Addie Ries is a litigation attorney who focuses her practice on toxic tort, products liability, mass tort, and negligence cases involving catastrophic personal injury, wrongful death, and property damage. Versed in the nationwide landscape and science of asbestos, benzene, PFAS, and other toxic tort litigation, she regularly serves as primary counsel and national counsel defending her clients against cases filed as individual actions, class actions, and as part of massive multidistrict litigation (MDL). Addie also has significant experience in breach of contract disputes, corporate governance/shareholder litigation, and franchise disputes. She has represented clients from a broad range of industries, including the aviation, automotive, chemical, financial, hospitality, pharmaceutical/medical device, manufacturing, real estate, utilities, professional sports, and transportation industries.
Addie has represented clients in such litigation matters through jury and bench trials before state and federal courts in North Carolina, South Carolina, and other jurisdictions nationwide. She has also appeared before the American Arbitration Association in national and international arbitration matters.
Addie is dedicated to meeting her clients’ needs with experience and efficiency. In addition to vigorously defending her clients’ interests in litigation, she regularly counsels clients in anticipating and resolving disputes before they reach litigation.
Based on reviews from her peers, Addie has been honored by The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation and awarded an "AV Preeminent" rating in Litigation, Commercial Law, and Aviation and Aerospace by Martindale Hubbell. She enjoys serving her profession and her community and previously served on the Board of Directors for Children’s Flight of Hope and currently serves on the North Carolina Bar Association’s Litigation Section Council.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association, Litigation Council
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Vice Chair, Products Liability Group
- Past Member, Diversity Committee
- Legal Aid of North Carolina, Volunteer Lawyers Program
- American Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Commercial Litigation (2019-2022), Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (2022)
- Benchmark Litigation, North Carolina Future Star (2022)
- Benchmark Litigation, Top 250 Women in Litigation (2022)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2016-2018)
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV Preeminent" rated in Litigation, Commercial Law, and Aviation and Aerospace
- N.C. Journal of Law and Technology, Editorial Board
- University of North Carolina Chapter of The Order of the Coif
- Defense of national manufacturers/retailers of asbestos-containing products in toxic tort suits, including successful representation through trial and Daubert motions and hearings.
- Defense of national retailer of wood products in toxic tort litigation involving claims of sino-nasal cancer from exposure to wood dust.
- Defense of national chemical company in toxic tort litigation involving claims of leukemia from exposure to benzene-containing solvents.
- Defense of global manufacturer in multidistrict litigation (MDL) involving claims of alleged personal injuries, property damage, and environmental contamination from alleged release of PFAS compounds.
- Defense of large corporations against product liability claims involving motor vehicles, pharmaceutical products, and medical and surgical devices.
- Defense of a closely-held corporation and its shareholders in a shareholder derivative lawsuit through a multi-week bench trial before the North Carolina Business Court.
- Defense of an international business and its founder before numerous federal and state courts, as well as arbitration, in suits arising out of the business break-up of a North Carolina company.
- Defense of motor vehicle manufacturers in a variety of franchise disputes before the North Carolina Commissioner of Motor Vehicles and North Carolina courts.
- Defense of a publicly-traded company in a series of complex breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, negligent misrepresentation, and unfair and deceptive trade practices cases.
- Defense of a franchised restaurant and its president through a multi-week jury trial in a premises liability/inadequate security case.
- Defense of aviation and trucking carriers against negligence-based claims for personal injuries and wrongful death.
- Defense of companies and individuals in professional malpractice cases involving alleged medical malpractice, legal malpractice and real estate appraisal malpractice.
- Representation of a wide variety of businesses as plaintiffs and defendants in breach of contract, fraud and unfair trade practices cases before the North Carolina Business Court and other state and federal courts.
- Represented commercial landlord in response to allegations of mold contamination.
News & Publications
- Benchmark Litigation Recognizes Kerry Shad & Addie Ries in International Top 250 Women in Litigation GuideBenchmark Litigation, 08.05.2022
- Smith Anderson Adds a Future Litigation Star to Its 2022 Benchmark Litigation Rankings with Eleven Attorneys HonoredBenchmark Litigation, 10.18.2021
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers, 08.19.2021
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- Smith Anderson Joins Client Ford Motor Company’s Legal Alliance for Women in a Global Day of Service09.26.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- 2018 North Carolina Super Lawyers Recognizes Forty-three Smith Anderson Lawyers as Super Lawyers and Rising StarsSuper Lawyers, 01.25.2018
- Super Lawyers, 01.20.2017
Bar & Court Admissions
- All North Carolina State Courts
- All South Carolina State Courts
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth and Seventh Circuit
University of North Carolina, J.D., 2003
- Order of the Coif
University of Georgia, B.A., cum laude, 2000