the Right to an Education: An Alternative Approach, 90 N.C. L. REV. 293 (2011)
- Alicia Gilleskie and Mary Pat Sullivan
Events & Programming
- Co-Speaker, "The Intellectual Property Year in Review: Trade Secrets," NCBA Intellectual Property: Ready for the New Decade CLE, Charlotte, N.C.Speaking Engagement