Miranda practices corporate and securities law, with an emphasis on representing private equity and venture capital investors, mezzanine lenders, and entrepreneurs in the formation, financing and general representation of early-stage start-ups, private growth and technology and life science companies. In addition, her mergers and acquisitions practice includes representation of business entities in connection with Hart-Scott-Rodino filings and anti-trust planning.
Miranda grew up outside of New York City and moved to the Bay Area for college, where she discovered amazing food (thank you Alice Waters). Outside of the office, Miranda's love of cooking (and eating) has led her to value fresh, local and delicious ingredients and farmers who grow the ingredients. Miranda has been fortunate to be able to combine her interests in helping entrepreneurs and increasing the availability of good food as an advocate for urban farming. Miranda serves on the board of directors of Raleigh City Farm (most recently as the chairman), a small non-profit organization in downtown Raleigh, with just under an acre of land tended to by a farmer-entrepreneur. Miranda also has her own sustainable urban backyard farm replete with six chickens, a vegetable patch and fruit trees, which supply her family and colleagues with fresh peaches and figs in the summer.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson in 2001, Miranda practiced in the Raleigh office of an international law firm headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia and at one of the 20 largest global law firms in New York.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Volunteer, NC LEAP (North Carolina Lawyers for Entrepreneurs Assistance Program), a project of the North Carolina Bar Association and the NCBA Foundation that provides free legal services to low-wealth entrepreneurs starting or expanding their businesses
- Volunteer, Legal Aid Lawyer on the Line, a pro bono partnership between N.C. Legal Aid and the N.C. Bar that provides legal assistance to indigent clients
- Raleigh City Farm, Chairman, Board of Directors
- Wake County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Venture Capital Law (2019-2022)
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society
Advised an international research-oriented healthcare group in its acquisition of worldwide product rights to a rare disease therapy.
- Advised a private equity fund in its acquisition of a leading provider of staffing resources to the biotechnology, pharmaceutical and medical device companies for clinical trial needs.
- Represented a national venture capital firm in a $1.35 billion secondary sale of securities in 31 portfolio companies.
- Represented a global contract research organization (CRO) in restructuring, $12.7 million equity financing and acquisition.
- Assisted provider of workforce solutions in its $1,357,690 preferred stock and warrant equity raise.
- Advised a SaaS company in its sale to a data integration public company.
- Represented a global contract research organization (CRO) in acquisition of services company for up to $28 million and $6 million preferred equity financing.
- Represented a global contract research organization (CRO) in $60 million equity and secured debt financing.
- Represented the institutional shareholders in connection with the $143 million sale of a global provider of outsourced development services to the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device industries.
- Represented a global solid state LED lighting and semiconductor manufacturing company in connection with its announced agreement for its $850 million sale of assets to a publicly traded German semiconductor company. The transaction was terminated before completion due to regulatory considerations.
- Advised a semiconductor and LED company on the divestiture of its lighting products business unit for an initial cash payment of $225 million plus the potential to receive an earn-out payment based on the business’s post-closing performance.
- Represented a regional venture capital fund in formation of life science portfolio company and Series A equity financing.
- Represented a specialty pharmaceutical company in a $120 million merger with a subsidiary of a publicly-traded international pharmaceutical company.
- Advised a publicly traded health services company in the acquisition of a health services division of a privately held company for $105 million in cash.
- Represented a biopharmaceutical-focused private equity firm in formation of portfolio company and $25 million Series A equity financing.
- Represented various lenders in equity co-investments in portfolio companies.
- Represented a life science company in equity and debt financings, providing general corporate advice, including advice on equity compensation.
- Represented a company in $25 million in preferred stock financing by major financial investor.
- Represented a medical device maker in start-up matters and equity financing.
- Represented a national venture capital fund in multiple early stage investments in technology and life science portfolio companies.
- Represented a life science company in $50 million mezzanine financing.
- Represented a regional venture capital firm in Series B financing in specialty pharmaceutical company.
- Represented lender in wind-down of distressed portfolio company.
- Represented early stage health care information company in Series A financing.
- Represented major health insurance company's private investment arm in early stage investment in health care technology company.
- Represented agbio company in all stages of equity financing, beginning with Series A round and culminating in its acquisition by global ag bio entity.
- Advised a private equity fund in its acquisition of a specialty pharmaceutical company.
News & Publications
- Hitting a New Milestone - 100 Members of Smith Anderson’s Legal Team Recognized by Best Lawyers® and Best Lawyers: Ones to WatchBest Lawyers, 08.19.2021
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- bioMASON Producing Environmentally Kind Bricks That are Revolutionizing the Building and Construction Industry—Receives $1.5 Million Investment02.24.2016
- Smith Anderson Represents General Parts International in $2.04 Billion Merger with Advance Auto Parts03.18.2014
- Co-Presenter, "The Money Food Chain - Sources of Capital for New & Growing Businesses (A Lawyer's Perspective)," NCACPA's 80th Annual Symposium, Greensboro, N.C.11.20.2019
- CLE titled, Art of the Venture Deal: Debt Financing for Early-Stage Companies, series hosted at Smith Anderson’s office, Raleigh, N.C., November 2013
- CLE titled, Art of the Venture Deal: Financing alternatives for start-up companies, series hosted at Smith Anderson's office, Raleigh, N.C., November 2012