Jim Wrenn is a business attorney whose practice is focused on serving as general counsel for numerous health care providers, business entities, governmental entities and non-profit organizations. In his capacity as general counsel, Jim provides his clients with the legal advice necessary to comply with their legal obligations and position themselves to meet their goals and objectives. He frequently finds himself providing counsel on issues related to corporate governance, health care regulations, human resources, environmental compliance, contracting (including meeting state and federal contracting requirements), taxation, economic development, litigation, lobbying and internal investigations. He also regularly represents clients in connection with the acquisition and sale of businesses, particularly in the healthcare field. Jim also serves as a registered lobbyist for several governmental, non-profit, and health care organizations.
Jim most enjoys situations where clients’ legal needs and policy goals intersect so that he can help them prepare for the future rather than act reactively once a situation is beyond their control.
Prior to joining Smith Anderson, Jim was a member of a boutique firm in Oxford, North Carolina for nearly 20 years.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Health Law Section
News & Publications
Bar & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Courts for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. Tax Court
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2000
- Virginia Military Institute, B.A., International Studies, 1997
- The Honorable Karen Johnson Williams of the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals (2000-2001)