Blake Simpson Fricks joined Smith Anderson in October 2007. Prior to attending law school at the University of North Carolina, she served as a fundraiser for Erskine Bowles’ United States Senate campaign. Blake concentrates her practice on corporate and intellectual property law.
Areas of Focus
- Best Lawyers®, Litigation – Intellectual Property (2022-2024)
- University of North Carolina, J.D., with high honors, 2007
- Order of the Coif
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, BA, Political Science, 2003
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Appointed Member, North Carolina Child Care Commission (2014-Present)
- Member, Development Team, Neighbor to Neighbor (2013-Present)
- Director of Development, Neighbor to Neighbor (2012-2013)
- Member, Student Ministries Committee, Holy Trinity Church
• Assist dozens of companies with the full range of legal services necessary to establish and maintain a strong lasting mark, including advice and assistance with mark adoption and selection, providing counseling on what the law (and marketing research) recognizes as inherently strong marks, conducting availability analysis (including infringement analysis with respect to pre-existing trademark rights of others), local and international registration of marks, enforcement of trademark, service marks and trade dress rights and maintenance of such rights.
• 10 years of experience prosecuting trademark, service mark and copyright registration applications before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the Copyright Office, and internationally.
• Represent clients in connection with trademark opposition proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
• Regularly advise on infringement matters, including trademark, trade name, publicity rights, copyrights and domain names. Provides strategic advice to clients in connection with infringement matters and negotiates resolutions (most often without the need for litigation).
• Assist clients with management and maintenance of international trademark portfolios.
• Assist clients with preparing and negotiating Consent Agreements, Co-Existent Agreements, Trademark and Service Mark License Agreements (including intra-company agreements) and other commercial agreements in connection with monetizing intellectual property assets.
• Regularly work with foreign counsel worldwide to manage our clients’ international trademark portfolios. Excellent legal contacts and established working relationships with trademark counsel in Canada, Mexico, Asia, South America, Europe and other countries. Experience overseeing the worldwide management of trademark portfolios for numerous clients.
• Assist public company client with trademark infringement, counterfeiting and other violations of intellectual property rights in China, including managing and overseeing local counsel.
• Represent beverage company on trademark matters associated with establishing and creating new brands.
• Represent a world famous golf resort on all trademark matters.
- NewsSmith Anderson Achieves All Time Highs for Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Three Categories
- RecognitionBest Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognizes 98 Smith Anderson Attorneys in Latest Publication
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch
- Smith Anderson Achieves All Time Highs for Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers® in Three CategoriesBest Lawyers®News
- Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognizes 98 Smith Anderson Attorneys in Latest PublicationBest Lawyers®Recognition
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers
- Blake Simpson Fricks Profiled in Walter Magazine for her Role as Director of Development for Neighbor to Neighbor
- Blake Simpson Fricks and Kelli Ovies Present Trademark Law Class at University of North Carolina School of Law