Charles Kabugo-Musoke joined Smith Anderson in September 2012. His practice focuses on the areas of corporate and syndicated finance, banking and regulatory matters, mergers and acquisitions, and complex commercial transactions. Charles has experience with corporate and finance transactions involving public and private companies, including syndicated and commercial loans, senior and subordinated debt offerings, mezzanine finance, and other debt and equity investments.
In addition, Charles has experience representing banks and other financial institutions in connection with regulatory matters before the Federal Reserve, FDIC, N.C. Office of the Commissioner of Banks and other regulatory agencies.
Charles has been honored with recognition by clients and peers in such ranking publications as North Carolina Super Lawyers. Additionally, Charles remains active in professional and volunteer activities, including the Board of Directors of Transitions LifeCare (founded as Hospice of Wake County in 1979) and Smith Anderson's Recruiting Committee.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Transitions LifeCare (founded as Hospice of Wake County in 1979)
- Treasurer, Board of Directors, 2019-Present
- Member, Board of Directors, 2018-Present
- UNC School of Law for Banking and Finance
- Member, Board of Advisors, 2011-2013
- Rotary Club of Raleigh
- Member, 2018-2020
- Wake County Bar Association
- Smith Anderson
- Recruiting Committee, 2020-Present
- Associate Committee, 2015-2019
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, "Ones to Watch," Banking and Finance Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2021)
- Editor in Chief, North Carolina Banking Institute Journal
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Stars (2018-2020)
- Represented a Nasdaq-listed bank holding company in a public offering of subordinated notes for aggregate proceeds of $350 million.
- Represented a Nasdaq-listed bank holding company in a public offering of depositary shares representing interests in preferred stock for aggregate proceeds of $345 million.
- Represented a North Carolina bank and its parent on an approximately $220 million merger with another bank, which offered a higher price than the bank’s existing merger agreement with another company.
Advised a building supply company in the acquisition of a majority of the outstanding membership interests of a siding, roofing and decking installation company.
Advised a specialty pharmaceutical company in its acquisition of a private pharmaceutical company focusing on pediatric medications.
- Advised a bank in a $5,750,000 financing supporting a sponsor-backed acquisition of a short haul freight.
- Advised a bank in a $2,359,900 financing of a search fund’s acquisition of a provider of healthcare analytics solutions.
- Represented financial institutions in connection with various lending matters, including credit facilities, commercial lending, mezzanine financing, bond transactions, letters of credit and commercial real estate.
- Represented a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in connection with a $275 million accounts receivable securitization program.
- Represented a wholesale sporting goods distribution company in its $165 million cross-border senior secured credit facility.
- Advised a private equity fund on the acquisition, equity and debt financing of a reference laboratory.
- Represented a major regional distributor of industrial gases in a strategic merger of equals of two similarly situated businesses.
- Represented multiple publicly traded business development companies in connection with various debt and equity investments.
- Represented banking clients in connection with regulatory matters related to capital transactions, merger transactions and joint ventures before the Federal Reserve, FDIC, N.C. Office of the Commissioner of Banks and other regulatory agencies.
- Represented derivatives markets participants in connection with formulating their regulatory compliance efforts under the Dodd-Frank Act.
- Represented a provider of crowdfunding services in connection with various mortgage lending activities.
- Represented a global provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in its $1.1 billion initial public offering and listing on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Represented a global biopharmaceutical services company in $2.225 billion senior secured revolving and term loan credit facilities, and subsequent $250 million term loan and revolving credit facility add-on transaction and repricing amendments.
- Advised a publicly traded health information technologies and clinical research company in its acquisition of a consulting business focusing on orphan drug designations.
- Advised a global supplier of chemical and slurry delivery equipment in an agreement to sell all of its issued and outstanding common stock to a process and mechanical contractor.
- Advised a leading global information provider in its worldwide corporate and financing restructuring.
- Represented SBICs and BDCs.
News & Publications
- The Deal | American Banker | Law360, 10.16.2020
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® Selects 24 Smith Anderson Lawyers as 2020 Super Lawyers and Nine Additional Lawyers as Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.22.2020
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in 2019Super Lawyers, 01.24.2019
- 2018 North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty-three Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.25.2018
- A Wal-Mart-Owned ILC: Why Congress Should Give the Green Light, 15 N.C. Banking Inst. 393 (2011).
- Panelist, "Practicing Law in Raleigh - An Insider's Perspective," University of North Carolina School of Law, Raleigh, N.C.06.2018
- Presenter, "Security Interests and Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code," Debt Finance Basics Course, Raleigh, N.C.04.2016
- Speaker, "Becoming a Professional," Retreat at the University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, N.C.01.2015
- Panelist, "Becoming a Professional: Diversity in the Workplace," University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, N.C.04.2014