Josiah Irvin is an attorney with Smith Anderson’s Regulatory practice, with a focus on advising clients on health care matters.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Josiah was an associate with an international law firm in Washington, D.C. and New York City, where he practiced in the firm’s health care group. He provided contractual, transactional, compliance and regulatory advice to a wide range of clients, including managed care organizations; digital health companies; hospitals, behavioral health providers; renal care providers; pharmacies; pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers; and alternative and innovative health care providers.
Josiah has experience advising clients on regulatory compliance, including reimbursement under federal health care programs and health care fraud and abuse laws such as the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute and the False Claims Act; state practice and licensure requirements; insurer regulation; and compliance program requirements. He also has experience advising clients on data privacy, protection and security matters under HIPAA and state privacy and security laws, and on federal information blocking requirements.
Josiah enjoys running, spending time with family and friends, rooting for the Tar Heels and gardening.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Josiah:
- Advised health care providers and insurers -value-based contracting, corporate governance, charitable organization requirements, formation of joint ventures, and value.
- Advised pharmaceutical manufacturers and other life science companies on Anti-Kickback Statute compliance.
- Counseled digital health companies and health care providers on HIPAA, information blocking and CCPA compliance.
- Counseled health care providers on responding to potential data security and privacy breaches.
- Advised private equity firms on investments in a variety of health care targets, including management services organizations, physician group practices, pharmacies, digital health companies, behavioral health providers and kidney care providers.
- Advised Fortune 500 insurance company on acquisition of a non-profit Medicaid health plan.
- Defended digital health company in connection with civil and criminal investigations by U.S. Department of Justice into alleged Medicare and Medicaid fraud and violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Defended Fortune 100 health care company in connection with investigations by a U.S. Attorney’s Office and state Attorneys General into alleged Medicare and Medicaid fraud.
- Managed all aspects of internal investigation of a health care system.
- Conducted an internal targeted compliance audit of a medical device manufacturer.
News & Publications
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., with Health Care concentration, magna cum laude, 2016
- Articles Editor, Boston University Law Review
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., 2011
- Phi Beta Kappa National Honors Society
- Economics National Honors Society