Ed Roche joined Smith Anderson’s Litigation practice group in 2019. He has experience in general business litigation spanning a variety of substantive areas of law, and has advised clients in a wide range of industry sectors including technology, health care, insurance, financial services, energy, media government, universities and non-profits.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Ed was an attorney in the Washington, D.C. office of a global law firm.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- British-American Business Council, Triangle Chapter
Honors & Awards
Editor in Chief, North Carolina Law Review
Litigation experience Ed gained prior to joining Smith Anderson:
- Defended directors against shareholder derivative actions alleging securities violations, breaches of fiduciary duties and various related claims in state and federal courts.
- Represented mutual fund advisors against claims of excessive fees.
- Advised a university on potential antitrust dispute concerning the competitive opportunities open to the university’s athletic program.
- Represented multinational technology companies responding to regulators’ allegations of antitrust violations.
- Provided advice on First Amendment arguments for a news website to raise in appealing trial verdicts obtained by a public figure based on the website’s news report.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in an investigation launched in response to a federal government subpoena seeking information on compliance with Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Served as counsel to the American Bar Association and individual plaintiffs in a lawsuit against the Department of Education, challenging the department’s conduct in relation to the Public Interest Loan Forgiveness Program.
- Wrote briefs and delivered arguments to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit on behalf of a federal habeas petitioner.
- Represented a voting rights organization litigating constitutional and statutory civil rights claims in federal court to stop a state preventing access to public voter registration records.
- Coordinated nationwide litigation efforts to assist detained immigrants.
News & Publications
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- 12.18.2020Published by LAW.COM
- 10.08.2020Published by LAW.COM
- 08.06.2020Published by LAW.COM
- 06.11.2020Published by LAW.COM
- 04.20.2020Published by LAW.COM
- 12.16.2019Published by The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press
- 12.12.2019Published by LAW.COM
- 10.15.2019Published by LAW.COM
- Federal Court Upholds Rules Prohibiting the Practice of Law by Corporations – Rejecting Attempt by Trade Association to Represent Its Members06.05.2019
- Author, “Due Process by Proxy: United States v. Brehm and the Problem of Extraterritorial Jurisdiction Over Foreign Nationals,” 91 North Carolina Law Review 1463 (2013)
- Author, “Acts, Acquiescence, and Asylum: The Material Support Bar Under Barahona v. Holder,” 92 North Carolina Law Review 316 (2014)
- Co-Presenter, "Where Can We Be Sued? The Evolving Landscape of Personal Jurisdiction," Webinar hosted by CELESQ12.03.2020
- Presenter, "Becoming an Attorney: From High School to Law School and Beyond," College Readiness Seminar Series Presented by VT Seva10.10.2020
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- North Carolina
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- University of North Carolina, J.D., with high honors, 2014
- Order of the Coif
- University of Oxford, Worcester College, B.A., Law, 2007
- Law Clerk to The Honorable Julia S. Gibbons, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit