Mary Pat Sullivan joined Smith Anderson in September 2012. Her practice focuses on life sciences, technology contracting and licensing, and information privacy and security.
Mary Pat regularly advises life sciences and technology clients, including in connection with patent and technology licensing, research and development collaborations, supply and distribution arrangements, and other strategic transactions. Mary Pat also advises clients on information privacy matters, including compliance with federal and state data privacy laws and data breach responses.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Past Member, Board of Directors, New Leaf Behavioral Health
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, "Ones to Watch," Technology Law (2021-2022), Corporate Law (2022)
- Elected, Order of the Coif, University of North Carolina
- Staff Member, North Carolina Law Review, 2010-2011
- Represented a venture capital-funded genome editing company in a worldwide partnership, worth up to $1.6 billion, including an upfront payment of $105 million, with a global, publicly-traded pharmaceutical company to develop and commercialize allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T cell therapies for multiple cancers. The transaction was awarded the 2016 Life Science sector Deals of Distinction™ award by the Licensing Executives Society.
- Represented multiple pharmaceutical companies in negotiating clinical and commercial supply agreements.
- Represented a biotechnology company focused on discovery of complex traits for improving intrinsic yield in multiple research collaborations and commercial partnerships with agricultural biotechnology companies.
- Represented multiple pharmaceutical companies in multiple out-licenses of pharmaceutical products for therapeutic areas ranging from oncology to CNS.
- Represented a global specialty pharmaceutical company in negotiation of a distribution agreement.
- Represented a venture capital-funded biotechnology company in negotiation of a development and clinical supply agreement for a nanotechnology-derived pharmaceutical product.
- Represented a biotechnology company in the negotiation of a production and supply agreement for its lead product, a shelf-stable bioengineered blood vessel for use in dialysis patients.
- Represented a leading provider of pharmacy-based patient care solutions and medication synchronization services to independent and chain pharmacies in its approximately $41 million sale of the company to a publicly traded buyer.
- Advised a private materials and recycling technology company in an agreement to acquire assets from a leading supplier of high performance catalysts for $27 million in cash plus potential additional amounts via an earnout.
- Advised clients on privacy and data security matters involving HIPAA, the HITECH Act, COPPA, Section 5 of the FTC Act, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, FERPA, and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act.
- Drafted HIPAA privacy and security policies and procedures for covered entity and business associate clients.
- Advised companies on data breach responses and investigations in the manufacturing, health care, information technology, and financial services industries, including obligations to notify affected individuals and state and federal regulators.
News & Publications
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Precision BioSciences Inks Strategic Collaboration with Gilead Sciences Valued at Up to $445 Million09.18.2018
- Smith Anderson Strengthens its National Technology Transactions Practice with the Addition of Darrell Fruth05.02.2018
- 11.27.2013Alicia Gilleskie and Mary Pat Sullivan
- Long-Term Suspensions and the Right to an Education: An Alternative Approach, 90 N.C. L. REV. 293 (2011)
- Co-Speaker, "The Intellectual Property Year in Review: Trade Secrets," NCBA Intellectual Property: Ready for the New Decade CLE, Charlotte, N.C.04.05.2019
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
University of North Carolina, J.D., with high honors, 2012
- Order of the Coif
Wofford College, B.A., 2007