Phil Cardinale is a member of the firm’s Technology practice group. Phil advises technology-centric companies in all phases of growth on the management, development, commercialization and protection of their intellectual property and technology assets and assists on licensing and other strategic transactions, as well as with issues relating to privacy and data security. As part of his practice, Phil helps clients with the preparation and negotiation of the full range of technology and commercial contracts commonly encountered by technology clients. Phil’s industry experience has involved retail, telecommunications, software and start-up companies, as well as numerous creative-sector clients, including in the fields of fashion, entertainment, gaming, music, and furniture design.
Phil has broad experience in intellectual property rights acquisition, litigation and counseling in matters focusing on trademark, trade dress, copyright, privacy/publicity rights, e-commerce, social media and design law, as well as transactions involving these rights. He has been recognized with leadership positions in several intellectual property and technology-related professional organizations, including as an American Bar Association Liaison to the World Intellectual Property Organization, a specialized agency of the United Nations. He is also recognized by the North Carolina State Bar as a Board Certified Specialist in Trademark Law.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Phil practiced in the intellectual property group of a national law firm in Washington, DC. He is also a former print journalist and college teacher, has a doctorate in English Literature from the University of Oxford, and has published academic articles in several fields.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Liaison, World Intellectual Property Organization, SCCR (2012-Present)
- Vice Chair, Trademark Litigation Committee (2019-Present)
- Past Chair, Copyright Office Affairs Committee (2017-2019)
- Past Chair, Copyright and Emerging Technologies Committee (2010-2012)
- International Trademark Association
- Internet Committee (2019-Present)
- Copyright Committee (2016-2019)
- The Counsellors (Washington, DC)
- Board of Directors
- President (2018-2019)
- Other Officer Positions (2015-2018)
- The Cinema, Inc. (Raleigh, NC)
- Board Member / Historian
- Member, Rotary Club of Raleigh
- Y Guides, Chief - The Boys Named Sioux (2019-Present)
- North Carolina Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Leadership Award, American Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Section
- Burton Award for Excellence in Legal Writing
- Assisted a multinational Fortune 50 telecommunications company in negotiating and drafting a collaboration agreement for the creation of a video game service and related content.
- Assisted numerous Fortune 50 international retailers in the creation of product development and intellectual property clearance protocols and related risk management and licensing strategies.
- Advised various companies on the creation and maintenance of a broad array of master services agreements and intellectual property licenses.
- Advised a national travel company in its acquisition of a restaurant chain and subsequent rebranding strategies.
- Advised a semiconductor and LED company on the divestiture of its lighting products business unit for an initial cash payment of $225 million plus the potential to receive an earn-out payment based on the business’s post-closing performance.
- Counseled start-up companies on best practices for developing and commercializing their intellectual property and establishing protocols to protect trade secrets.
- Litigated on behalf of major U.S. corporations before the judiciary and several federal agencies, including the Trademark Trial Appeal Board, Copyright Royalty Board, and International Trade Commission, on intellectual property and technology issues.
- Monitored legislative and regulatory developments relating to intellectual property, data privacy and Internet governance, and advised clients on government relations and compliance on these issues.
- Assisted several global fashion retailers in international copyright, trademark, publicity rights, product design and domain rights enforcements.
- Represented international non-profit organizations in the creation and implementation of policies and strategies relating to intellectual property, asset management, co-ventures and trademark and copyright licensing.
News & Publications
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- District of Columbia
- New York
- New Jersey
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
George Washington University, J.D., 2007
University of Oxford, Ph.D. (2004), M.A., English, with highest honors (2000)
Georgetown University, B.A., Classics, cum laude, 1996