Matt Rhoad joined Smith Anderson in August 2002, after completing a two-year clerkship with then Justice Sarah Parker of the North Carolina Supreme Court (now retired Chief Justice). Since 2003, his practice has primarily focused on public utility right of way acquisition projects, from initial project planning and neighborhood workshops through negotiations with landowners and ultimately eminent domain/condemnation action trials and appeals, as well as other public utility real estate issues, such as purchasing and sell property, easement negotiation and drafting, and negotiating and litigating encroachment, boundary, and title disputes. Matt also has significant experience in commercial real estate transactions and land use and zoning for landowners and developers.
Matt frequently presents at seminars involving topics related to eminent domain/condemnation, encroachments, easements, title disputes, boundary disputes, land use and zoning, real estate development, and commercial real estate.
Matt has served as Director, President, Vice-President, and Treasurer of the International Right of Way Association’s Carolinas Chapter; as President of the Wake County Real Property Lawyers Association; and as a member of the Section Council for the North Carolina Bar Association’s Zoning, Planning & Land Use group.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- International Right of Way Association (IRWA), Chapter Director (2017-2019); Chapter President (2016-2017); Chapter Vice President (2015-2016); Chapter Treasurer (2013-2015)
- Falls Whitewater Park Committee, Inc., Board of Directors (2015-2018)
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Real Property Section, Member
- Zoning, Planning & Land Use, Section Council (2011-2014)
- Land Use Law Quarterly, Co-Editor (2011-2014)
- Call 4All Volunteer
- Urban Land Institute (ULI), Member; Outreach Committee (2006-2010)
- Wake County Bar Association, Member
- Wake County Real Property Lawyers Association, President (2012); Vice President (2011)
- Downtown Raleigh Alliance (DRA), Membership Committee (2006-2010)
- Legal Aid of North Carolina, Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Raleigh Chamber of Commerce's Leadership Raleigh 20 Program
- Triangle Community Coalition, Board of Directors; Executive Committee; Treasurer (2012-2013)
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers®, Real Estate Law, Land Use and Zoning (2018-2021)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2014-2015)
- Triangle Business Journal's 2013 "40 Under 40" Leadership Award
- Acquisition of right of way for natural gas pipelines for numerous projects totaling over 900 miles.
- Acquisition of right of way for electrical transmission lines for several projects totaling over 400 miles.
- Represented several municipalities in acquiring rights of way for water, sewer, and other projects.
- Sale of several properties in Research Triangle Park totaling over $20 million.
- Obtained a special use permit for an industrial landfill expansion.
- Obtained a rezoning and special use permits for several aggregate mining operations for a publicly-traded and leading producer of construction aggregates.
- Oversaw all real estate and land use matters arising from acquisition of over 9 aggregate quarries in multiple states.
- Obtained rezoning and special use permits for several asphalt plants and sand mines.
- Obtained rezoning and special use permit for 5-story multi-use project in historic Raleigh, North Carolina shopping center.
- Represented a client in opposing zoning interpretation before the Board of Adjustment for the Town of Clayton.
News & Publications
- 2021 Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch Recognize Largest Group of Smith Anderson Lawyers in Firm’s HistoryThe 2021 Best Lawyers®, 08.20.2020
- Smith Anderson Leads “Best Lawyers®” Rankings with 71 Recognized Lawyers and 11 “Lawyers of the Year” - Most of Any Raleigh Law FirmThe Best Lawyers in America©, 08.20.2019
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 08.15.2017
- North Carolina Lawyers Weekly, 09.15.2016
- Matt Rhoad to Serve on the Section Council of the Zoning, Planning, and Land Use Section of the NCBA04.15.2011
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Middle Districts of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
University of North Carolina, J.D., 2000
- Order of the Coif
Wake Forest University, B.A. magna cum laude, 1996