Sandy Costa’s professional experience includes over 40 years in executive and senior operating management positions and board advisory roles within the pharmaceutical, health care and life sciences industries. In addition to his legal practice, Sandy's experience includes President, Chief Operating Officer and Vice Chairman of Quintiles Transnational Corp. where during his tenure he had responsibility for all operating divisions and worldwide business development. Other executive level experience includes Senior Vice President-Administration, General Counsel and Director, Glaxo Inc.; and U.S. Area Counsel for Merrell Dow Pharmaceuticals.
Sandy is a nationally recognized speaker on leadership, as well as legal and policy issues affecting the pharmaceutical industry. He is the author of Humanity at Work: Encouraging Spirit, Achievement and Truth to Flourish in the Workplace.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Member, Board of Directors, North Carolina Biotechnology Center
- Member, Chairman of the Board of Directors, Aquestive Therapeutics
- Member, Board of Directors, Cytokinetics, Inc.
- Member, Board of Directors, Metabolon Inc.
- Member, The Duke Brain Tumor Advisory Committee
- Member, The Duke Cancer Patient Support Program Board
- Member, Board of Trustees, Ravenscroft School
Honors & Awards
- Recipient, St. John’s University Alumni Outstanding Achievement Medal
News & Publications
- Public Company Appoints Smith Anderson Attorney Santo J. Costa as Chairman of the Board of Directors09.05.2018
- Former Pharmaceutical Executive, Smith Anderson Attorney Shares Stories of His “Influence of Exemplars”Venture with Virtue “Achieving Real Success” Podcast Series, 06.27.2018
- Sandy Costa Speaks at the Business and Professional Women Organization’s Young Careerist Competition03.26.2013
- Caryn McNeill, Craig Wheaton, and Sandy Costa Present at The ESOP Association’s 2012 Tri-Chapter Regional ESOP Conference05.04.2012
- Smith Anderson Sponsors Biotech/Life Science 2011 Conference - Sponsorship Complements Partners’ Board Service and Life Sciences Practice02.18.2011
- Smith Anderson Lawyers Speak at North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants’ Ethics Event Hosted by Vaco08.31.2010
- Smith Anderson Sponsors Biotech 2010 Conference - Sponsorship Complements Partners’ Board Service and Life Sciences Practice02.05.2010
- Author, "Getting Back on the Ethical High Road," Association News (January 2014)
- Author, "Humanity at Work," Chapel Hill Press (2nd printing, 2010)
- "How to Evaluate Whether Transition into a Public Company Structure Meets Your Company's Requirements, Panelist," The Citadel Directors' Institute, Charleston, S.C.04.2016
- Panelist, "Unique Issues for Boards in Healthcare Organizations (for-Profit & non-Profit)," The Citadel Directors' Institute, Charleston, S.C.04.2016
- "The Four Strategies to Being a Trusted Leader," speaking to staff of N.C. Attorney General10.2015
- "The Four Strategies to Being a Trusted Leader," 2015 Southeast BME Regional Conference10.2015
- The Luther Hodges Ethics Luncheon, The Rotary Club of the Research Triangle Park05.2015
- "Board Decision Making," National Association of Corporate Directors, Research Triangle Chapter, Directors' College04.2015
- "The Attributes of Great Leaders," Raleigh-Wake Human Resource Management Association's (RWHRMA) 2nd Annual Strategic HR Summit02.2014
- "Four Critical Stages for Building Trust (In a World Where It’s Fast Disappearing)," Charlotte Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel, Career Development Event07.2013
- "Strategies on Becoming a Trusted Leader in the Workplace," the Canadian Business Association of North Carolina06.2013
- "Humanity at Work and the Attributes of Great Leaders," Business and Professional Women (BPW) Organization of Raleigh, N.C., Young Careerist Competition03.2013
- "Four Critical Stages for Building Trust (In a World Where It’s Fast Disappearing)," Minnesota Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel01.2013