Dana Simpson co-chairs the Government Relations practice at Smith Anderson and regularly represents clients before the North Carolina General Assembly and with State agencies.
Dana advises clients regarding legislative and regulatory advocacy, public relations, issues management, economic development initiatives, ethics, and campaign finance law compliance. Dana has been consistently rated one of the "Most Influential" lobbyists in North Carolina by the nonpartisan N.C. Center for Public Policy Research, including previously being rated the number one "Most Influential."
Prior to law school, Dana served as Special Assistant for Communications and Policy to the Speaker of the North Carolina House of Representatives.
Dana also has experience representing clients on rule-making and administrative law matters. He served as a member of the North Carolina Rules Review Commission from 2003-2006.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- University of North Carolina General Alumni Association (Board of Directors)
- University of North Carolina School of Government Foundation (President of Board of Directors)
- St. David's School (Board of Advisors)
- University of North Carolina School of Law Alumni Association (Board of Directors; 2016-2018)
- Alliance Medical Ministry (Chair and Board of Directors; 2007-2016)
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Government Relations Practice (2009-2020)
- Named Number One "Most Influential" Lobbyist in North Carolina, N.C. Center for Public Policy Research
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Star, Government Relations (2010-2013)
- North Carolina Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Recipient of the Triangle Business Journal's 2012 "40 Under 40" Leadership Award
- Recipient of the Governor's School Foundation's 2017 Jim Hart Award
News & Publications
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Recognizes 62 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.15.2016
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America© Guide Lists 60 Smith Anderson Lawyers – Most in the Firm’s History08.17.2015
- Dana Simpson Featured in Carolina Law Magazine for his influence on Law and Policy in North Carolina12.30.2013
- Dana Simpson Appointed to Board of Directors for the University of North Carolina General Alumni Association05.30.2013
- Smith Anderson Announces 49 of its Firm Lawyers are Named a “Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America® 201308.29.2012
- Smith Anderson’s Dana Simpson Recognized as a 2012 “40 Under 40” Award Winner by Triangle Business Journal05.02.2012