Joshua Diver focuses his practice on representing public and private companies in mergers and acquisitions, venture capital financings, asset purchases and dispositions, joint ventures and stock offerings. Josh works with businesses both large and small, from start-up and growth companies to large public companies, and in a variety of industries, including life sciences, technology, financial services and manufacturing. In addition to his transactional work, Josh is an experienced advisor to public companies and investors concerning securities laws and corporate governance matters, including Sarbanes-Oxley, fiduciary duties, defensive takeover protections and strategies, 1934 Act compliance and disclosure matters, shareholder proposals, and proxy contests.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Josh practiced corporate law in the Boston office of a global law firm.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- African Leadership Foundation Host Family
- Citizens Schools, Writing Coach
Honors & Awards
- Note & Comment Editor, North Carolina Journal of International Law & Commercial Regulation
- Recipient, Gressman-Pollitt Award for Best Appellant in Oral Argument
- Member, Holderness National Moot Court Team
- Advised a publicly traded, global tobacco company on its $50 billion merger with another major publicly traded tobacco company.
- Represented a publicly traded company and leading provider of end-to-end spend management solutions in its sale of the company to a leading technology-focused private equity firm for approximately $509 million.
- Represented the world’s largest public company provider of biopharmaceutical development services and commercial outsourcing services in connection with its joint venture with the world’s leading public company provider of diagnostic information services to form a global clinical trials laboratory services business with annual revenues of approximately $575 million.
- Represented a publicly-traded and leading provider of end-to-end spend management solutions in its acquisition by a leading technology-focused private equity firm.
- Advised a global CRO business in the staged acquisition of the leading interactive response technology provider for $75 million in value
- Represented a public medical device company in its $500 million acquisition of a product line from a public industrial company.
- Advised a publicly traded supplier of water and water dispensers in an agreement to acquire by merger a publicly traded competitor for $263 million in cash and stock.
- Represented a public bank holding company in its $233 million acquisition of another public bank holding company.
- Represented European bank in a $900 million sale of asset-based lending business to U.S. based bank.
- Advised a leading provider of financial software and information products to U.S. financial institutions in a reverse triangular merger with a private equity-backed company.
- Represented public clean energy company in a strategic alliance with a European multinational energy company.
- Represented a closely-held chemical manufacturing company in its sale to a European multinational chemical manufacturing company.
- Represented a public technology company in its $50 million acquisition of another public technology company.
- Represented a public medical device company in its $38 million acquisition of assets from private medical device company.
- Represented a company in the sale of its contract drug manufacturing organization business for approximately $12 million in cash.
- Advised a global supplier of chemical and slurry delivery equipment in an agreement to sell all of its issued and outstanding common stock to a process and mechanical contractor.
- Represented a test preparation services company in its acquisition of a test preparation software company.
- Represented a public bank holding company in its joint venture with a public payment processing company.
- Represented private equity fund in its acquisition of a savings and loan association.
- Represented public bank holding company it its $10 million sale of a private trust company to another public bank holding company.
- Represented a public banking holding company in its $62 million acquisition of another public bank holding company.
- Represented a public banking holding company in its $93 million sale of bank subsidiary in connection with management-led buyout.
- Represented medical services company in a bolt-on acquisition.
- Advised a private equity-backed medical device repair services company in the sale of its wholly-owned operating subsidiaries to a strategic buyer operating in the medical device repair services industry.
- Represented a private equity fund in its purchase of stock issued by late-stage private technology company.
- Represented public life sciences company in private placement of common stock and warrants.
- Represented public life sciences company in registered direct offering of common stock and warrants.
- Represented numerous private companies in venture financing transactions.
- Advised a UK-based drug development services organization in its acquisition of an expert clinical pharmacology business.
Advised a UK-based drug development services organization in the acquisitions of multiple pharmaceutical contract development and manufacturing organizations.
- Advised a leading provider of drone technology for the enterprise in the purchase of substantially all assets of a provider of analytics tools and machine vision software for renewable energy.
- Advised a leading provider of drone technology for the enterprise in the purchase of substantially all assets of a drone service provider focused on critical infrastructure inspections.
News & Publications
- Smith Anderson Assists in Advising British American Tobacco in Merger Agreement with Reynolds American01.17.2017
- Panelist, "Seed to Series Investor Panel Discussion," NewVentures Triad Startup Demo Day, Winston-Salem, N.C.09.06.2019
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., 2007
University of Massachusetts at Amherst, B.A., Economics, magna cum laude, 2003
Phi Beta Kappa