William “Casey” Vaughn joined Smith Anderson in 2018 as an associate in the Construction and Litigation practice groups. Casey represents contractors, owners, developers, sureties and design professionals in a variety of disputes and construction related matters.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Casey was an associate in the Dallas office of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP, where he worked on a wide range of complex commercial and construction disputes, including domestic and international arbitrations, multi-district class action litigation, regulatory investigations and antitrust disputes.
NOT ADMITTED TO PRACTICE IN NORTH CAROLINA.
Honors & Awards
- Member, Texas Law Review
- Recipient, Dean’s Achievement Award – Outstanding Student in Construction Law, Fall 2011
Select experience includes:*
- Defended an engineering, procurement and construction joint venture against allegations of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty in a multi-billion dollar dispute arising out of one of the largest construction projects in North America, resulting in a take-nothing award in favor of the defense after a month-long arbitration.
- Represented a buyer of mid-stream operating plants and related pipelines asserting breach of warranty claims against the seller, resulting in a favorable settlement on the eve of arbitration.
- Conducted an internal investigation into allegations of fraud and misconduct on behalf a national retirement plan provider.
- Defended a non-profit against claims of fraud and breach of warranty, resulting in summary judgment in favor of the defendant.
- Defended trade associations and individual defendants against antitrust claims asserting violations of 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act, resulting in a favorable settlement.
*Includes matters handled prior to joining Smith Anderson
Bar & Court Admissions
- Northern District of Texas
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with honors, 2013
- Order of the Coif
- University of North Carolina, B.A. in Peace, War & Defense and Political Science, with Honors and Distinction, 2010
- Phi Beta Kappa