Susan Parrott has extensive experience in identifying and managing employment-related issues in mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations. She is frequently called upon to develop and interpret employment, non-competition, confidentiality, and severance agreements. In addition, she routinely advises clients on wage and hour matters, and assists in conducting internal compliance audits and responding to Department of Labor investigations.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Personnel Committee, Past Member
- North Carolina State Bar
- Board of Continuing Legal Education, Past Member
- Wake County Bar Association
- Professionalism Committee, Past Member
- Community Foundation
- Wake County Advisory Board, Past Member
- White Memorial Presbyterian Church
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated
- Fellow, American Bar Association
- Served as lead employment lawyer in the representation of a publicly-traded specialty pharmaceutical company in its acquisition of a privately-traded specialty pharmaceutical company.
- Served as lead employment lawyer for numerous acquisitions by a multi-state, publicly-traded convenience store operator.
- Prepared executive employment agreement for the president and chief executive officer of a publicly-traded bank holding company.
- Responsible for executive employment agreements required for the succession of the chief executive officer of a publicly-traded, global manufacturer of consumable products.
- Successfully defended U.S. Department of Labor investigations of wage and hour exemption classification in various industries including banking, software, retail distributing, restaurant, civil engineering and pharmaceutical manufacturing.
- Successfully defended North Carolina Department of Labor investigation of wage payment practices for retail distributing company.
- Conducted internal audits of wage and hour and wage payment matters for clients in various industries, including banking, pharmaceutical manufacturing and sales, retail and internet/technology.
- Advised a multinational Fortune 500 provider of product development and integrated healthcare services on employment-related matters in its merger with a NYSE-listed global information and technology services company, creating a leading information and tech-enabled healthcare service provider. The equity market capitalization of the joined companies was more than $17.6 billion at closing.
- Advised a private equity fund on employment-related matters in connection with its acquisition, equity and debt financing of a reference laboratory.
- Advised a leading contract research organization on the employment law aspects of a definitive agreement to acquire a provider of contract research, clinical and regulatory and other consulting services.
- Advised a leading healthcare services provider on employment-related matters in connection with its $60 million cash acquisition of a global sourcing company.
- Advised a leading provider of pharmacy-based patient care solutions and medication synchronization services to independent and chain pharmacies on employment-related matters in its approximately $41 million sale of the company to a publicly-traded buyer.
- Advised a French multinational industrial and steel distributor on employment-related matters in connection with its acquisition of a controlling interest in a Virginia-based steel service center.
- Advised a frozen foods company on employment-related matters in connection with a definitive agreement to acquire a frozen snacks business.
- Appellate advocacy practice has included representation of clients before the North Carolina appellate courts, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of the United States.
News & Publications
- Published by WRAL, The News & Observer, Triangle Business Journal, CBS, Winston-Salem Journal, Goldsboro News-Argus, 11.15.2019
- Reprinted by Triangle Business Journal, May 27, 2016, edition, 05.27.2016
- Smith Anderson Represents General Parts International in $2.04 Billion Merger with Advance Auto Parts03.18.2014
- 2016Published by Practical Law™ Labor & Employment
- 2015Published by Practical Law™ Labor & Employment
- eTrends - Reminder: New Withholding Allowance Certificate is Required for Wage Payments Made On or After January 1, 201412.10.2013
- eTrends - DOL Provides Interpretation of Definition of "son or daughter" for FMLA Leave to Care for Disabled Adult Children03.26.2013
- eTrends - Additional States Join the Federal Department of Labor’s Initiative to Detect Misclassification of Employees as Independent Contractors07.31.2012
- eTrends - Bonus Payments May Jeopardize Use of the Fluctuating Work Week Method of Calculating Overtime08.31.2011
- eTrends - DOL Wage and Hour Division Finds Mortgage Loan Officers are Not Exempt Administrative Employees under FLSA in Newly-Issued “Administrator Interpretation”04.01.2010
- Contributor, Chapter 33, "Litigation Procedure," Employment Discrimination Law (3rd Edition 2002 Cumulative Supplement BNA)2002
- Presenter, "Are Your Employees Properly Classified?," Smith Anderson Live Webinar08.2013
- Presenter, "What is "Work Time" Under the Fair Labor Standards Act?," Smith Anderson Live Webinar06.2013
- Co-Presenter, "Recognizing and Avoiding Common Pitfalls Under the FLSA," Smith Anderson 27th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.11.2019
- Co-Presenter, "Evolving Leave Trends: Employer Challenges with Unlimited or Discretionary Leave, Paid Parental Leave and Mandatory Paid Sick Leave,” Smith Anderson 26th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.11.14.2018
- Co-Presenter, "A Case Study: Navigating Performance Issues in Light of the Minefield of Overlapping Laws on Mandatory Leave, Disability and Discrimination,” Smith Anderson 26th Annual Employment Law Update, Cary, N.C.11.14.2018
- Presenter, "Understanding the Department of Labor Proposed Overtime Changes," The City Club, Raleigh, N.C.03.2016
- Co-Presenter, "Wage and Hour Update: New Rules, New Interpretations and More," Smith Anderson’s 23rd Annual Employment Law Update10.2015
- Presenter, "Wage and Hour Update: What’s New and What May Be Coming," Smith Anderson’s 22nd Annual Employment Law Update11.2014
- Presenter, "Wage and Hour Update: What’s New and What May Be Coming," Smith Anderson’s 22nd Annual Employment Law Update10.2014
- Presenter, "Time and Money: Avoiding Commons Mistakes Under the FLSA and N.C. Wage and Hour Act," Smith Anderson’s 21st Annual Employment Law Update11.2013
- Presenter, "Recent Developments Regarding the FLSA, Worker Misclassification and DOL Rule Changes," Smith Anderson’s 19th Annual Employment Law Update11.2011
- Presenter, "Fair Labor Standards Act: Exemptions and Recent Court Decisions," Smith Anderson’s 18th Annual Employment Law Update10.2010
- Presenter, "Emerging Issues Under the Fair Labor Standards Act," Smith Anderson’s 17th Annual Employment Law Update10.2009
- Presenter, "Wage and Hour: Hot Topics," Smith Anderson’s 16th Annual Employment Law Update10.2008
- Presenter, "Fair Labor Standards Act: Highlights and New Cases," Smith Anderson’s 15th Annual Employment Law Update10.2007
Bar & Court Admissions
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- All North Carolina State Courts
University of North Carolina and Vermont Law School, J.D., with honors, 1981
University of North Carolina, M.P.H., 1978
Duke University, B.A., with honors 1974