James is an associate in the Corporate group. He practices in the areas of securities law, corporate law and mergers and acquisitions.
After law school James clerked for the Honorable William L. Osteen, Jr., Chief Judge for the Middle District of North Carolina.
While attending the University of North Carolina School of Law, James served as Director of the UNC Law Pro Bono Program and as a Comment Editor of the North Carolina Law Review.
Prior to law school, James taught high school social studies for three years in Wake County, North Carolina.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Member, North Carolina Bar Association
- Member, North Carolina Bar Foundation, NC Free Legal Answers Taskforce
- Vice Chair and Secretary, Board of Directors, Activate Good
- Member, Smith Anderson Community Fund
- Member and Past Chair, UNC Law Pro Bono Alumni Board
- Member, Edenton Street United Methodist Church, Raleigh
Honors & Awards
- Member, Order of the Golden Fleece
- Member, James E. and Carolyn B. Davis Society at UNC Law
- Advised a multinational Fortune 500 provider of product development and integrated healthcare services in its merger with a NYSE-listed global information and technology services company, creating a leading information and tech-enabled healthcare service provider. The equity market capitalization of the joined companies was more than $17.6 billion at closing.
- Advised a company in the sale of its contract drug manufacturing organization business for approximately $12 million in cash.
- Advised an investment company in a definitive agreement to purchase the outstanding equity interests of the largest independent blender and packager of lubricants to the automotive, agriculture, commercial and heavy duty markets in North America.
- Advised a specialty pharmaceutical company in the sale of a subsidiary to and its investment in a privately held specialty pharmaceutical company.
- Advised a UK-based drug development services organization in its acquisition of an expert clinical pharmacology business.
- Advised a private equity-backed medical device repair services company in the sale of its wholly-owned operating subsidiaries to a strategic buyer operating in the medical device repair services industry.
- Advised a leading provider of financial software and information products to U.S. financial institutions in a reverse triangular merger with a private equity-backed company.
- Advises NYSE- and NASDAQ-listed public companies in various industries with respect to public disclosure and securities law compliance matters, NYSE and NASDAQ listing requirements, corporate governance, and general corporate matters.
Advised pharmaceutical solutions company in the purchase of certain assets for the operation of a non-commercial dispensing pharmacy.
- Advised a leading provider of drone technology for the enterprise in the purchase of substantially all assets of a provider of analytics tools and machine vision software for renewable energy.
- Advised a leading provider of drone technology for the enterprise in the purchase of substantially all assets of a drone service provider focused on critical infrastructure inspections.
- Advised a leading provider of drone technology for the enterprise in the purchase of substantially all assets of a provider of turnkey inspection services for construction, building information management (BIM) and real estate.
- Advised a supplier of Grade A conventional and organic frozen fruits and vegetables in the purchase of certain assets of a global food distributor.
News & Publications
- NC Lawyers Weekly, 01.25.2018
- Speaker, "UNC School of Law Pro Bono Program 20th Anniversary Celebration," UNC School of Law, Chapel Hill, N.C.09.2017
- Co-Presenter, “Preparing for the Upcoming 10-K and Proxy Season,” Securities Breakfast Law Series, N.C. Biotechnology Center, Durham, N.C. and Smith Anderson Offices, Raleigh, N.C.11.2016
University of North Carolina, J.D., with high honors, 2014
- Order of the Coif
Wake Forest University, M.A., Education, 2008
University of North Carolina, B.A., with highest distinction, 2007
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Dean's List (eight semesters)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable William L. Osteen, Jr., Chief Judge for the Middle District of North Carolina