Lori Fuller joined Smith Anderson in 2019 after serving as General Counsel for the North Carolina Department of Information Technology (DIT). One of the leading technology lawyers for state government, Lori was the first lawyer ever assigned by the Attorney General’s Office to advise State Information Processing Services and Information Technology Services, the predecessor agencies of DIT. Lori has extensive knowledge and experience in information technology, IT procurement and complex contract negotiations.
In her role as General Counsel for DIT, Lori served as the chief legal advisor to the Secretary of DIT/State Chief Information Technology Officer, enabling successful decisions in legislative policy, IT procurement and administrative law issues. In addition to leading negotiations on complex multi-million dollar contracts for cloud computing, IT security, broadband and enterprise systems for statewide implementation, Lori also consulted with the Governor’s General Counsel on IT legal issues of statewide impact.
Prior to joining DIT, Lori was the Deputy General Counsel for Logistics for the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) where she was recognized for her economic development work as lead legal counsel for NCDOT’s Rail Division, NC State Ports Authority, NC Global TransPark Authority and Foreign Trade Zone 214, forming public-private partnerships, negotiating complex rail, seaport and airport construction and government contracts and foreign trade projects for the state.
Outside of the office, Lori has served as a guest lecturer in business law courses at UNC, NC State and Meredith College.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Wake County Bar Association
- Past Member, Board of Directors
- Past Member, Athletic Committee
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Past Member, Council on Government & Public Sector, Council on Law Practice Management and Council on Technology Law
- Graduate, NC Center for Women in Public Service (merged with NC Institute of Political Leadership)
- Past Member, SAFEchild Board of Directors
- Past Member, Carolina Parents Council of the Carolina Parents Association, UNC-Chapel Hill
- Junior League of Raleigh
- Past Vice President for Training & Communications, Board of Directors
- Editor, theLINK magazine
- Sustainer (2006-present)
- Former Leader, Girl Scout Troop 1449
- National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Colonel Polk Chapter
- The National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century, Sir Walter Raleigh Chapter
Honors & Awards
- Recognition, Foreign Trade Zone #214
- Former member, International Law Journal, UNC-Chapel Hill School of Law
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Lori:
- Negotiated first IT Public-Private Partnership for the State of North Carolina developing a $20 million “source to pay” system.
- Represented the State of North Carolina in the $220 million development of an economic development site for an advanced manufacturing facility in a Tier 1 county.
News & Publications
- Guest Lecturer, UNC, NCSU and Meredith College, Business Law courses
- Panelist, Business Symposium, University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler Business School, Chapel Hill, N.C.2008
- Authored and presented CLE on “Information Technology Procurement for the State of North Carolina,” NC Department of Justice2004
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of North Carolina
University of North Carolina, J.D., 1985
University of North Carolina, B.A., 1982